Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 01-20-21, 11:51 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
60 min of z2 on Zwift this morning. Managed to drop the AppleTv remote on the concrete in the garage. Cracked like hell. Blergh.
Old 01-20-21, 12:57 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'm trying out a new metric upon which to base overall training. I've set the fairly arbitrary (but perhaps not) goal of 10 MJ a week...Historically speaking, I haven't done more than 5-6 10MJ weeks in any given year, but doing close to 9ish has always resulted in fantastic form.

I did 10 MJ a few weeks ago followed by 9.9 MJ the following week, and then just did another 9.3 last week. In doing so, I did a lot of upper Z2 and low Z3 with one or two harder days where I'd push for upper Z3 and sweetspot with a few little digs put in to keep it interesting. So far, so good. CTL is hovering in the upper 80s. I assume it'll stay around this or maybe creep up to the mid 90s.

It seems like it'd be a better gauge than simply hours or TSS. In the past I could inflate hours with group rides and races in which I wouldn't necessarily be doing significantly more work, and I could inflate TSS with the same, as I'm quite prone to "NP busting".

I'm at 3.3 MJ this week, so got a good start on this week. I'll have to see how it pans out. Still no races planned, but lots of KOMs to take a shot at when it warms a little.

Michael Jacksons?

Likes For gsteinb:
Old 01-20-21, 01:41 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I'm trying out a new metric upon which to base overall training. I've set the fairly arbitrary (but perhaps not) goal of 10 megajoules a week...Historically speaking, I haven't done more than 5-6 10MJ weeks in any given year, but doing close to 9ish has always resulted in fantastic form.

I did 10 MJ a few weeks ago followed by 9.9 MJ the following week, and then just did another 9.3 last week. In doing so, I did a lot of upper Z2 and low Z3 with one or two harder days where I'd push for upper Z3 and sweetspot with a few little digs put in to keep it interesting. So far, so good. CTL is hovering in the upper 80s. I assume it'll stay around this or maybe creep up to the mid 90s.

It seems like it'd be a better gauge than simply hours or TSS. In the past I could inflate hours with group rides and races in which I wouldn't necessarily be doing significantly more work, and I could inflate TSS with the same, as I'm quite prone to "NP busting".

I'm at 3.3 MJ this week, so got a good start on this week. I'll have to see how it pans out. Still no races planned, but lots of KOMs to take a shot at when it warms a little.
I made this kind of idea a primary thing I'm tracking on my Trainingpeaks.

I'm nowhere near a lot of you all's commitment level. I'm targeting 4MJ a week. I'm at about 4.3 the last couple weeks with a 5.5MJ week stuck in there.

I feel without a target event right now for me, that the weekly energy expenditure is important.

A pet project once spring pops will be a 50mi TT attempt at under 2 hours. I'm working up to doing the SST "long" on Zwift which should get me 1:40 of work in a session. I'm at SST "med" right now which is only an hour and a couple minutes. If I can do the SST "long" at the "med" power level, I'll be able to break 2 hours.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-21-21, 01:23 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,632 Posts
Isn't tracking (or planning) TSS more objective than Joules? Like, that's gonna be easier for a bigger rider.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-21-21, 01:25 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Another Thursday morning, with another 3 hrs on Zwift before work. Same 90 min "C" pace group ride as the past few weeks on Watopia's Waistband, then I head over to AdZ for some climbing to hit my hours. The difference this week is that it's my longest for the week and I'm not piling on a bunch of training stress (joules???) surrounding it as it's a rest week.

I had some plans in the first half of next week to do an FTP test and then some TT work on Fiesta, but it looks like it's going to be a wet one next week. There may be more Zwift in my future.

This weekend we are (car) camping at Vail Lake KOA in Temecula. There is an XC race course there so I'll bring my bike and get an hour long ride or two in.
Old 01-21-21, 01:50 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by TMonk
Isn't tracking (or planning) TSS more objective than Joules? Like, that's gonna be easier for a bigger rider.
KJ's relate to what I feed my pie hole more than TSS. Tossing a little low end Z2 at the end of a workout to hit a KJ target seems to work better than trying to work backwards from TSS.

That's all.

I don't ignore the TSS/TSB/CTL stuff.
Old 01-21-21, 01:54 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
KJ's relate to what I feed my pie hole more than TSS. Tossing a little low end Z2 at the end of a workout to hit a KJ target seems to work better than trying to work backwards from TSS.

That's all.

I don't ignore the TSS/TSB/CTL stuff.
What exactly is the point of a KJ target? Is it to lose weight?
Old 01-21-21, 02:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

That's what I thought too.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-21-21, 04:38 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I've had a tendency for a year or so to take it a little too easy on "intensity" weeks once the hard intervals are over. You can still spin some easy stuff on the off days, or extend the end of a workout after the tough work is over.

Often, that stuff doesn't add up to much TSS. But, it can be a meaningful chunk of KJ's burned.

I went a bit wild on some pastries, Indian takeout, red wine, and snacks in November for about a month. I'm an honest 5-6lbs up and that's all fat.

So, the KJ's are playing into getting that into check.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-21-21, 06:10 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Today was an old favorite workout I roll out once in a while. There's a 7% hill of about 1:15 right out my front door almost. This time instead of cheating the momentum around the corner at the bottom I took the other street with an honest flat u-turn. One hour, pace it however you think you can make the most vert.

I think last time I did this and "cheated" by using the gravity/curve at the bottom I made less elevation.

25 ascents at about 100 feet a piece. 2500ft in the hour, time counted spent going back down.

I need a longer street. Too much time wasted turning around. My math if I had a longer ascent I could hit at least 150ft more in an hour.
Old 01-22-21, 05:50 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
TSS is wholly dependent on NP. KJ is wholly dependent on energy expenditure.

As an example. I did a 1:34 ride a couple of years ago at an IF of 1.04 and got 171 TSS. Consisted of, I kid you not, 8 x 33 second efforts. 194 average, 343 NP. Less than 5 minutes of hard riding with well over an hour of Z1/Z2. 1,071 KJ.

Or, another ride: 1:16, 0.92 IF, 110 TSS, but 1,370 KJ. That was an hour of riding at sweetspot/threshold.

Depending on power output (which can be related to size), KJ could be easier. But specific to you it could be a good target.

I'm just tired of TSS. It's never, in 8 years for tracking it, been consistently predictive for me. I've crushed workouts and races at -25, and I've totally sucked at -25. I've done the same at +25, and both won races feeling great and totally sucked. There are a lot of factors at play.

Of course, at this point, I don't need TSS or another metric to indicate my form as I can pretty much figure that out based on the previous week's rides, but for a training prescription, I think KJ may be better for me.

What I like is that it's indicating not just time, but how I'm utilizing that time. If I'm going out for 10-12 hours a week staying solidly in high z2 and low z3, then I'm putting in lots of solid work and burning lots of KJs. It's not a recipe for race success, but it does seem to make me very strong according to past data. And as long as I sprinkle in some efforts every week or 10 days, I don't seem to lose much top end and can tune that pretty easily with a couple of weeks of race specific workouts.

In any case, this is another COVID experiment since there's nothing else to do.

Last edited by rubiksoval; 01-22-21 at 05:54 AM.
Old 01-22-21, 06:00 AM
rubiksoval

It's to perform more work.

There's a great article about Will Barta, and one of the "predictors" of racing success in Europe that his coach talked about was 20 minute performance after burning 2.5MJ.

Stuff like that. It's how much work you can do and still perform. And in training, how much work you can handle, recover, and then build off of that with appropriate intensity.

My thinking is by focusing on that work rather than TSS (which, again, can be gamed and skewed by extremely hard, short duration efforts from workouts or races), the more reflective it is of the general fitness you're getting from training. It wouldn't be of much use in comparing from rider to rider as a training trend, but it could be for each specific person in comparison of what they've done in the past for success.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-22-21, 08:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Also, the whole concept of people trying to erroneously link CTL to their "possible" ftp. CTL doesn't mean your ftp is going to go up or down. It just means how much capacity you have to do work, not the level of work you can do.

We have some "club" riders that must have weekly CTL's of 100 if you were to track it. Just tons of hours and miles per week. But, other than the spring thru fall Tues night hammer ride..........they NEVER do any intensity. So, they've got a CTL of 100 but even the one dude that's like 85kg's probably couldn't hold 280 to 300w for 20min. No way.

I carry about 50 to 60 CTL. Not a lot at all. I'm not Rubik fast whatsoever. I'm just an avg cat 4/5 level rider. But I can smoke those clubbies that are at 100 CTL but don't do intensity. 5min power especially. It's nothing to brag about smoking the clubbies, it's not their thing to race. So, one handed clap on that one. But simply demonstrates that CTL ain't everything.

And what drives CTL? TSS.

I do pay attention to it to keep myself honest and have a good idea of what workout to pick for a day during Covid times. I know TSB can be wonky and not always indicate best performances.........but I try not to pick a tough workout if I've got a lot of ATL built up.
Old 01-22-21, 08:54 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

rubiksoval gotcha, that makes sense. I do think that work is entirely related to size, which is why it makes sense that my KJ target (at 65 kg/145 lbs) would be entirely lower than yours is. I wonder if there is some sort of J/kg metrics that can make something like that more objective over riders of varying size. I mean, there is obviously w/kg, but that describes one's momentary work rate and not a total work target over a ride or a week. Like if a coach wanted to prescribe those ethos to a rider (especially during base), he could have a convenient metric.

burnthesheep for me, doing long rides do improve my threshold power. But you're right, it's mainly about work capacity. I find that it expands my "matchbook" to use that analogy. Like I can have more searing attacks and efforts to expend over a 90 minute crit. If you combine that with over/under work that stresses anaerobic recovery and focused, hard fixed duration intervals, it's a recipe for success. For road racing it's absolutely critical. It feels really good to be 4 or 5 hours into a big KJ ride and still be able to smash a VO2 duration interval with high power.

Last edited by TMonk; 01-22-21 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-22-21, 09:28 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Right now, and until my kids are out of HS, I won't be able to ever with any frequency put in 10+ hour weeks. So, my matches might burn bright, but I don't have many.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-22-21, 01:04 PM
rubiksoval

rubiksoval gotcha, that makes sense. I do think that work is entirely related to size, which is why it makes sense that my KJ target (at 65 kg/145 lbs) would be entirely lower than yours is. I wonder if there is some sort of J/kg metrics that can make something like that more objective over riders of varying size. I mean, there is obviously w/kg, but that describes one's momentary work rate and not a total work target over a ride or a week. Like if a coach wanted to prescribe those ethos to a rider (especially during base), he could have a convenient metric.
Yeah, a convenient metric would be interesting for prescriptions. I would think it'd have to be dependent on FTP, though, as a 145 lb world tour rider may be very comfortable in Z2 averaging 275-280 watts an hour and be burning 1 MJ an hour 4-5 hours at a time on endurance days.

Conversely, a 200 lb Cat 5 may struggle to do 210 watts an hour and only burn whatever that equates to... 600-700 KJ/hour maybe?
Old 01-22-21, 01:11 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Yeah, a convenient metric would be interesting for prescriptions. I would think it'd have to be dependent on FTP, though, as a 145 lb world tour rider may be very comfortable in Z2 averaging 275-280 watts an hour and be burning 1 MJ an hour 4-5 hours at a time on endurance days.

Conversely, a 200 lb Cat 5 may struggle to do 210 watts an hour and only burn whatever that equates to... 600-700 KJ/hour maybe?
Yeah I was thinking about it on my ride, and it certainly does vary with fitness in addition to kg. So it gets complicated trying to normalize it by mass. But, having a work target for a specific rider during a large phase of their season does make sense.

I just finished up a bit over 90 min on the TT bike, one 25' SST effort and one harder effort of 10' that I did closer to (road) threshold on feel. I ended up at 102% for the 10', and although my HR rose quickly, it never got within a few BPM from LTHR. At the end I was feeling it for sure, but could have kept going a while longer and had enthusiasm. Nice.

My wife and I took the day off work and will be headed soon to do some socially distant camping at Temecula Vail Lake KOA with some friends. I'm looking to get another hour or so on the MTB there later, and maybe some more tomorrow if it's not too rainy. There is a pro XC course there so I'm looking fwd to checking it out.

Back on the horse next week with the first block of build. It may be a bit wet down here in San Diego until the following weekend, so it will likely be a lot of zwifting.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-22-21, 01:30 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Yup. Today was just time spent outdoors in the warmth with no aim or reason other than to ride for a while and enjoy it. 80TSS and 725KJ/hr at right at 200w AP. I'm 72kg. So, nowhere near 200lbs. But, still only 200w.

For humans having sedentary jobs overall, just a couple hundred KJ's a week difference could mean holding even on weight or gaining over a year. I don't make big enough Z2 power to really kill it like a pro would and not even flinch while burning up fuel. Like, they're probably at 1000KJ/hr for an easy easy ride. My 725KJ/hr is for a really solid 3-hr Z2 pace if I keep it really smooth.
Old 01-23-21, 03:20 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Last day of skiing - 55k of vertical feet over 6 days. SpO2 this AM was 96%. Gym / recovery / travel day tomorrow and then on Monday an easy spin on the trainer. San Diego’s weather is looking pretty gnarly. It will take Fiesta Island a couple of days to dry out.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 01-23-21, 04:01 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Tomorrow is last z2 workout to wrap up recovery week, although I've been doing the workouts 3% harder just to get an idea if my threshold might be higher. I don't really think it is, I've been knocking out z2 stuff at 230w, but my HR has been a bit more in the tempo zone than I'd like to see, although RPE isn't too bad, so we'll see.

I'll be starting TrainerRoad's sustained power build HV this week. The plan itself roughly goes:
T-short VO2 type power
W-endurance
Thr-suprathreshold
Fri-endurance
Sat-over-unders
Sun-sweet spot
I've been seeing recently suggestions to not really do more than 2 intense days a week. Although I'm not generally one to chase all the fashionable trends, I think I may try this out and cut out the Tuesday short VO2 workout for another endurance session (I don't consider sweet spot hard enough to count it as a high intensity day). We'll see what that yields. I've ordered maltodextrine to mix with Gatorade for some homemade high carb stuff, I'm gonna need all that help I can get lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 01-23-21, 04:01 PM
caloso

3x16’ over/unders (Carpathian Peak+2 for you TR people). Beautiful day, we’re in a rain window, so everyone in Sac was on the bike trail. Including a bunch of people on electric fat bikes, and another group on Elliptigo “bikes”. It was a circus.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-24-21, 10:25 AM
rubiksoval

10,069 kJ this week in 11:39. Consisted of 48 mins of Z1, 5:15 Z2, 3:33 Z3, 1:35 of Z4, and 24 min of Z5+.

And this week they put a couple of races on the calendar, one at the end of Feb. Might just have a proper race season after all.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 01-24-21, 03:51 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Did another 3 hour Zwift ride today to finish up a base week. Not exactly sure what I’m training for at this point. Maybe it’ll be Tuesday Nights Worlds in summer, KOMs, or Zwift races.

I haven’t raced Zwift during base because the effort hasn’t fit, but to some extent I think load is load, regardless of intensity, and I may be building for nothing anyway.
Likes For Yep:
Old 01-24-21, 04:05 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

165 TSS Zwift ride, 5700ft.

I crushed my old 90min and 120min power on Zwift today. 240w for 90min and 235w for 120min. Rode Quatch Quest. Good route to warmup, do a solid 20ish min effort. Cruise. Then do just under an hour of sweetspot.

I lost a bit of avg power in that metric because the idiot trainer wanted to not give resistance after stopping to reach down to move a cable around before climbing the Alpe. So spun around at like 50w for a minute or two trying to figure that crap out.

505 TSS last week, 442 this week. Yessssir.

Tuesday this week looks warm in afternoon. Hopefully the morning rain dries enough for even some random TT bike action outdoors. That would be nice.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-24-21, 09:22 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Yup. Today was just time spent outdoors in the warmth with no aim or reason other than to ride for a while and enjoy it. 80TSS and 725KJ/hr at right at 200w AP. I'm 72kg. So, nowhere near 200lbs. But, still only 200w.

For humans having sedentary jobs overall, just a couple hundred KJ's a week difference could mean holding even on weight or gaining over a year. I don't make big enough Z2 power to really kill it like a pro would and not even flinch while burning up fuel. Like, they're probably at 1000KJ/hr for an easy easy ride. My 725KJ/hr is for a really solid 3-hr Z2 pace if I keep it really smooth.
Honestly, from strava stalking most of the "z2" rides I see pros do are really mellow. It has changed how I approach most of my z2 days. If you can get 90-95% of the benefits with next to no fatigue, why not noodle and burn some easy kj? It certainly hasn't made me any slower. Also lets me go really hard when it is time to go really hard.

Last edited by TheKillerPenguin; 01-24-21 at 09:26 PM.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.