Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Look 464P any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 05:27 AM
traptraptrap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look 464P any good?

Hi, I have been using a rental bike (CKT alt77b) and started doing a bit of track. I am really enjoying it and am now considering getting my own bike. The problem is that I have not heard of a bike shop in South Africa that keeps track bikes in stock so my options are very limited. I am able to get a Look 464p frameset on order or buy a Ferocity carbon (locally branded imported frame I think). They will cost more or less the same. To be honest I really like the Look but I'm not sure if I'll be over spending on an aluminum bike. Other than this I could probably also get a Fuji track pro or Felt TK2 but they just don't excite me (Not sure why).

According to the world wide web there seems to be claims that the 464 has the same geometry as their top end frames but the L96 seems to have a steeper geometry??? Not sure which frame they are referring to and if it would even matter. Oh yeah, the velodrome where I ride mostly is an outdoor concrete track but somewhat bumpy on the bends. I'm 6' (1.83m) and just over 180lbs (86kg) and want to focus a bit more on sprints and TTs but would also be doing mass start events. I will be unable to see any of these bikes in person and there's no chance of testing before I buy. So, any idea what is the build quality and stiffness on these bikes are like?

Would this bike be suitable or should I look at other options.
Some suggestions on wheels would also be useful.

Thanks
Old 06-12-15, 06:13 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum and to the sport!

The LOOK 464 is a good frame, but you have LOTS of options for the same price or less.

I guess it's easiest to narrow your list down to what you can get. What brands do the stores available to you (online or local) have in stock?

Also, it's generally most cost efficient for new racers to buy a complete bike instead of building up from a frame and buying parts a-la-carte.

Take a stroll through this thread as well: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...ete-bikes.html
Old 06-12-15, 07:23 AM
traptraptrap

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. The local stores carry most mainstream brands (specialized, scott, cervelo, bianchi, trek, fuji, merida, etc.) but will have to special order any track bike as no store keeps them on the floor. So based on my searches all I can get as a complete bike in my price range is a Ferocity carbon, Giant Omnium, Langster and Fuji Track Pro. Just checked with the lbs and it seems Felt is no longer in the country so that takes the TK2 out of the equation.

From the list provided I have considered a Langster but from what I can gather is that this is not a pure track bike (semi street use). Not sure if my information is correct however. I can also order from velodromeshop in the UK but the current exchange rate makes this very expensive. A complete bike would be first prize as I would have to try source track parts while no shop keeps them in stock.

So, is the 464p over priced for an aluminium frame? Do you get what you pay for or will I feel that the bike is inadequate after a year? I know this is a subjective question but any info from someone that's actually ridden this bike would be useful in making my decision.
Old 06-12-15, 09:54 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by traptraptrap
.......... So based on my searches all I can get as a complete bike in my price range is a Ferocity carbon, Giant Omnium, Langster and Fuji Track Pro.
At my local track the Langster Pro complete bike is used by several riders ranging from beginners to experienced. The more experienced riders swap out the wheels.
The rental bikes are the basic Langster and handle well.
Old 06-12-15, 12:30 PM
Banchad

Bikes: Planet X Pro Carbon, Dolan FXE, Fuji Transonic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by traptraptrap
Thanks for the quick response. The local stores carry most mainstream brands (specialized, scott, cervelo, bianchi, trek, fuji, merida, etc.) but will have to special order any track bike as no store keeps them on the floor. So based on my searches all I can get as a complete bike in my price range is a Ferocity carbon, Giant Omnium, Langster and Fuji Track Pro. Just checked with the lbs and it seems Felt is no longer in the country so that takes the TK2 out of the equation.

From the list provided I have considered a Langster but from what I can gather is that this is not a pure track bike (semi street use). Not sure if my information is correct however. I can also order from velodromeshop in the UK but the current exchange rate makes this very expensive. A complete bike would be first prize as I would have to try source track parts while no shop keeps them in stock.

So, is the 464p over priced for an aluminium frame? Do you get what you pay for or will I feel that the bike is inadequate after a year? I know this is a subjective question but any info from someone that's actually ridden this bike would be useful in making my decision.
I'd just go for an aluminium frame starting out. The Omnium, Langster and Fuji Track Pro are all pretty good bikes for the money. I personally think the Look 464p is a little overpriced because of the name but it will still perform very well. Definitely go for a complete bike unless you are confident of building it up safely yourself and have the tools to do so.

Welcome to the forum and the sport!
Old 06-13-15, 04:08 PM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Traptraptrap (nice ;-))

I'm also in SA, and a lot of the guys here down in CT have brought in Planet X track bikes, and love them. Great bikes and not overly priced.
Also, keep an eye on theHub If you're patient, you would be suprised what comes up there. Picked up my first track bike from the hub. Nice giant omnium - someone had been using it as a fixie commuter. I changed the crankset and bars and all was good. You can check out CRC too. I got my current frame from them, and at a nice discount too, since track bikes are fairly fringe, and my size even more so.

On the bikes you've mentioned, giant omnium is a good one. Fuji will be pricy, and i'd personally avoid the langster. I also understand its more for the fixie market than track racing

Sounds like you're riding at Hector Norris from your description of the track? Somewhat bumpy in the turns is an understatement! Easy to get some air on those bumps if you hit 'em right...
Old 06-14-15, 10:16 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, and if you are on FB, join the 'trackcyclingsa' group. Bikes get sold on there occasionally. There is one going at the moment. (Silverback Enigma)