Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Wear Logo’d Apparel?
No never, wouldn’t even think of it
57.14%
I only fly my own racing teams colors
16.33%
Enjoy logo’d apparel and makes me feel more racy
2.04%
Some times
15.31%
I mix and match logo’d and non-logo’d
11.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Do You Wear Team Logo Apparel?

Old 03-01-22, 03:51 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Pottering along at 110W it probably doesn't matter so much what jersey you are wearing providing you have a half reasonable pair of bibs.
I was thinking that I'd need *great* bibs for a ride like that - whenever I go out for long-ish rides with... let's say, more casual cycling friends, my ass always ends up getting sore because (I assume) I've got less weight on the pedals and more in the saddle.
Old 03-01-22, 03:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm not telling you that you're wrong about being comfortable in cotton. I'm telling you that your experiences with polyester don't match mine nor those of anyone that I've known that's worn a good quality jersey. Comfort is subjective, but the fact that my jerseys breathe and wick really, really well is not subjective - that I can sweat out liters and pull off a dry, salt-crusted jersey is a testament to that.

OK, I'm just not sure I'd find that's true for me if I went on a prolonged hunt for my perfect polyester.

Fabric doesn't "breathe" by the way. That's a metaphor.

Cotton wicks like crazy--that's why it gets wet. I don't know when this term came to mean its opposite.
Old 03-01-22, 03:54 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,709 Times in 2,909 Posts
I'm not telling you that you're wrong about being comfortable in cotton. I'm telling you that your experiences with polyester don't match mine nor those of anyone that I've known that's worn a good quality jersey. Comfort is subjective, but the fact that my jerseys breathe and wick really, really well is not subjective - that I can sweat out liters and pull off a dry, salt-crusted jersey is a testament to that.
Sweat wicking is by far and away my number one priority in cycling gear and cotton is the very last thing on earth I would wear on the bike for that reason alone. I love cotton OFF the bike, but not a chance I'd go out for a hard ride with a cotton T-shirt. Might as well just throw it in a bucket of water before putting it on.

Merino wool is pretty good though and has the advantage of not stinking when sweaty. But the really thin summer Merino tends to disintegrate after a few washes, so I only use mid-weight Merino for Spring/Autumn rides.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-01-22, 03:55 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Sweat wicking is by far and away my number one priority in cycling gear and cotton is the very last thing on earth I would wear on the bike for that reason alone. I love cotton OFF the bike, but not a chance I'd go out for a hard ride with a cotton T-shirt. Might as well just throw it in a bucket of water before putting it on.

Merino wool is pretty good though and has the advantage of not stinking when sweaty. But the really thin summer Merino tends to disintegrate after a few washes, so I only use mid-weight Merino for Spring/Autumn rides.
for me sweat wicking clothing is hotter than 100% cotton
Old 03-01-22, 03:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Honestly, I think a lot of comfort is really determined by what we're used to, and that affects how we actually perceive and interpret what these sensations "mean". Also, people really do vary a lot in how they sweat and, my guess is also in the chemical composition of their sweat, so that we really might be experiencing different reactions between fabric and sweat.
Valid points.

I'm not a high-volume sweater, nor is my sweat especially toxic. There have been times recently where I have worn a cotton t-shirt while riding my stationary trainer (with a fan blowing on me). I definitely notice that I'm warmer than when I wear a close-fitting synthetic.
Old 03-01-22, 03:56 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,821 Times in 3,705 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I have found the opposite to be true.
Old 03-01-22, 03:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Fabric doesn't "breathe" by the way. That's a metaphor.
Pssssh - I can see its lungs moving.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-01-22, 03:59 PM
PeteHski

I was thinking that I'd need *great* bibs for a ride like that - whenever I go out for long-ish rides with... let's say, more casual cycling friends, my ass always ends up getting sore because (I assume) I've got less weight on the pedals and more in the saddle.
I know what you mean, but I think it's just because nothing else hurts more on an easy ride. You tend not to think much about your ass when your legs are screaming and your lungs burning. When cruising along you tend to notice more niggles that you would normally filter out as low priority.
Old 03-01-22, 04:04 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by coffeesnob
That may be true if you are riding in serious heat where your sodden wet cotton would cool you down. But it doesn't work so well when you are riding hard in a cooler climate where it leads to serious problems when you are on a descent. You don't see pros wearing cotton do you?
Old 03-01-22, 04:17 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I have found the opposite to be true.
Probably true for most people but not me.
Old 03-01-22, 04:21 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I think the fabric issue is more dependent on the humidity level in the location you are at.
Likes For seypat:
Old 03-01-22, 04:26 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
BTW, I know you originally quoted me when you posted it, so spare me the nonsense about how I'm being the tedious one. You've posted several "corrections" of me that aren't actually correcting anything.
I deleted the quote in an unsuccessful effort to avoid yet another of your endless demands for attention. Now find another target for your adolescent rants.
Old 03-01-22, 04:31 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
You mean days like this in the saddle that I do with my $20 jersey?

As I mentioned...I have the $80 variety jerseys that I've won from bike races. Really no difference than the $20 jerseys I've bought.
I want to know where I can win an $80 jersey in a bike race while averaging 110 W.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-01-22, 04:51 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
It’s so awesome that you are still ignoring my OP and are still so worked up about my posts 👍
Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to ignore you.

Nobody is wearing a basketball or football jersey and trying to claim they are doing so for aero or tech benefits
This makes no sense to me. Logos/Team apparel have nothing to do with aero or tech. Another poster already pointed this out, and I didn't want to pile on.

I'm sorry. Who knew you were completely unaware that many recreational cyclists state that they wear certain jerseys/kit partially because they fit better and don't flap in the breeze like t-shirts supposedly do
This also makes no sense to me. No one buys logo/team apparel because they think it's more aero than non-logo/team apparel. Cycling clothing is definitely more aero than a t-shirt, but I have no idea why you'd bring that up in the context of pro team logos. Another poster already pointed this out as well, and piling on doesn't seem helpful so I didn't respond.

Why is it not surprising that a forum chock full of 50+ year old recreational cyclists wearing and hand washing their matching spandex overalls would have a few peeps unhappy about being called out for posing?
Calling out cyclists on a cycling forum for wearing cycling clothing is a weird take, but I also don't really see anything here that's relevant to the topic of this thread, other than you calling people poseurs. I get that you don't care what other people wear, but also think if they wear any cycling clothing of any kind (regardless of logos) they're poseurs.

Apologies if I missed responding directly to any of your other posts.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 03-01-22, 05:01 PM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Cotton is the worst possible material for athletic apparel -- especially cycling jerseys. And that's got nothing to do with aerodynamics.
I presume you're referring to comfort here because a lot of people do not like the wet sensation you get with cotton.
I actually prefer cotton to polyester because the sweat gets cooled by the airflow when it's wicked into the cotton as opposed to pooling under the polyester. Comfort really isn't a scientific, objective concept. Unless you're talking about things that are actually causing you harm (I'm objectively uncomfortable wearing latex because I will itch and develop a rash, for example), it's more like a preference for one sensation over another.
I get you. Most people's objection to cotton is that it holds moisture and sticks to your skin...But that actually does lead to some evaporative cooling; with polyesters, you don't get that effect because they just pull the moisture away from your skin and out to the fabric's surface, where it eventually evaporates.

If you feel like moisture "pools" under polyester, that might be a function of your jersey's fabric and/or fit. Some textiles are better at wicking away moisture, and a tighter fit allows for faster transfer of moisture from the skin. A couple of my fave summer jerseys are made by Assos, and they have a sort of honeycomb inner surface which aids wicking...And they are a tight race fit.
Old 03-01-22, 05:03 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,164 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Maybe you could share a link for these amazing $20 jerseys. People might be interested in purchasing them.
https://www.amazon.com/Spotti-Basics...s%2C274&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Mount...8-7&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/BERGRISAR-Cyc...8-9&th=1&psc=1
Likes For prj71:
Old 03-01-22, 05:06 PM
prj71

For me it's when you get into more extreme situations when the top quality gear really comes into its own. Like when you are climbing for hours on end in blistering heat or getting drenched by rain. Pottering along at 110W it probably doesn't matter so much what jersey you are wearing providing you have a half reasonable pair of bibs. But I'd still rather have a couple of really nice quality jerseys over a dozen cheap generic ones. They always wash better. Perhaps ironically I wear a lot of generic cheap junk off the bike and it tends to fall to pieces quite quickly with wear and tear.
I don't have a power meter on my bike. That's a Strava calculation, so who knows if it's even correct.
Old 03-01-22, 05:07 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I want to know where I can win an $80 jersey in a bike race while averaging 110 W.
I have three that I won from mountain bike racing.

I don't have a power meter. That's a Strava calculation. I don't think it's correct.
Old 03-01-22, 05:15 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I have three that I won from mountain bike racing.

I don't have a power meter. That's a Strava calculation. I don't think it's correct.
Okay, got it.

Where did you find such a flat century route? Presumably not in Wisconsin?
Old 03-01-22, 05:54 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts
Wow, I never realized some many cyclist were soooooo insecure, LOL! I mean really, does this kind of silliness really matter to some of you?
Old 03-01-22, 06:05 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

That may be true if you are riding in serious heat where your sodden wet cotton would cool you down. But it doesn't work so well when you are riding hard in a cooler climate where it leads to serious problems when you are on a descent. You don't see pros wearing cotton do you?

Are pros dressing primarily for comfort? BTW, I don't get this comment. Riding hard in a cooler climate in a cooler climate, I don't sweat so much as riding hard in a hot one. The cotton really doesn't get sodden in those conditions.
Old 03-01-22, 06:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Rolla
I deleted the quote in an unsuccessful effort to avoid yet another of your endless demands for attention. Now find another target for your adolescent rants.
I'd get whatever ingrown thing that gives you such a delightful personality looked at if I were you. Might be a rash from your cycling uniform.
  • ​​​​​​
Old 03-01-22, 06:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Threads like this make me wonder if there are threads on SwimForums.Net call "Do you wear a swimsuit when you swim?" And half the responses are "No, I always swim in generic gym shorts. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was some Michael Phelps poser!"
Old 03-01-22, 06:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Valid points.

I'm not a high-volume sweater, nor is my sweat especially toxic. There have been times recently where I have worn a cotton t-shirt while riding my stationary trainer (with a fan blowing on me). I definitely notice that I'm warmer than when I wear a close-fitting synthetic.
I find this totally shocking! You actually wear a shirt on a trainer?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-01-22, 06:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
I especially like the Bergrisar Jerseys. Well made, comfortable, not arm stranglingly tight, and breath well. Have 3 of them

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.