Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Returned to Cycling After Sports Car Phase

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-29-21, 06:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts

About 18 years ago a friend of my wife drove to our house in a 1972 911S with sport exhaust and threw me the keys. I took it out for 45 minutes and was utterly hooked. The power, the sound, the classic shape were absolutely intoxicating. I pretty much gave up cycling and got into pre-74 911s. Joined a sports car club or two and spent my free time working on the cars, making them lighter and perform better. I learned a ton and improved my mechanical skills. Meanwhile my bikes sat collecting dust. Weekends were spent driving with the club, along with club dinners and lunch drives. I found to my shock that sports car guys eat crap food. I was a bit shocked at first but ate the way I usually did with an occasional cheeseburger and fries. Did week long drives with the club to California where we would drive more and of course eat. One thing about pre-74 cars is no catalytic converters and the exhaust was a mix of unburnt fuel, oil and normal combustion. In other words, don’t get trapped behind one, or worse yet, 6 or more.

With COVID and the increasingly alarming changes to the climate, I decided it was time to be a bit more responsible pollution and food-wise. (My weight during those years went up 15 lbs). In 2020, I sold off my cars and returned to my first love, cycling.My fitness was abysmal, endurance horrible and hill climbing an absolute miserable struggle. After almost a year and a half, I don’t miss sports cars, and their horrendous expense. Since then my fitness and mental attitude have greatly improved. I lost the 15 lbs and in general feel much better. When we get through COVID I will meet again with my car-nut friends for a beer since I miss the comradeship. What I wont miss are the exhaust fumes and getting 12 MPG on supreme.

Now my life is about improving fitness and buying bike toys, like my new Garmin 830 to track my fitness and structure workouts - something I have never done but will be fun to explore, especially if it works.

Anyone gone through this or something similar? Left and returned to cycling, the great time machine that it is?

Old 08-29-21, 07:04 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Yep. I rode a bicycle as a young teen, but abandoned it when I got my drivers license. I started cycling again in my early 30's, first on a road bike, then switching to the new fad - mountain bikes! Did than until I had enough crashes and kids are now graduating from High School. Bought a new Triumph motorcycle, than another (vintage) and that occupied me until my mid 50's. Following our eldest daughters pretty bad motorcycle accident (she was ultimately OK), my wife decided she wasn't riding any more. I didn't enjoy riding by myself, so I sold the new bike, and kept the vintage (Triumph's). Eventually, I sold the vintage as well 10 years ago, we bought a '79 MGB that is stupid fun to drive and cheap to keep. Just before COVID, I started cycling again and now it's become my primary source of exercise and enjoyment. I belong to a British auto club here in Maryland and they do enjoy food and beer!
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 08-29-21, 07:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Get a Miata? I get real world 33mpg even having a blast on the back roads and I'm saving for a turbo kit for a little more power. Car can be insanely fun; with cross season approaching I haven't decided if the car is an excuse to find the cross races in the fun to reach places or that cross races are in more rural areas and a fun excuse to drive the car. Either way I like both.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 08-30-21, 02:57 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Get a Miata? I get real world 33mpg even having a blast on the back roads and I'm saving for a turbo kit for a little more power. Car can be insanely fun; with cross season approaching I haven't decided if the car is an excuse to find the cross races in the fun to reach places or that cross races are in more rural areas and a fun excuse to drive the car. Either way I like both.
I am currently "babysitting" a 2010 Miata with 29,266 miles. It is a blast. Owner asked me to use it since he went back to Canada and might not be coming back down due to COVID.

p.s. -- he said I have 1st dibs and wife said she would pay for it.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-30-21, 04:12 AM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
As a kid, I raced BMX and pretty much lived on a bike. I worked in a bike shop, rode for miles and miles and just knew bikes inside and out. I was 13 with a Bicycling magazine subscription, dreaming of campagnolo.

Then I got my first car — a Triumph — and forgot all of that. Over the years I had 3 Triumphs, 3 MGs, a Miata and s few BMWs. I worked for car magazines. I restored classics. I loved them.

In college I bought a mountain bike and rode it everywhere. But then jobs and kids conspired to keep it collecting dust, too.

But then, the cars long ago stopped being a livelihood for me, and even pre-COVID I questioned how much I was still interested in the hobby. Over the past year or so I’ve had no interest. Instead, I find myself returning more and more to the bikes of my youth. They’re still out there, still very capable (more than I am), still beautiful and cheap.

So I find myself back where I started. And that’s pretty good.
Old 08-30-21, 07:27 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,169 Times in 682 Posts
i recently just bought a triumph spitfire. am i in trouble?
Likes For spelger:
Old 08-30-21, 07:53 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob

Anyone gone through this or something similar? Left and returned to cycling, the great time machine that it is?
Why not continue to do both? Did you keep it? Air-cooled Porsches command silly money these days so it's probably prudent to hold on to it. I have my 997 that sees a couple of track weekends a year, and I often take my bike with me.
Likes For mpath:
Old 08-30-21, 08:29 AM
msalvetti

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 425 Posts
I have a 1979 911SC Targa that I've had almost 30 years. Gearbox rebuild in the works, so I understand the costs. Can't imagine selling it, although I know it's not the same as an early car. I'm just getting into cycling, but for me it will never replace my car side.

Whatever makes you happy is the way to go.

Mark
Likes For msalvetti:
Old 08-30-21, 09:34 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
I've yet to hear many say they regret going back to cycling
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-30-21, 10:40 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
I have had many lovers. I rode all over creation more out of necessity than love until I got a driver's license. I then explored all the far away places I could not get to on a bike, exploring and taking pictures. After that, surfing. After that, skiing. I loved them all. I returned to cycling in my early 30s, and got hooked like a tuna. None of my previous lovers have had the same staying power. Now I find myself riding my bike the same places I used to drive my car, and again, exploring and taking pictures.

I have a car some regard as a sporty car and in any case, it is enjoyable to drive brisky in the mountains. And when time permits, I'll still either begin or end the day with a short romp through the mountains in it.

To me, it's not an either/or. Semi-retirement is on the horizon for me in the near future, and I see re-introducing myself to some of my old flames soon. Among other things, I need to get back in touch with my aquatic self.

Likes For Biker395:
Old 08-30-21, 11:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by mpath
Why not continue to do both? Did you keep it? Air-cooled Porsches command silly money these days so it's probably prudent to hold on to it. I have my 997 that sees a couple of track weekends a year, and I often take my bike with me.
very cool. Since there are some P-car fans: Had a 73 911S (graduated HS in 73 and dad is German) which I restored and sold at the height of the bubble. It now resides in a Philippine collection, and the proceeds were invested. Did buy an 82 SC which I hot rodded and now lives in NY. I do have one car left, a 71 914 which I drive very occasionally on nice days. The suspension, though completely rebuilt and upgraded is too harsh for anything over 3 hours an the engine was upgraded to a carbed 3 ltr. It has massive torque which is good fun. On a nice day, I would still rather ride these days.

Other car bought and sold was a 72 911T.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-30-21 at 11:52 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-30-21, 12:17 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I am currently "babysitting" a 2010 Miata with 29,266 miles. It is a blast. Owner asked me to use it since he went back to Canada and might not be coming back down due to COVID.

Just have to get a proper rack on there, nothing like heading over a catskill tn with 15-20mph switchbacks and doing twice the recommended speed with the tires giving the occasional squeal to let you know you're pushing it and then being able to hop on the bike at your destination.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 08-30-21, 12:25 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
About 18 years ago a friend of my wife drove to our house in a 1972 911S with sport exhaust and threw me the keys. I took it out for 45 minutes and was utterly hooked. The power, the sound, the classic shape were absolutely intoxicating ... pre-74 911s. Joined a sports car club or two ...
Definitely hard to give up, when it's classic 911's you're dabbling with. Have driven classic 911T and S, a couple of mid-'80s Carreras, a 993 Carrera. Beautiful machines.

As some have suggested, while certainly no Porsche, a Mazda Miata's not a bad way to go. If you get one with a professionally-installed turbo system it can be most of the power you remember with vastly lower maintenance and "fiddling" expenses. Even the normally-aspirated ones scoot right along, when the revs are kept in the range the car's designed for. Might be a way to have your cake and eat it too.

Welcome back to cycling, and all the working on that "engine" it requires.
Old 08-30-21, 02:59 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

A friend of mine has a Miata which I have driven, and have to say it was a marvelous machine. He absolutely loves it and I can see why; definitely a more civilized ride than my 914-6. A turbo would definitely be a rush on the Miata.

And yes am definitely doing a lot of engine work. Ready to start a training plan this winter and rip some new PRs.

Old 08-30-21, 03:36 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Into bicycling originally, till driver’s license, then sports cars, now more into cycling. Still have a couple sports cars, need something a little more complex to wrench on then bikes, which really aren’t much of a challenge mechanically.
Not too worried about the environment, only driving them 2 to 3 thousand miles per year. Much more engaging then a modern car, but hanging out with cyclists, much better for your health, then the sports car crowd.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 08-30-21 at 03:39 PM.
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 08-30-21, 03:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Always loved the design of the TR-6. And the MG is a classic

Old 08-30-21, 04:28 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i recently just bought a triumph spitfire. am i in trouble?
Yes, but in a good way.
Likes For Warbird21:
Old 08-30-21, 04:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
I was off the bike for 15 years. After racing for 12 years, I hung it up in '04 to focus on being a dad, and got into some other hobbies during that time. My weight climbed by 60 lbs, and my health stats were starting to get concerning. In Dec. '19, I got back on the bike again, and dropped 40 lbs over the following 6 months. I am on the bike 3-4 times per week pretty consistently, with a goal of 100 miles/week. It feels good to be (moderately) fast and strong on the bike again. I'll never get back to the fitness I used to have, and that's fine. I'm doing a lot more rides for the fun of it - rather than the pain of it - than I used to.
Old 08-30-21, 04:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
My dad had a '72 (I think) 914 1.8L (dual Weber carbs) for a while when I was in HS. Not very powerful, for sure, but definitely a fun little car. He always lusted after the 914-6 like yours.
Old 08-30-21, 05:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Eric F
I was off the bike for 15 years. After racing for 12 years, I hung it up in '04 to focus on being a dad, and got into some other hobbies during that time. My weight climbed by 60 lbs, and my health stats were starting to get concerning. In Dec. '19, I got back on the bike again, and dropped 40 lbs over the following 6 months. I am on the bike 3-4 times per week pretty consistently, with a goal of 100 miles/week. It feels good to be (moderately) fast and strong on the bike again. I'll never get back to the fitness I used to have, and that's fine. I'm doing a lot more rides for the fun of it - rather than the pain of it - than I used to.
Has me wondering how many other sports people leave and then return to years later with the same enthusiasm? Tennis? Downhill skiing? Of course how many solo sports are there besides cycling, hiking, sky diving?

Last edited by rsbob; 08-30-21 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-30-21, 07:29 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
My downfall was getting into Classic Musclecars - and, of course, Femaliens...
Old 08-31-21, 01:54 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1725 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Have always been a bicycle and car guy. At age 14 I declared my destiny was to work in the bike biz, which I have done for a long time. I also have ASE certification, worked on muscle cars, had a few imports, and one sports car that is completely misunderstood by all the world.
Porsche 914. The 911 guys call it a VW, which it kinda is, the sports car nuts call it a joke, but those of us that have owned one call it a heck of a lot of fun! My neighbor had a 914/6 and I had the lowly 1.8. Without a doubt the /6 is a head turner as it whizzes by a 911 going through the bends. No question in my mind the 914 is the greatest of them all, but misunderstood and underestimated in the /6 format, especially with an upgraded 911 powerplant in it and modified to handle it.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-31-21, 11:20 AM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Rode race bikes for a long time.

Likes For afm199:
Old 08-31-21, 02:14 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy

Several years ago I flew down to FL to retrieve a 20 yr old Miata for a friend who had inherited it from her dad. It was in perfect condition. i owned a Focus ST at the time. And, my adult life had been spent with Corvettes, Lotus, BMW, Audi, etc. So, basically I have been a car junkie. The first day on the road to CT I was dismayed. It was under-powered. It didn't stop very well and it's handling was just OK. I was not looking forward to day two on the road. But, day two came and off I went. Then something occurred to me. Drive the car the way it wants to be driven. Anticipate the need to accelerate and brake. Be gentle and careful in picking a line through corners. After the change in my attitude it all came together. It was never going to be what I was used to but it did leave a smile on my face. It also helped that it looked like my 1970 Lotus Elan.
Old 08-31-21, 02:19 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by afm199
Rode race bikes for a long time.

In my case cycling has taken the place of my Ducati. This is my 6th and last Ducati. I used to do things like go from CT to the west coast, camping all the way. But, this year I think I've had this bike out 3 times to go to my local tavern.
Likes For bruce19:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.