Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1975 Raleigh Competition Stunning Time Capsule - Rare Mint Black Dura Ace First Gen

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1975 Raleigh Competition Stunning Time Capsule - Rare Mint Black Dura Ace First Gen

Old 05-11-22, 06:10 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts

So I've been keeping an eye out (and learning about) 80s Dura Ace in the hopes of finding a nice gruppo to build up my the 3Rensho frame I was fortunate to stumble across.

What showed up locally that I ended up with... an absolutely stunning time capsule of a Raleigh Competition Mk 1. It doesn't really count as a project as it is near flawless. It was sold by the son of the original owner who bought it in Ft. Collins, Colorado in 1975.

It had been cleaned up before I picked it up, but the story as I understand it is that it was ridden a lot and clearly loved after being bought, but has been dry stored and unridden for the past few decades.

What I find so incredible are the modifications. Basically, they broadly consist of adding the the first generation of Shimano Dura Ace group-set, almost but not quite in it's entirety. And it's the rare black version. Black hubs, black shifters, black front and rear mech, etc.

It also seems like the original rear brake cable stay bridge was tastefully removed (!) when the center-pulls were replaced with the all black first generation Dura Ace calipers.

The looks stunning and so well integrated, aesthetically and mechanically. They take the whole English black and gold 1970s colour scheme to a whole new level. It reminds me so much of the old John Player Special Lotus and JPS motorbike schemes that I loved (I had a 1970s Lotus Europa... best handling car I ever owned).

I haven't had time to dig in, or clean up the bike (not that it needs it).... but it is just so stunning I had to take some quick photos to share here.

Ah, and the real kick in the pants is that it was also upgraded with a near perfect condition Ideale TB90 alloy railed competition saddle! That alone is worth much more than I paid for the bike. Talk about good fortune...

Old 05-11-22, 06:15 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
a few more...

Old 05-11-22, 07:28 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Very nice, I think a bike that someone felt worthy of upgrading a decade after its original purchase speaks well of the bike and (and the prior owner) and has its own unique history. Will be interested in hearing if you are planning any changes!
Old 05-11-22, 07:31 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
sweet
Old 05-11-22, 08:23 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
Love everything about it, except for the angle the saddle is set at. (and the fact that's one size larger than ideal )

Curious that the previous owner went with 27" hoops. Were they originally from England?
Old 05-11-22, 08:26 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 158 Posts
Nice. Looks well built.
Old 05-11-22, 10:10 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
An awesome find, you are lucky.

I never liked center pull brakes and replaced mine with the same first gen Dura Ace brake set.

Mind showing us where they removed the original brake cable bridge. Why not just leave it alone? They were nicely done.

Why not use the cable housing stops and avoid the cable clamps?

Bah!, it's still a nice bike and a great find!
Old 05-11-22, 10:52 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Both my bikes have those first-gen D-A brake calipers, and my Raleigh Comp GS has them in black. Of course the rest is a mishmash, so it's very cool seeing an example with the full group. Nice bike.

Obligatory pic:
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-11-22, 11:17 PM
Fairlane63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 37 Posts
Thats a great old Raleigh!
Old 05-12-22, 05:50 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,932 Times in 1,763 Posts
Sweet, that looks great!