Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helmet Question

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-21, 10:44 AM
Motorstreet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet Question

Hi. I'm new Ebike owner...just ordered a Super73 S2 and hope to have it in January. I'd appreciate any guidance on proper helmets. Should I just use the same helmet that I use on my bicycle, or should I get something more like a motorcycle helmet? I plan to use the bike on public or private roads purely for pleasure, max speed of around 30 mph. Thanks.
Old 12-20-21, 11:05 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
If you have a quality bike helmet you are probably good to go. With that said, I've seen lots of people on ebikes wearing full-on DOT approved motorcycle helmets, and even more not wearing any helmet. Go with what makes YOU feel comfortable and safe. It's your brain.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-20-21, 11:33 AM
Motorstreet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

nm
Old 12-20-21, 11:37 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Some of the newer helmets especially those sold by Trek have a MIPS system which seems to be an improvement over older designs. I'm happy with mine since it's pretty lightweight and hopefully as much protection as any other bicycle helmet.
Old 12-23-21, 07:08 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorstreet
Hi. I'm new Ebike owner...just ordered a Super73 S2 and hope to have it in January. I'd appreciate any guidance on proper helmets. Should I just use the same helmet that I use on my bicycle, or should I get something more like a motorcycle helmet? I plan to use the bike on public or private roads purely for pleasure, max speed of around 30 mph. Thanks.
There's a European helmet standard, NTA-8776, that's meant for ebikes. Since someone riding an ebike may be going faster than they generally do on a pedal bike, but no where near as fast as a motorcycle, it's got a bit more cushioning than a regular bike helmet. These helmets look like they cover the back of the head a bit better, and many of the ones I've seen for sale have optional visors to keep the wind off your eyes.

Details at https://www.serfas.com/nta-8776-e-bi...its-important/
Old 12-24-21, 03:22 PM
Tpsfoto

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Helmet

A good approved helmet for a bike is fine…. Most ebikes have a top speed of 20mph …. I do more on my road bike …. So speed shouldn’t be a factor
my Giro mips is what I use on my Trek.
Old 12-24-21, 05:07 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12188 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 1,106 Posts
MIPS is new, and it works.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/...helmet-review/

There is that new Euro standard, but today is the first I've heard of it.

Then there is your standard helmet.

I've been using basic helmets since the 80s. They work. You can get better, but no helmet is perfect. MIPS is an incomplete standard right now. Some MIPS helmets are a lot better than others at dealing with angular impacts. Something you need to look into if you are considering one. Which is not to knock them, my helmet is a decade old, and seen a crash or 2. I ought to be looking to replace it.
Old 12-25-21, 01:04 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
I find eye protection much more important than helmet; if you catch something with your eye/eyes that hinder your ability to control the bike while riding, you're f'ed regardless what helmet you wear.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 12-26-21, 09:30 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
I find eye protection much more important than helmet; if you catch something with your eye/eyes that hinder your ability to control the bike while riding, you're f'ed regardless what helmet you wear.
I'm not sure that it is more important. Equally important, for sure.
Old 12-26-21, 10:32 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
You can't ride if you can't see, but you can certainly ride without a helmet.
How much risk you take while riding that render helmet necessary is up to each person.
Old 12-26-21, 10:42 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Bicycle, Bicycle with a Motor, Or Motorcycle...

Bicycle Helmet, E-Bike Helmet, Motorcycle Helmet...

I personally think a well secured Mountain Bike Helmet to start would be best for you.

Further Note: I am not a supporter of "Mandatory Helmets" for adults, but I would not ride without one anymore...

Last edited by zandoval; 12-26-21 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 12-26-21, 02:40 PM
Sempervee

Bikes: Cannondale Quick Disk 5 & Rad Power Mini

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 25 Posts
Talking

All the "Gear All the time" is my motto from nearly 1,000,000 motorcycle miles. I really like wearing the SENA blue tooth speaker and micro phone built in easy to use helmet both to talk with my S/O on her bike and listen to music and answer the phone if I need to while riding, often with and in motor vehicle traffic. Not as protected as a real full face MC helmet but I hope it will be enough should I ever be in an accident. We never plan to be but try to manage our risk as best as we can.
Old 12-28-21, 12:54 PM
GWG

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Personally, I love what SPEDFAST said in his/her reply:
Go with what makes YOU feel comfortable and safe. It's your brain.
My Brain is happiest with a good quality Bicycle helmet!!!
When I ride a Motorcycle or Trail Bike I wear the appropriate DOT-approved Helmet.
Riding two wheels for almost 70 years.....and yes I've had a few crashes.

Happy Trails
GARY
Stanley, Idaho
Likes For GWG:
Old 12-30-21, 03:41 PM
Calsun
Banned

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Comfort when riding is important and with a road bike a helmet should not obstruct your view of the road when down in the drops and with a mountain bike a helmet that protects your face from branches is a good idea. I have a helmet I use on my road bikes and a different helmet for us on my mountain bikes. Both are MIPS type but most important is comfort and how the straps feel around you neck. Recommend if there are bike shops or an REI in your area to try on different helmets. There are also helmets that are cooler to use in very hot weather and others that are warmer for cold weather use (although there are beanies for use by cyclists). I like the helmets I have from Bell, Lazer, and Scott which all have very comfortable neck strap setups.

A lady friend was giving me grief for making her use a bike helmet. First time down my steep driveway she crashed and her helmeted head hit the concrete with a loud thump. After that experience she decided a helmet was a good idea even if it messed up her hair.
Old 01-02-22, 07:26 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
There are many different vehicles classified as e-bikes. Mine is a Bianchi Aria-E, which is basically their Aria road bike with a 250W motor that I must pedal to engage. The motor assist cuts off at 20 mph, and the bike weighs ~27 lbs. You've ordered a 73 lb bike with a motor that can crank 1200W. So, while they're both e-bikes, they are very different beasts.
I'm very comfortable wearing my usual MIPS road bike helmet when riding the Aria-E. When I look at the helmets on the Super73 website, they look more, um, substantial. I think there's a reason for that. Remember that both mass and velocity factor into momentum and energy. Both have to be dissipated during a crash. Dress accordingly.
Happy New Years and Happy Trails!
Likes For mcmoose:
Old 01-03-22, 02:25 PM
Calsun
Banned

A helmet is designed to minimize the impact of the head hitting the pavement and to minimize friction that applies torque to the neck. The helmets that meet the standards provide that protection and the MIPS design expanded on the torsion protection.

What does vary is the amount of ventilation provided and I bought the very first bike helmet made by Bell and introduced in 1975. I used it once and on a warm day going up steep grades I was at risk of heat stroke as the only ventilation was a hole at the top of the helmet. Fortunately the designs have improved greatly over the years but there is still considerable variation in how well helmets allow the wearer's head to keep cool.

Helmets also vary greatly in how much forward vision they allow when in the drops. I like to be able to see obstacles well in advance and to do so while in the drops and not have to be upright to have a clear view of the roadway.
Old 01-03-22, 02:59 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
What does vary is the amount of ventilation provided and I bought the very first bike helmet made by Bell and introduced in 1975. I used it once and on a warm day going up steep grades I was at risk of heat stroke as the only ventilation was a hole at the top of the helmet.
I bought the original Bell Biker helmet when it came out, and sold lots of them in the store where I worked at the time. It had quite a number of vents, not just one in the top. (Photo from the National Museum of American History.)

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-03-22 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-10-22, 02:05 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Motorstreet
IMHO...

Bicycle helmet if you'll be riding at bicycle speeds.
Motorcycle helmet if you'll be riding at moped/motorcycle speeds.

In either event consider the cost of replacing your head when you're considering helmet costs. While you needn't necessarily buy the top end super light stuff, do spend what's necessary for a good protective helmet. Look into MIPS and Snell ratings.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 01-11-22, 11:42 AM
SquishyBiker

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Circa (Rd Dist), 2020 Giant Toughroad (Rd Tour), 2021 Trek Allant+ 8S (eCommute), 2021 Scott Aspect 940 (Mt HT), 2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29er (Mt FS), 2022 Scott Spark 960 (Mt FS)

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 26 Posts
I typically use my MIPS mtb helmet, as I don't need as much ventilation as a road helmet, but the added protection of the mtb helmet coming down the back of the head makes sense.
I'm currently looking to switch to a full face mtb helmet, a Troy Lee Stage AS, and will likely use that on the ebike as well, but thats just me.
Old 02-20-22, 03:03 AM
GP210

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I agree.
Old 02-20-22, 02:54 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Post deleted..

Last edited by 2old; 02-20-22 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-20-22, 03:15 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpsfoto
A good approved helmet for a bike is fine…. Most ebikes have a top speed of 20mph …. I do more on my road bike …. So speed shouldn’t be a factor
my Giro mips is what I use on my Trek.
Class 1 ebikes, the motor stops providing assist at 20 mph in the US (15.5 in Europe), but that's not a speed limiter. There's nothing stopping a Class 1 ebike from going much faster than that on a downhill, just as there is nothing stopping a human powered bicycle from going over 20 mph on a downhill. The motor on a Class 3 ebike will provide assist up to 28 mph in the US.
Old 02-22-22, 12:43 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
MIPS is not new. I have known of it for about 5 years.
I have a 6D MIPS helmet for emtb riding and another one for recreational rides.

While there may be others, Abus has a helmet specifically aimed at Speed bikes.
Old 02-22-22, 01:15 AM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Obtain the helmet that is equal in value to your head
Likes For TPL:
Old 03-18-22, 05:20 PM
Calsun
Banned

Originally Posted by Trakhak
I bought the original Bell Biker helmet when it came out, and sold lots of them in the store where I worked at the time. It had quite a number of vents, not just one in the top. (Photo from the National Museum of American History.)

The helmet only provides ventilation when the rider is moving along at speed. Grinding up a steep mountain grade at 5 mph the helmet results in a very hot rider and potential heat stroke. The single hole at the top was all that was provided and it was not nearly enough. I put mine in the trash after the first ride in the mountains. It took more than 10 years for good bike helmets to appear on the market that were fit for adults on the open road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.