Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Favorite digital tire gauge for track?

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Old 01-04-20, 03:10 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Rather than a digital floor pump, I'd like to use a hand-held gauge (with bleed valve) to check pressure after using any pump. This will see track and road duty. Do you have any favorites after testing some options?

Silca's Viaggio travel pump looks impressive, btw. I'd like to get one, in addition to a hand-held gauge. Too bad they don't make a gauge that any pump can be plugged into, would love that versatility.
Old 01-04-20, 10:13 PM
KrispyK

Bikes: Bianchi superpista and boardwalk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts
I use a combination of my Silca Superpista digital pump and the SKS Airchecker digital. My Airchecker comes with me everywhere and is really close in accuracy to the Silca even after dropping it a fair number of times.
Old 01-05-20, 08:50 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
I've also got the Airchecker. It's pretty close with my Superpista, supposedly the new version is even more accurate.
Old 01-05-20, 04:20 PM
Super D

Originally Posted by KrispyK
I use a combination of my Silca Superpista digital pump and the SKS Airchecker digital. My Airchecker comes with me everywhere and is really close in accuracy to the Silca even after dropping it a fair number of times.
Originally Posted by Morelock
I've also got the Airchecker. It's pretty close with my Superpista, supposedly the new version is even more accurate.
Was going to order the SKS, but I see so many reviews complaining about durability issues and poor quality... Sounds like your SKS has been solid, though, no issues?

Edit: Oh, what the hell, it’s cheap, I’ll just get it and see. How bad could it be? ...Famous last words

Last edited by Super D; 01-05-20 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 06:37 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Super Dave I have had good luck out of mine. I originally primarily bought it to check tire pressure at work (cars) but ended up comparing it to my Silca pumps and now I take it with me when I travel to races. It's hit the ground quite a few times, one that I was sure would break it, but has held up really well over the last two years.
Likes For Morelock:
Old 01-06-20, 09:39 AM
Super D

Originally Posted by Morelock
Super Dave I have had good luck out of mine. I originally primarily bought it to check tire pressure at work (cars) but ended up comparing it to my Silca pumps and now I take it with me when I travel to races. It's hit the ground quite a few times, one that I was sure would break it, but has held up really well over the last two years.
Thank you, ordered yesterday, will enjoy using it no doubt. 👍
Old 01-11-20, 11:41 PM
Super D

Tried the SKS today...when you bleed air, do you have to take the gauge off and re-seat it to get the new reading?

Also, does the bleed button stick for you sometimes!
Old 01-12-20, 12:04 AM
KrispyK

If you press the mode button once, The numbers on the screen should start to flash and it will give you a live readout of the pressure as you bleed it.

Never had any issues with the bleed valve sticking.
Old 01-12-20, 12:09 AM
KrispyK

If you press the mode button once, The numbers on the screen should start to flash and it will give you a live readout of the pressure as you bleed it.

Never had any issues with the bleed valve sticking.
Just checked the SKS website. The manual on the website and the website page show two different aircheckers. The website page shows one with 2 buttons. The online manual shows a airchecker with a single button and needs to reset to get a new reading, Unlike the one on the website page which will do live readings
Old 01-12-20, 09:51 AM
Super D

Just checked the SKS website. The manual on the website and the website page show two different aircheckers. The website page shows one with 2 buttons. The online manual shows a airchecker with a single button and needs to reset to get a new reading, Unlike the one on the website page which will do live readings
Darn, I got the single button version.
Old 01-16-20, 04:06 PM
bartek. 

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been using Topeak Smartgauge D2 for about 2-3 years now. It's fine however no option to check pressure in disc wheels. The SKS looks more promising on this.

Recently, a button for "live checking" you were talking above has started not to response for each click. So I may take a look closer for the SKS ;-)