Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Official BF Eroica California 2022 Roll Call! Apr. 29-May 1, 2022

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 04:26 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by bikingshearer
It looks like I'm a "go" for this weekend. ...
Excellent. Glad you are going to be able to make it this year. I look forward to seeing you in Cambria. I plan to join you for the Saturday ride at 11am, too.
Old 04-26-22, 05:47 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
DT is optional.

I know many like to run without dust caps and I get it but they are a safety item in this capacity and could have kept you from having to go caveman on it.

We can go on ad nauseum about it but the delete option was for the mechanics at the races where they were checking or working on them daily or more often.
Which route are you riding? Not all of the routes are as demanding as others.
Old 04-26-22, 05:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Which route are you riding? Not all of the routes are as demanding as others.
Well, you've ridden with me, its still up in the air. Hopefully the longest wimpy one with the least hills. I'm going to try and wing it a bit if I can go around the big ones.

My knees have taken a big turn for worse recently and I had nothing for any real and even not so real ones before that anyway.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-26-22, 06:00 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Best wishes to all you Eroici that y'all will have a great weekend.
Looking forward to the ride reports next week!
Likes For northbend:
Old 04-26-22, 06:15 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Well, you've ridden with me, its still up in the air. Hopefully the longest wimpy one with the least hills. I'm going to try and wing it a bit if I can go around the big ones.

My knees have taken a big turn for worse recently and I had nothing for any real and even not so real ones before that anyway.

Any suggestions?
Well, the route to the lighthouse is nice and getting access to the lighthouse is generally not available to the public except for this weekend. It is a pretty flat route with only some gentle rollers, it has a mile or so of non-pavement and you also get to ride past the elephant seal viewing beach! On the return you can detour through to old San Simeon for a nice little side route. The other routes all have either significant or serious climbing but are also very stunning to ride. I've done the long route twice, the medium route twice, the short lighthouse once and supported the event twice on a moto. I haven't looked closely at the routes this year since I will be unable to attend. Sadly for me, outside of the covid years this will be the first time I won't be riding an Eroica since 2012!
Old 04-26-22, 06:33 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
For those that rode this event before, do you have a feel for the participation for each route? In other words, which route is most popular and which is the least, what percentage of the registration is in each group etc....

My guess the Santa Lucia and the light house are the two most popular.

Thanks
Old 04-26-22, 07:00 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad L
Here's the current weather forecast for Cambria. Looks like it may be a really nice weekend.
yes, the Cambria weather should be mild to cool, low 60’s to one day of 70, a fair amount of wind seems to be on tap, today has 17mph winds. Thursday and Saturday appear to be gusty. Overnights will be chilly in upper 40’s.

The inland weather around Paso on Sunday looks to be sunny and 80-81 degrees, but appears to have WNW winds around 10mph. This may make the middle parts of the medium to long rides a bit more challenging with some headwinds.

Originally Posted by Straightblock
Never make changes right before an event.

Last weekend I swapped a modern compact crank for a period-correct Sugino Mighty on my Nishiki Pro. I took it out on a 40 mile ride and all was well. Yesterday I went out again, and after a while I started hearing a creaking noise from the drivetrain. I looked down and the left crank arm is loose, and when I stopped, the bolt was gone. Bad, for sure, but worse if it had come off. I was stopped at the entrance to a gravel quarry & found a smooth baseball sized river rock, picked up a piece of cardboard from roadside trash (thanks, local rednecks) to use as a cushion, and tapped the crank arm in place. I one-legged it 8 miles back to the second-closest LBS (my favorite), got a new bolt, and used their shop wrench to tighten it. About 2 miles from home it had loosened again and I one-legged it home.

I've been riding and servicing square taper cranks since 1975, including a couple of years during college working at the LBS, have never used a torque wrench on a vintage bike and never had a crank come loose like this. I understand the science of why it's nearly always the left arm that loosens, but the torque wrench in my elbow that says "that's about right" has served me well up to now.

This crankset is one of the most-used square taper ones I own and I'm sure it was removed and reinstalled several times to service the bottom bracket or move to a different bike, but has been unused for about 20 years. The crank arm doesn't appear to be galled or deformed. I have a micrometer/click-type torque wrench that I use for my modern bike and other things. Park Tool says torque the crank bolt to 300-450 in-lbs. I've reinstalled the crank and torqued both sides to the Park Tool spec, and that's noticeably more than my seat-of-the pants torque value. Lesson learned, I guess.

Now I'm concerned about taking the Nishiki to to Cambria, even for the short Piedras Blancas route I'm planning to ride, so I'm going to take a ride on it today and check the left arm every few miles. Any doubts and I'll change to another bike that would only need pedals changed.

gugie , I hope nothing like this never happened on your Super Course!
if the crank has been put on and taken off a number of times (and assuming the same spindle), has the hole taper in the crank enlarged enough so that when tightened down, the spindle end is flush with the bolt shoulders and crank opening? If so, you can’t tighten it further and the crank will come loose. This can also happen if the spindle taper is slightly different to original (Japanese JIS taper vs ISO vs French Stronglight) and others or if a different spindle is used from original.

Last edited by mech986; 04-26-22 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For mech986:
Old 04-26-22, 07:09 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
Well, the route to the lighthouse is nice and getting access to the lighthouse is generally not available to the public except for this weekend. It is a pretty flat route with only some gentle rollers, it has a mile or so of non-pavement and you also get to ride past the elephant seal viewing beach! On the return you can detour through to old San Simeon for a nice little side route. The other routes all have either significant or serious climbing but are also very stunning to ride. I've done the long route twice, the medium route twice, the short lighthouse once and supported the event twice on a moto. I haven't looked closely at the routes this year since I will be unable to attend. Sadly for me, outside of the covid years this will be the first time I won't be riding an Eroica since 2012!
That's all helpful, Tx.

This will only be my 2nd and likely last time unless I can get my son to go with me again.

He came the other time so I could keep an eye on him, brought his bike but and had a great time but I didn't have him ride the route with me.

Don't knowI was thinking and was lucky he was ok with it, will always regret that, epic fail on my part.

The draw for me is really all the bikes, as far as the ride for me aside from the ocean, I would rather ride the Gorge.

I did the short route in 2017 and am currently working on lower gears as we speak. Getting the NR triple down to 30 + 31 granny with 2 different setups. Going to futz around out back too, think low is only 28 now so should be able to get some help there too.
Old 04-26-22, 07:48 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Touring Teledyne Titan Returns

I have worked it out so I can make my first tour outside Canada since 2019, and I am bringing my 1974 Teledyne Titan to 2022 California Erotica! I am hoping I will see again all of the good friends I met at the Port Angeles Century back in before times, and meet many more of my fellow old bike nuts. I am riding the Paso Robles route as a "rest" day on my tour from San Francisco to San Diego, so I can bring the Titan to its place of origin in Southern California.

-Will
Old 04-26-22, 08:13 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Random Tandem
...I am bringing my 1974 Teledyne Titan to 2022 California Erotica!
Kinky! Tell us how that goes.
Old 04-26-22, 08:53 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Is anyone doing the Friday Sunset ride? I got an invite and signed up for it. Not sure of how long it is
Old 04-26-22, 09:40 PM
tmnguuyen 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Thalia949
Is anyone doing the Friday Sunset ride? I got an invite and signed up for it. Not sure of how long it is
i signed up. The route is about 12 miles total from Cambria Veterans Hall to Linn’s farm and back. Still debating about this and Montana De Oro. I’ll be tandeming it with wifey.
Old 04-26-22, 09:41 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Straightblock
Never make changes right before an event.

Last weekend I swapped a modern compact crank for a period-correct Sugino Mighty on my Nishiki Pro…
There’s not a lot of time to re-instill confidence. I’ve had a couple of crank arms that didn’t want to stay on the spindle. My issues were resolved with some locktite on the bolt threads. Personally, if it allowed me to ride my preferred bike, I would do that and also stick my modest-sized Sugino crank bolt tool in a Jersey pocket if I was concerned. If you don't have something similar, I'd be happy to bring my tool and let you borrow it during the ride if that would ease your mind.

Likes For gaucho777:
Old 04-26-22, 10:12 PM
Thalia949

Bikes: Masi Gran Crit, Bianchi Campione D' Italia 84, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Ibis Ripley, Co Motion Tandem, Merlin Agilis, Ritchey Breakaway, Bianchi Infinito CV, Colnago Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by tmnguuyen
i signed up. The route is about 12 miles total from Cambria Veterans Hall to Linn’s farm and back. Still debating about this and Montana De Oro. I’ll be tandeming it with wifey.
Thanks for the info. Tandem sounds like a good choice, I would do the same if I had a vintage tandem.
Old 04-26-22, 10:26 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
There’s not a lot of time to re-instill confidence. I’ve had a couple of crank arms that didn’t want to stay on the spindle. My issues were resolved with some locktite on the bolt threads. Personally, if it allowed me to ride my preferred bike, I would do that and also stick my modest-sized Sugino crank bolt tool in a Jersey pocket if I was concerned. If you don't have something similar, I'd be happy to bring my tool and let you borrow it during the ride if that would ease your mind.

Thanks for the offer. My toolbox is fairly well stocked and I will be bringing plenty with me for last minute adjustments . The crank has Allen head bolts and I'll be carrying an 8mm L-wrench in addition to a multi-tool.

The crank is on a matching Sugino spindle and isn't bottomed out. I got out for a 32 mile ride today, checked it several times during the ride and confirmed with a torque wrench when I got home. I might still Loctite and re-torque the left side tomorrow.

Since I'm doing the short Piedras Blancas route, I'm not too concerned now. I'll have my torque wrench for another check after the Saturday shop ride. Worst case, if I get problems I can't fix on the road, I'll keep a bungee cord in my jersey pocket and look for Kabuki12 bikingshearer or maybe Kilroy1988 (a fellow Central Valley guy i should probably meet anyway) for a tow back to Cambria
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 04-26-22, 10:58 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Since I don't post photos of myself much, and that's the easiest way to recognize me in case any of ya'all see me, well... Here I am!

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 04-26-22, 11:21 PM
Straightblock
Fast Old Guy

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Since I don't post photos of myself much, and that's the easiest way to recognize me in case any of ya'all see me, well... Here I am!

-Gregory

I figured I'd just look for the Super Python rolling with a Raleigh Pro.
Likes For Straightblock:
Old 04-27-22, 08:41 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I'll be riding a Raleigh Pro that has been "improved" with a few Japanese components. I'll ride the route with a name so long I can never remember it, something about an escalator.

A friend and I will also be selling a few obscure bits at the swap on Saturday. Come by and say hi. We will be the booth with the small assortment of tiny Simplex spare parts and the ancient Follis berceau that everyone loves and no one wants to take home.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 04-27-22, 09:11 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Straightblock, Use hex head crank arm bolts so any multitool will give you peice of mind. A 14mm socket wrench is a bit bulky.
I second that idea. last Eroica, CA, I had my right crank arm start to loosen along with the associated ghost shifts etc. I was doing the heroic route, and at the first two rest stops no one had the appropriate tool for tightening a square taper crank. One would think that on a sponsored ride, with hundreds of pre 1987 bikes, this would be a must have tool! I was about to abandon the ride, when the guy at the 3rd stop found the tool and torqued it down. The first thing I did afterwards was to go out and buy the hex head ones for next time. Funny thing is, I like the look of the DA 7400 dust caps so I took the hex head ones off...all in the name of vanity. wish me luck!
Old 04-27-22, 09:47 AM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Out of the closet at last

Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Kinky! Tell us how that goes.
I never thought spellchecker would be the way it happens, but I guess there is no point hiding my love for bikes! Looking forward to seeing more of my kind at Eroica!
-Will
Old 04-27-22, 11:23 AM
OldCoot

Bikes: 82 Univega Specialissima, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Kona Wheelhouse, Rocky Mtn Thunderbolt, Viner Strada Bianca, ~73 Bob Jackson, ~75 Volkscycle Mark100.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 73 Posts
Looking forward to the weekends activities. After doing a dress rehearsal this last Saturday, my choice of routes was solidified. I will join the Saturday Pre-Ride at 11am to San Simeon, and the Piedras Blancas route on Sunday. My dress rehearsal ride at 52 miles mimicked the 72 mile Santa Lucia route with same 78 feet of climbing per mile along with rough and dirt roads. It kicked my butt! So I have already had enough "beauty of fatigue" and wish to have a enjoyable time. I 'll be riding the Kaeru / Volkscycle. Looking forward to meeting you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20220319_174634.jpg (1.10 MB, 343 views)
Likes For OldCoot:
Old 04-28-22, 04:40 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts

Any suggestions?
Yeah, join @Kabuki12 and me on the Piedro Blancas route. Nothing too strenuous, climbing-wise, and I promise that neither Joe nor I bite. We may or may not keep going all the way to Ragged Point, which adds a couple not-very-long low-gear climbs, but nothing you can't handle. Plus, it's an out-and-back, so you can break it off any time. We can be the Big Frame Brigade.

If you are still wanting a few more miles, you/we can go up Santa Rosa Creek Rd when you/we get back to town until it gets too steep. Trust me, it will get too steep - there is an amazingly stupid-steep little pitch that that starts off a steady 10%+ climb - but only after five or more miles of beautiful flat/gentle up/less gentle up. (This is the last big descent for all the inland routes.)

Problem solved.

Edit: Doh! Just saw your post above; you know all this. But ride with us anyway. As former BFer bigbossman would say, what's the worst that could happen?

To aid in recognition, that's me on the right, kabuki12 in the middle and straightblock on the left, taken at 2019 Eroica CA. Joe and I will be on different bikes (orange Colnago for Joe, light blue heavily patinaed Cinelli foir me; can't speak for staightblock)) and probably in different jerseys, but otherwise recognizable. Oh, and count on Joe to be rockin' the colorful socks.

Last edited by bikingshearer; 04-28-22 at 04:54 AM.
Likes For bikingshearer:
Old 04-28-22, 05:39 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I would love to see a "Big Bike Brigade" ....sounds awesome. Van, you sure qualify with that beautiful Merz , what a covy of lovelies we would make. I have more than one pair of socks for the weekend so don't put away your sun glasses. I am thinking the full Eroica jersey and shorts this year since I got the 50% off deal from a bike shop in Portland that had some old stock from a few years ago and a red and blue Colnago(well patina'd) coat if it is cool. I wouldn't want to get too chill! If I am not with my bike , I will be in a black ball cap with gold embroidered "Colnago" and logo , thanks to a generous gift from none other than Rich( Bikingshearer ). Lynne and I are loading up today for an early A.M. departure on Friday . I look forward to seeing my BF and CR friends soon. Let's rock this weekend!!
Old 04-28-22, 05:52 AM
merziac

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Yeah, join @Kabuki12 and me on the Piedro Blancas route. Nothing too strenuous, climbing-wise, and I promise that neither Joe nor I bite. We may or may not keep going all the way to Ragged Point, which adds a couple not-very-long low-gear climbs, but nothing you can't handle. Plus, it's an out-and-back, so you can break it off any time. We can be the Big Frame Brigade.

If you are still wanting a few more miles, you/we can go up Santa Rosa Creek Rd when you/we get back to town until it gets too steep. Trust me, it will get too steep - there is an amazingly stupid-steep little pitch that that starts off a steady 10%+ climb - but only after five or more miles of beautiful flat/gentle up/less gentle up. (This is the last big descent for all the inland routes.)

Problem solved.

Edit: Doh! Just saw your post above; you know all this. But ride with us anyway. As former BFer bigbossman would say, what's the worst that could happen?

To aid in recognition, that's me on the right, kabuki12 in the middle and straightblock on the left, taken at 2019 Eroica CA. Joe and I will be on different bikes (orange Colnago for Joe, light blue heavily patinaed Cinelli foir me; can't speak for staightblock)) and probably in different jerseys, but otherwise recognizable. Oh, and count on Joe to be rockin' the colorful socks.
Sounds good but we'll see, I'll be on the most serious touring rig with panniers and all.

So I will stick out like a sore thumb with you hot rods.

Just finally got done with just about everything I wanted and needed to do on it. Half the stuff I touched turned to crap and the things that went right just helped me think I could tackle one more thing and fall right in it again. Finally got to the end and going to bed.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-28-22, 07:47 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Sounds good but we'll see, I'll be on the most serious touring rig with panniers and all.
If you put about 80 pounds of brinks in the paniers, I might be able to keep up with you. Maybe.

I'm looking forward to seeing you and some Jim Merz goodness in and around Cambria.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.