Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Olmo SanRemo Frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Olmo SanRemo Frame

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-20, 01:53 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
The Olmo SanRemo Frame

Picked this up here a couple of month's ago after no one snatched it up. Thanks Paul J !

Another cold and windy day so I decided to be lazy and not ride. So I finally took the frame outside to shoot some pics of it. Hard to really show the beautiful details of the frame with the white background and overcast skies.

I'm thinking white cable housings with a black cockpit on this one. Either the 10 speed Record or 10 speed Chorus I have will go on it.

Hard to capture the beautiful pearl paint on this.

The only real color on it is the head badge

Hard to capture today but the decals are a raised black color outlined in gold.

More of those sweet decals.

This really shows the gold

I like the classic feel of these decals

This gives a better portrayal of the wonderful paint.

More decal work
Old 12-20-20, 02:14 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 324 Times in 210 Posts
Very, very nice, James!

Not C&V, but I almost want to see a black groupset on this one, with a gold chain.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 12-20-20, 04:13 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I was tempted by this. Glad it went to a good home. This is a beautiful bike.
Old 12-21-20, 03:38 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
So glad that this ended up with someone who can do it justice and keep or pass on. Can't wait to see how it looks when done jamesdak.

We have this cool shop here in Lancaster County owned by a plain Mennonite family that has some of the best bikes. You never know what you will find in the upstairs where the used bikes are stored. I had been walking by this bike for several months always wondering why it hadn't sold. The bike looked like they had just taken it in and put it in the used rack. No rust or damage, just grime, it had not been ridden much but was dingy as it looked like it had been sitting in storage for a decade. So I picked it up with the plan to use the parts on a build I'm working on. I have a mid-80's Spectrum frame I traded for here that I want to build up as a rider, not really too concerned on what it will look like, just serviceable modern parts group. The OLMO had an early Centaur 10 speed group so they are coming over to the Spectrum.

As I started taking the parts off the OLMO I saw how nice it was and it cleaned up very well and the pearl white was beautiful in the sun. I know that Red Rose Imports, which is the US distributor of OLMO is located here in Lancaster so I stopped in and got the story behind this frame. Which has an interesting story, OLMO contacted the distributor to let them know they had a limited number of lug grouping for standard tubing that could be used to build a handful of retro frames. So the built a limited run using these lugs and created a retro style decal set.

As you can see by my frame size I could never have ridden the OLMO, and not as pretty, but my bike will be an enjoyable daily rider. Here is a picture of the Spectrum in process. I'l post better pictures once completed.

Likes For Paul J:
Old 12-21-20, 04:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
If you choose that the obvious black/white is not exactly the feel you wish to achieve,
brown&dark tan colors for bar wrap+saddle look nice
with creme/ivory frames, silver components and tanwalls.
I sorta have one of each.
Old 12-21-20, 08:32 PM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
So glad that this ended up with someone who can do it justice and keep or pass on. Can't wait to see how it looks when done jamesdak.

We have this cool shop here in Lancaster County owned by a plain Mennonite family that has some of the best bikes. You never know what you will find in the upstairs where the used bikes are stored. I had been walking by this bike for several months always wondering why it hadn't sold. The bike looked like they had just taken it in and put it in the used rack. No rust or damage, just grime, it had not been ridden much but was dingy as it looked like it had been sitting in storage for a decade. So I picked it up with the plan to use the parts on a build I'm working on. I have a mid-80's Spectrum frame I traded for here that I want to build up as a rider, not really too concerned on what it will look like, just serviceable modern parts group. The OLMO had an early Centaur 10 speed group so they are coming over to the Spectrum.

As I started taking the parts off the OLMO I saw how nice it was and it cleaned up very well and the pearl white was beautiful in the sun. I know that Red Rose Imports, which is the US distributor of OLMO is located here in Lancaster so I stopped in and got the story behind this frame. Which has an interesting story, OLMO contacted the distributor to let them know they had a limited number of lug grouping for standard tubing that could be used to build a handful of retro frames. So the built a limited run using these lugs and created a retro style decal set.

As you can see by my frame size I could never have ridden the OLMO, and not as pretty, but my bike will be an enjoyable daily rider. Here is a picture of the Spectrum in process. I'l post better pictures once completed.

Hopefully i won't get in trouble for this but was the bike shop in Lancaster county Martins? I was in there back in May this year and they had a pretty decent collection of vintage bikes for sale. I need to go back there.
Old 12-21-20, 09:22 PM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Originally Posted by Kars
Hopefully i won't get in trouble for this but was the bike shop in Lancaster county Martins? I was in there back in May this year and they had a pretty decent collection of vintage bikes for sale. I need to go back there.
No it is Shirks, not far from Martins. They are more knowledgeable with high end bikes then Martin's in my opinion. He also has been a good local help for us with our tandem when we can't get to the specialty shop.
Old 12-24-20, 07:25 AM
Kars 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
No it is Shirks, not far from Martins. They are more knowledgeable with high end bikes then Martin's in my opinion. He also has been a good local help for us with our tandem when we can't get to the specialty shop.
great thanks, I will check that out sometime when I am in the area.
Likes For Kars:
Old 12-24-20, 08:28 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by Wildwood
If you choose that the obvious black/white is not exactly the feel you wish to achieve,
brown&dark tan colors for bar wrap+saddle look nice
with creme/ivory frames, silver components and tanwalls.
I sorta have one of each.
Show us some pics. I'm having a heard time "seeing" how I want this one set up.
Old 12-24-20, 08:40 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I ordered and picked up my Gunnar from Shirks last year. They were the closest dealer to me(about 45 minutes away) but had never been there. Five stars for a bike shop, very knowledgeable and very busy when I was there. They had 5 mechanics working on bikes.
Old 12-24-20, 10:36 AM
Paul J

Originally Posted by Kobe
I ordered and picked up my Gunnar from Shirks last year. They were the closest dealer to me(about 45 minutes away) but had never been there. Five stars for a bike shop, very knowledgeable and very busy when I was there. They had 5 mechanics working on bikes.
It use to be our little secret but the word got out and you will see folks from far and wide coming in. Luke and his family are "Plain Mennonite" so they use horse and buggy. He and his wife ride a tandem so we always have something to talk about. :-)

Last edited by Paul J; 12-24-20 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Likes For Paul J:
Old 12-24-20, 10:41 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Show us some pics. I'm having a heard time "seeing" how I want this one set up.
didn't want to thread confuse with non-Olmo pics.
Here's my two light colored frames - The AD posted often, comfortable set-up for me. The Pinarello a NOS frame built and ridden less often, but not sure what i might be 'saving' it for?

Black fenders & brown accessories & silver components

The Pinarello - here with Campa9 RacingT, now wears 10sp with black rd, newer hood design.
Old 11-19-21, 08:20 AM
jamesdak 

Just a teaser of a follow up. I picked the bike up from the LBS yesterday after finally getting it built. Went with a decent Campagnolo 10 speed build on it. Lot's of black to make the white frame sorta pop. No real attempt to go light with this one but I did use a carbon Campagnolo seatpost I had on hand. All the other parts came out of my stash other than new BB cups and the brakes. Had some silver Record brakes I was going to use but at the last moment I found a good price on the brand new black ones and went with those. I'll do a proper thread with lots of detailed photo's sometime soon.

One quick pic.

19 lbs 13 ozs as in the picture. Think that pretty confirms this is a Columbus SL frame as it's supposed to be.
Old 11-19-21, 08:28 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3807 Post(s)
Liked 3,331 Times in 2,173 Posts
-----

at first glance thought the bottle cages were a pair of eyes looking out from the fireplace

-----
Old 11-19-21, 08:44 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by juvela
-----
at first glance thought the bottle cages were a pair of eyes looking out from the fireplace
-----
LOL!

Not sure about those yet. I got them for the black and gold buttons on them to match the gold lined black decals. But those yellow insides of the buttons look out of place.
Old 11-19-21, 04:27 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Not sure about those yet. I got them for the black and gold buttons on them to match the gold lined black decals. But those yellow insides of the buttons look out of place.
I've tried to make Elite Ciussi cages work on more modern builds and I just think they're too bulky. I'm betting you'll end up with sleeker black cages and hope you post a pic when you do!