Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Modern bicycle components/systems

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Modern bicycle components/systems

Old 12-27-20, 05:16 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Old 7 and 8 speed triple systems were a pain to keep in tune. I was messing with it nearly every ride until I just got used to where it over shifts and under. When I needed to shift past then come back down. It was ok but not nearly as maintenance free as my newish 10 speed stuff. With modern 1x, it's become even better.

I hated my hydro's when I first got them. Total pita, I think I posted a rant here about them. Then I learned that all you need to do is make sure they're bled, push the pads out with a tire lever, and pump a few times once the wheel is back on. It's pretty amazing actually. Bleeding is a couple minutes every year or so, but I know some people go a lot longer than that.

I've never heard a bad thing about electric. Better in every way with the added ability to mix mountain bike and road groups. I just can't/don't want to afford it.

Tubeless is superior if you're riding a lot. I've got 5 bikes and I ride them all but sometimes not every month. If I am worried about sealant congealing on the bottom, I'll swap to tubes. When riding a bike a lot, it's well worth it to be tubeless. Probably even more if you you have fewer bikes.

Seems like the OP was a complaint about things he doesn't understand.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 12-27-20, 05:20 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
No doubt I am a cheapskate. Frugal, very frugal. Was raised that way, and have stuck with it because it does not bother me. Working at low wages in a bike shop also gives credence to frugality and simply put frugality is a necessity. I work in a shop and can buy things at near dealer cost, I can also buy things at near dealer cost on the internet, but that does not entice me to change cables and housing when it really is not needed. To my way of thinking that is wasteful, and when it comes down to it, environmentally irresponsible as it produces needless waste. As we all agree, to each their own.
Well you could also never bother with a bleed on most hydros and save money if you are OK with decreased performance.

Last edited by Kapusta; 12-27-20 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-27-20, 09:15 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The problem with disc brakes is not the brakes, it is the manufacturer trying to sell them with a frame/fork that were made for QR-skewers. Disc brakes don't belong on those frames/forks but people buy them because they don't know any better. I didn't know either, I just managed to get lucky, in that the bicycle I was interested in was made for thru-axles. People need to know that disc brakes paired with QR-skewers are a scam. Let bicycles with those mis-matched components rot on the retailer floor. The retailer shouldn't be trying to sell them.

As for 8spd triple crank, mine, a Shimano 105, has worked flawlessly for its 21 year existence. My new bicycle as well has a triple crank. I never saw a need for 1x or 2x. Fewer is not more.
Old 12-27-20, 09:49 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
The problem with disc brakes is not the brakes, it is the manufacturer trying to sell them with a frame/fork that were made for QR-skewers. Disc brakes don't belong on those frames/forks but people buy them because they don't know any better. I didn't know either, I just managed to get lucky, in that the bicycle I was interested in was made for thru-axles. People need to know that disc brakes paired with QR-skewers are a scam. Let bicycles with those mis-matched components rot on the retailer floor. The retailer shouldn't be trying to sell them.

As for 8spd triple crank, mine, a Shimano 105, has worked flawlessly for its 21 year existence. My new bicycle as well has a triple crank. I never saw a need for 1x or 2x. Fewer is not more.
Disc brakes became standard on MTBs years before through axles were standard equipment.

It works just fine.
Old 12-27-20, 10:26 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah

I've got about 10,000 miles on just such a bike, and have had no problems. I do think that thru-axles are better with disc brakes, but the word "scam" seems a bit overwrought.

Wanna tell us what is so horrific about QR dropouts with disc brakes?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-28-20, 10:23 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I’ve come to the opinion that some of the technical ‘advances’ of certain bicycle components and systems may not necessarily be intended for us mere mortal bicyclists. They seem to need more “support” than the traditional counterparts they replace, which we’re not able to provided. I’m talking about components like disc brakes (cable and hydraulic), tubeless tires, and wireless/electronic shifting.

Bolting on new rotors takes less skill than lacing on new rims.

Tubeless tires are much less likely to require installing an intact inner tube after a puncture.

Electronic shifting never requires cable replacement which can be a bimonthly event when you ride a lot.

All of those improvements are friendlier to "mortal bicyclists."
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 12-28-20, 10:25 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I can use this here. it applies to BF in general. y'all are a bunch of crusty old curmudgeons and I love you for it. never change.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 12-28-20, 03:28 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
You’re welcome. Actually cars in the 80s were much easier to work on...but I do drive a modern car...and not a car that needs support crew and is intended for the race track.

Dan
I mean, I have a Trek Domane...and while it has hydraulic disc brakes and Di2...it certainly isn't made for a race track. Sure, some people might use it for the cobbles, but the reality is, it's a heavier bike, and is best suited to people like me who just want more comfort when riding. Doesn't mean the Di2 works any less because I'm not racing. They do also have these things called bike shops...where, even if you didn't want to work on your own bike, you could take it to the shop and let them work on it for you. These bike shops also existed in the 70's and 80's ya know.

Look at the 2021 cars....they literally drive themselves, have more computing power than my gaming rig (slight exaggeration), and have more technology-based systems than I could fit in a 30 minute speech. It's called........progress. So yes, your "new" car would require a support crew, that's what a car maintenance shop is. If you're coding for various tech related bugs or issues with the computer system, I doubt you're fixing that yourself. You're taking it to the dealership...your personal support crew.

Last edited by N00b_Cyclist; 12-28-20 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 03:39 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,148 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I've got about 10,000 miles on just such a bike, and have had no problems. I do think that thru-axles are better with disc brakes, but the word "scam" seems a bit overwrought.

Wanna tell us what is so horrific about QR dropouts with disc brakes?
My mtb is an old (2005) hardtail: QR/disc brakes. Still have it and ride it regularly in the summer months. At a guess there's well in excess of 20,000kms on it -- a lot of that is off-road. I've never had an issue with that bike that relates to the interface between QR and disc brakes, other than the very rare 'rubbing' caused by slight misalignment when re-installing a wheel. Easily fixed, and the cause was user-error, not the interface.

That said, I too find thru-axles to be better on a disc-brake bike; have 'em on my newer one.

Last edited by badger1; 12-28-20 at 03:45 PM.
Likes For badger1:
Old 12-28-20, 07:08 PM
gene99

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
you mean i gotta put air in these tires?

Old 12-28-20, 10:20 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I'm a geezer. But the only reason I don't have electronic shifting and hydraulic disc brakes is that between the wife and I we have 8 bikes with mechanical shifting, rim brakes and extra wheels that we're happy with and give us what we need. 8, 9 and 10 speed, 4 road, 2 mountain and 2 "gravel" (cross frames we set up at least 10 years ago for what is now known as gravel riding). I might switch my wife over to hydro disks before myself just because she might benefit because of hand strength issues. I might switch to electronic shifting sooner rather than later because my arthritic elbows are sensitive to the motion needed for mechanical road bike shifting, Shimano worse than Sram.

I would actually look forward to learning how to install and maintain these modern systems. We might take the plunge to new "real" gravel bikes and since they might be the last bikes we buy (HA!) and might give us wider tire options than the limitation of the rim brakes we have now (V and canti), I think I'd try electronic shifting, because do I want to die before I try it? Of course not.

But so many bikes we're very happy with and so many wheels! That's a lot of inertia!

By the way, I like it when the neighborhood kids make lots kid noise and invade my yard! I also pay them to mow grass and shovel snow!
Old 12-28-20, 10:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
People will always complain about things that is what we do and of course more complaints about the new stuff because it is new but we have had enough posts on rim brakes, inner tubes, cable actuated derailleurs, single speeds, fixed gears, friction, indexing, steel frames, aluminum frames...people complain it is what we do here.

New technology is a useful thing sometimes. It can be bad in some situations and more often can be excellent. It is a constantly evolving industry you get good and bad.
Old 12-29-20, 05:29 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
People will always complain about things that is what we do and of course more complaints about the new stuff because it is new but we have had enough posts on rim brakes, inner tubes, cable actuated derailleurs, single speeds, fixed gears, friction, indexing, steel frames, aluminum frames...people complain it is what we do here.

New technology is a useful thing sometimes. It can be bad in some situations and more often can be excellent. It is a constantly evolving industry you get good and bad.
this is just nonsense. Complainers I tell ya.....

Old 12-29-20, 05:49 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
The new stuff is just better, especially if you avoid becoming an early adopter.

Sure, mechanical shifting works great and is easy to adjust when it doesn't, if you aren't mechanically inept, and is a touch lighter, but DI2 works a hair better and is even more reliable. On TT bikes the ability to shift from multiple places is a godsend.

Disc brakes work better and I don't have to fret about using swapping my deep section carbon wheels in winter time, rain, snow or whatnot.

Tubeless, now it's matured a bit? Simply brilliant.
​​​​​​