Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loose Rear Hub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Loose Rear Hub

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 06:42 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Loose Rear Hub

The rear hub on my MTB is a bit loose, that is, I can wiggle the wheel side-to-side and there is play at the bearings. Not much, maybe a millimeter or two. The bike rides fine, and when I spin the wheel, it spins freely. Is this an issue that I need to be concerned about? I contacted Performance to see if they had replacement bearings for the Forte hub, but they did not (a 26" Forte Terramax wheel). Is there a way to adjust (tighten) the bearings if I needed to?
Old 02-07-22, 09:15 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
Most likely your rear hub uses loose balls in what is called a cup and cone design. This type of bearing is quite easy to take apart to discover what's actually going on. From mere loose bearing adjustments to worn/damaged parts is possible but w/o X ray vision you won't know and only doing a bearing adjustment won't address any need for lube or replacement parts. I suggest you do a little homework on what you have and how it's assembled, Park Tool's Big Blue Book Park Tool | Repair Help Articles is a good first source for detailed info and a list of tools to do hub servicing.

Given the M80's age and taht the hub was likely loose long before you noticed it, I would wager that you will find worn/pitted axle cones, possible hub shell cups too. Back in the day we use to tell our customers that this in depth level of servicing should be done at least every 5 years, sooner if a lot of rain or more than average miles are at play. Andy
Old 02-07-22, 09:22 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
The first step is figuring out whether you have loose ball bearings or cartridge. This is a common problem on loose ball hubs, so assuming you have those, here are two more places to start (in addition to the Park Tool blog posted above)

Cone adjustment: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

Hub overhaul: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/hubs.html
Old 02-07-22, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I can wiggle the wheel side-to-side and there is play at the bearings. Not much, maybe a millimeter or two.
Where are you measuring the millimeter or two? If out at the wheel rim then that might not be an issue.
Old 02-07-22, 09:37 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
That much play is significant. Any play at all will eventually lead to bearing damage. For a decent mechanic with the right tools and supplies, it's easy to service and rebuild. But the failure is not typically violent or dangerous, so if you don't care much about the bike or it's not very valuable, and it's not important for your next paycheck, just keep riding it.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-07-22, 11:07 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 1,268 Times in 875 Posts
IF it's a cup & cone type, tightening the QR tighter will remove slack.
Old 02-07-22, 09:16 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
That much play is significant. Any play at all will eventually lead to bearing damage.
Actually, for lower-end hubs it is often impossible to eliminate play without there being some binding in the bearings. It is better to avoid the binding and have a bit of play than the other way around.
Old 02-07-22, 09:22 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Actually, for lower-end hubs it is often impossible to eliminate play without there being some binding in the bearings. It is better to avoid the binding and have a bit of play than the other way around.
A tiny bit, but this is probably more than needed - it's probably not loose from wear, but from the cones and locknuts having backed off together over the years.

I'd take it apart, clean, inspect/feel the cups and cones and at least regrease if not replace the balls (most likely 1/4" and readily replaced).

Even if one is going to ride pitted cones or cups into the ground, there's undoubtably a better compromise of rotational freedom and little (but not zero) play possible.

And it will be better clean with new grease than as is.
Old 02-07-22, 11:03 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Contact Performance and ask them what sized cartridge bearing fits their hub on that wheel,
Old 02-08-22, 04:28 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by TPL
Contact Performance and ask them what sized cartridge bearing fits their hub on that wheel,
I did. They identified the sealed, cartridge bearings and told me they no longer have them in stock.
Old 02-08-22, 04:32 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by TPL
I don't know how "low-end" these are. They have sealed cartridge bearings.
Old 02-08-22, 04:39 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Most likely your rear hub uses loose balls in what is called a cup and cone design. This type of bearing is quite easy to take apart to discover what's actually going on. From mere loose bearing adjustments to worn/damaged parts is possible but w/o X ray vision you won't know and only doing a bearing adjustment won't address any need for lube or replacement parts. I suggest you do a little homework on what you have and how it's assembled, Park Tool's Big Blue Book Park Tool | Repair Help Articles is a good first source for detailed info and a list of tools to do hub servicing.

Given the M80's age and taht the hub was likely loose long before you noticed it, I would wager that you will find worn/pitted axle cones, possible hub shell cups too. Back in the day we use to tell our customers that this in depth level of servicing should be done at least every 5 years, sooner if a lot of rain or more than average miles are at play. Andy
The Terramax wheel from Forte https://www.performancebike.com/fort...AaAi6sEALw_wcB has sealed-bearing cartridge hubs. I don't know how to adjust them. Performance does not stock them.
Old 02-08-22, 07:55 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
If you really want to try to rebuild it, pull bearing(s) with a proper tool, or take the risk of damaging the hub by using an improper one (that's what I do). There are probably numbers on the bearing. Search for a replacement bearing, probably pretty cheap from a machine supplier somewhere--buy a few. Installing with a homemade press, made from threaded rod, washers, and wrench sockets, is generally easier than removal.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 02-08-22, 10:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

My mistake on the hub bearing. I didn't google the bike model or the wheel and assumed that the bike is a lower end one then it turns out to be.

Most cartridge bearings used in bicycle hub applications are of a radial; contact design. These are not meant to be adjustable and are designed with some amount of float. For the longest bearing life the preload should be such that the inner and outer races are centered WRT each other. This is often done with good tolerancing in the machining of the shell and support sleeve (be that a separate sleeve or shoulders turned on the axle that the inner race seats against) or sometimes thin shims. A very few hubs (Suzie/SunTour) had the inner race sit on a threaded carrier that could be moved along the axle and trapped in place with a lock nut. The Sutherland's Manual (6th eddition page 10-8, scan attached) shows this stuff in easy to understand form.

Most cartridge bearings are available from various industrial suppliers and some consumer focused bike parts suppliers. Usually a bearing will have the spec number molderd onto the sealing ring or etched on the race. Most bike used cartridge bearings are dimensioned with the metric system. As example, a common rear hub bearing is a 6001 (2 RS, meaning two "rubber" seals). This bearing is dimensioned as 12x28x8 or 12mm ID, 28MM OD and 8mm thick. Andy
Old 02-08-22, 10:14 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I did. They identified the sealed, cartridge bearings and told me they no longer have them in stock.
Typically, a sealed cartridge bearing can be easily found at bearing supply shops or eBay (cheapest option). I can typically buy a tube of ten bearings via eBay for less than the price of ONE bearing. Bearings usually have a number on them.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 02-08-22, 11:24 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
If you really want to try to rebuild it, pull bearing(s) with a proper tool, or take the risk of damaging the hub by using an improper one (that's what I do). There are probably numbers on the bearing. Search for a replacement bearing, probably pretty cheap from a machine supplier somewhere--buy a few. Installing with a homemade press, made from threaded rod, washers, and wrench sockets, is generally easier than removal.
Thanks. I didn't know that bearings are generic and interchangeable. I had assumed they were proprietary. Cool. I'm going to bring it to the L.B.S.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 02-08-22 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-08-22, 11:27 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Thanks, Andrew R. Stewart.. This gives me an idea of the specs I am looking for.
Old 02-10-22, 01:06 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
IF it's a cup & cone type, tightening the QR tighter will remove slack.
Maybe not as much slack as the OP is describing...
Old 02-10-22, 03:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by sweeks
Maybe not as much slack as the OP is describing...
"I can wiggle the wheel side-to-side and there is play at the bearings. Not much, maybe a millimeter or two."

OP isn't describing enough for you to quote me on saying it isn't.
If they are ham handed enough, they can probably make the wheel bind.
Old 02-10-22, 08:26 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
OP isn't describing enough for you to quote me on saying it isn't.
If they are ham handed enough, they can probably make the wheel bind.
I *did* say "maybe".
Old 02-10-22, 08:59 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

The problem I have with considering the QR bearing preload addition is that I suspect the looseness is felt with a QR that is as tight as needed to keep the wheel in place. If so than more QR preload is not IME the best way forward.

Of course if the bearing slop is being felt with the wheel out of the frame the added QR induced preload will reduce/eliminate/go too far the slop. I don't think that's what the OP was describing.

As I sort of mentioned loose bearings rarely happen in a day's ride, or very quickly (excepting causes like a broken axle). The time/miles to have a otherwise good working bearing develop slop is a long/large number. We humans tend to think that our awareness of a problem is when the issue started (and in a way it is, if the problem is that we now have to do something about the issue). This is a poor way of looking at the world and how we understand interactions.

The time it takes from when an issue first starts and when we discover it has costs. Like pitted bearing surfaces, cracked hub shell cups, broken axles or just cones and lock nuts that migrate along the axle so no future fix is stable without real in depth assessments and repairs. Andy
Old 02-10-22, 09:44 PM
sweeks

Originally Posted by andrew r stewart
the problem i have with considering the qr bearing preload addition is that i suspect the looseness is felt with a qr that is as tight as needed to keep the wheel in place. If so than more qr preload is not ime the best way forward.
this ^^
Old 02-10-22, 10:26 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

When in doubt, one should simply service the hub and know for sure if something is messed up.
That's absolutely one of the 1st things I do when acquiring a bike. Inspect/clean/lube the rotating parts if of a "serviceable" type.
If it didn't need it, it'll still be longer before it needs it again, so it's not a total waste. The cost/benefit of it being a "wise decision" outweighs the downside IMO.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-11-22, 01:14 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
What I do is:
1) Use decent quality bearing balls, tossing out the factory-installed ones. That helps a bit to make the hub spin a bit less roughly when adjusted for no play.

2) Set for no play, even if it doesn't turn perfectly smoothly.

Using this method, hubs last for years without any wear (the oldest I keep a track of is now about a decade old and is being used).

I leave a tad of play only when the cones are already pitted - that seems to prevent them from wearing out even more, even faster.

Haven't tried adjusting the new low-end hubs for a bit of play. Maybe they'd last very long with that setup as well. Maybe not.
Old 02-11-22, 03:52 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

SurferRosa, I have over ten posts? I'm so excited! Now I can post photos!
You really think I should invest in an adjustable wrench?
So I am looking for a "kind of a cone"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.