Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Durax Service Courses Crankset

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-04-22, 08:04 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,461 Times in 1,129 Posts

These lovely, apparently unused cranks have come my way. I'm looking for any information:

Years of manufacture. 1940s? '50s?
Which makes of bikes might have worn such cranks?
Did Durax also make bottom brackets, other components?
Did Durax make other chainring configurations for these cranks a la TA and Stronglight?

My thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 05-04-22, 09:16 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
I don't know anything about this but it does have some of the same characteristics as the Stronglight 49 that came on the Stella I had for awhile.

Man I'd love to see those in person after a round of metal polish, I bet they'll gleam!!
Old 05-04-22, 11:59 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
Durax Cranks

Durax steel cottered cranks were high quality, made in France and date back to the 1930's.

I have a set of 3 arm Durax "Special Courses" cranks on my 1965 Swiss made Tigra. The chainrings are Simplex aluminum alloy mounted on 116mm steel carriers. It has a Campagnolo cottered BB. They have thicker arms like your 50.4mm BCD "Service Courses" cranks vs. the lighter ones listed on velobase.com.

There are 3 versions of the earlier models with lighter arms on velobase.com:

https://velobase.com/ListComponents....9-0aa62d6abeab

Your cranks probably date back to the 1950's - mid 1960's. The chainrings are stamped LV.492 - 'LV' refers to Louis Verot who started Stronglight. The 50.4mm BCD mount is an industry standard so you can use Stronglight 49 chainrings, T.A. chainrings and a slew of others.

There's a high probability the they are threaded for Metric 14mm x 1.25mm pedals.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 05-05-22 at 12:07 AM.
Likes For verktyg:
Old 05-06-22, 07:28 AM
obrentharris 

@verktyg thank you for the Durax lesson!
That Tigra is fabulous. I am one who loves the wild Swiss paint jobs. (Tigra, Mondia, Allegro "smoke")
Brent
Old 05-06-22, 01:58 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 653 Posts
1965 Tigra

Originally Posted by obrentharris
@verktyg thank you for the Durax lesson!
That Tigra is fabulous. I am one who loves the wild Swiss paint jobs. (Tigra, Mondia, Allegro "smoke")
Brent
Brent,

A maroon fade Mondia or an all red Allegro had been on my list since the 70's. I started shopping for one of them in 2009 when I spotted my Swiss made 1965 Tigra on eBay. I'd never heard of that marque but as soon as I saw photo spread I was sold. All period correct components and so on, even a 1965 Brooks Pro!

The bike came from Stefan Schäfter at Speed Bicycles in Basel, Switzerland - https://www.speedbicycles.ch/ ... I highly recommend him. One of the best bike packing jobs I've ever seen.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 05-06-22, 04:37 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 78 Posts
I think Durax just made the crank arms, and you could put on whatever chainrings you wanted, such as the Stronglight and Simplex shown. I have some Durax 5-pin fluted cranks with an Automoto chainring, from the late 40's. That's a really nice set you have, "service courses" would indicate that it's for racing.
Likes For kroozer:
Old 05-06-22, 07:08 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
These lovely, apparently unused cranks have come my way. I'm looking for any information:

Years of manufacture. 1940s? '50s?
Which makes of bikes might have worn such cranks?
Did Durax also make bottom brackets, other components?
Did Durax make other chainring configurations for these cranks a la TA and Stronglight?

My thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Brent
I have seen a some nice examples of Durax coaster brake track rear hubs from the 30's/40's. Pretty much all the Durax stuff I have seen was top end racing or track stuff very nicely finished for French stuff.

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-06-22 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 09:31 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by kroozer
I think Durax just made the crank arms, and you could put on whatever chainrings you wanted, such as the Stronglight and Simplex shown. I have some Durax 5-pin fluted cranks with an Automoto chainring, from the late 40's. That's a really nice set you have, "service courses" would indicate that it's for racing.

This is also my understanding. Durax made the crank arms, and rider would select whatever chainring they wanted.

Beautiful example OP! Very nice. What do you plan to use it on?
Old 05-07-22, 09:42 AM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by Senrab62
This is also my understanding. Durax made the crank arms, and rider would select whatever chainring they wanted.

Beautiful example OP! Very nice. What do you plan to use it on?
It's part of an estate that I'm helping the owner to disperse, so it will most likely go up for sale. I'd love to have a bike to put it on, but French bikes of this age in my size (60-62cm) are almost non-existent.
Brent
Old 05-07-22, 12:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
It's part of an estate that I'm helping the owner to disperse, so it will most likely go up for sale. I'd love to have a bike to put it on, but French bikes of this age in my size (60-62cm) are almost non-existent.
Brent
These would look sweet on a British bike from the 50s/early 60s as well; just sayin.
Old 05-07-22, 10:42 PM
obrentharris 

Originally Posted by bikemig
These would look sweet on a British bike from the 50s/early 60s as well; just sayin.
Ooh, I like that idea! Finding a British bike to fit me is an easier task.
Brent