Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-10-21, 10:28 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
disc surpasses rim as the most popular brake system.

Old 03-10-21, 10:39 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Anyone else find it incredibly frustrating that you will buy a new bike or bike part and just a few months later the new and improved version comes out?
I bought 2 bikes in December 2019 and put maybe 200 miles before the pandemic hit, they've been mostly collecting dust. or used as a trainer. I didn't really ride outside last year, maybe 10 rides, if that.

So yeah, I always think I could have waited another year...
Old 03-10-21, 11:42 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Regardless of the 41 - that ship sailed a few years back. Chris King told us last September that they weren't sure when they would have rim brake hubs back in stock and were considering never producing them ever again as they sell disc to rim at a rate of like 70:1. When they decided to keep running an odd batch every now and then they reduced the drilling options to 24 and up in the front and 28 and up in the rear. Industry Nine stopped all rim brake hubs last year.

the only people I deal with anymore that are still looking for rim brake stuff is....you guys. A bunch of old racers that just don't want to buy a new bike. I get it but the only rim brake bike I still have left is permanently on my trainer.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-10-21, 11:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I'm not exactly in the group of folks buying top dollar stuff. I'm on Ebay. China will make knockoff or open mold rim brake stuff for a LONG time coming. Sales versus ownership stats lag. It'll take a decade of higher disc brake sales to cut the ownership statistic. Not everyone dumps bikes every 2 years, plenty of folks keep them for a decade.
Old 03-10-21, 11:54 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I should probably clarify, the latest new and improved frameset to which I am referring has a geometry that would fit me a bit better, and the reason for buying the new frame last year was to improve my fit. So the frame I bought is an improvement in fit on what I had, but the even newer option would have fit even better.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-10-21, 11:59 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
A bit off topic but if your TL is 6spd manual, I might know someone that would buy it off of you...
It's not and it also is starting to get rusty around the wheel well that's going to cause the frame to fail inspection before the motor tires. I know you have a TL too right?

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Regardless of the 41 - that ship sailed a few years back. Chris King told us last September that they weren't sure when they would have rim brake hubs back in stock and were considering never producing them ever again as they sell disc to rim at a rate of like 70:1. When they decided to keep running an odd batch every now and then they reduced the drilling options to 24 and up in the front and 28 and up in the rear. Industry Nine stopped all rim brake hubs last year.

the only people I deal with anymore that are still looking for rim brake stuff is....you guys. A bunch of old racers that just don't want to buy a new bike. I get it but the only rim brake bike I still have left is permanently on my trainer.
I just listed my carbon rim brake wheels for sale since ECCC road season is cancelled this year and because if I don't sell them this season, they're likely not going to be worth anything moving forward. I figure my psimet rim brake road wheels should be good for a while
Old 03-10-21, 12:19 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
It's not and it also is starting to get rusty around the wheel well that's going to cause the frame to fail inspection before the motor tires. I know you have a TL too right?
Ahh bummer. I do have a 6spd TL, it is a great car. My last one was a very temperamental Saab and the quality difference is night and day.
Old 03-10-21, 12:32 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Maybe I'm the old guy shouting at clouds, but I just don't really buy it's a long term solution to a problem that really didn't exist.
Old 03-10-21, 12:39 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
My cone and bearing campagnolo hubs will last until after I can no longer get parts to keep the rest of the 10 speed system running.
Old 03-10-21, 01:22 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
From the extremely scientific sampling of "people who ride by my house when I happen to be looking" it definitely seems like rim brakes are on their way out.
Old 03-10-21, 01:52 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
Maybe I'm the old guy shouting at clouds, but I just don't really buy it's a long term solution to a problem that really didn't exist.
You don't buy what? disc? I know what you mean. There was no point and it isn't needed on the road but that ship has loooong since sailed. It's a done discussion and the obsolescence of parts for rim will drive you either to riding NOS parts found on the web or used parts forever or you'll have to stop riding.

It's like back in the day when everyone would try to explain the superiority of one computer over another but none of that mattered because PCs were just ubiquitous.

This all being said knowing full well that after a period of time has passed there will crop up groups of guys who start "mod"ing their bikes back into rim brake for the neo-retro coolness. Think "fixie kids" but with less style.

Old 03-10-21, 01:53 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by himespau
My cone and bearing campagnolo hubs will last until after I can no longer get parts to keep the rest of the 10 speed system running.
Last year I bought replacement cones, races and bearings for Campy hubsets that were of the 8 speed generation in the late 90's. Smooth as silk and will run for another 25 years.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-10-21, 02:40 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

I guess if the shoe fits, I better wear it.

I sold a really nice Ti frameset for one of my wife's clients last year. He also had multiple sets of handbuilt Ritchey wheels. Really nice, hardly used, but not only were they rim brake, they were 8-9-10 speed hubs. I could hardly give them away.
Old 03-10-21, 05:56 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
You don't buy what? disc? I know what you mean. There was no point and it isn't needed on the road but that ship has loooong since sailed. It's a done discussion and the obsolescence of parts for rim will drive you either to riding NOS parts found on the web or used parts forever or you'll have to stop riding.

It's like back in the day when everyone would try to explain the superiority of one computer over another but none of that mattered because PCs were just ubiquitous.

This all being said knowing full well that after a period of time has passed there will crop up groups of guys who start "mod"ing their bikes back into rim brake for the neo-retro coolness. Think "fixie kids" but with less style.
Shot you a message on your site.
Old 03-10-21, 06:01 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by caloso
I guess if the shoe fits, I better wear it.

I sold a really nice Ti frameset for one of my wife's clients last year. He also had multiple sets of handbuilt Ritchey wheels. Really nice, hardly used, but not only were they rim brake, they were 8-9-10 speed hubs. I could hardly give them away.
I had a small pile of older tubular wheels that we had used for sponsored team members going back to like 2010. Many of them were built with Alchemy hubs (RIP). At the time they were super light and fast and would sell for $1400 new. Well Alchemy closed up shop after the hub recall (which wasn't really needed IMHO) so there were no 11 speed driver options available and the beauty of that hub was that it used every mm of available space to up the bracing angle for a stronger build... so there was no room to cut in a new cog space. Coupled with the fact that they were tubulars.... they were the kiss of death.

I took them to the swap last year before COVID hit. Guy who buys up volume of product to resell on ebay bought the whole bunch of wheels for a price I believe he thought was a steal, To me it was like, "yeah if you weren't buying these they were going in the trash". made my show. Over $1.5k for what is in essence trash. Last I checked ebay he is still trying to sell some of them. Poor guy.

10 speed only is toxic waste. Rim brakes are toxic waste. Tubulars are toxic waste. It's ridiculous but it is what it is.

Old 03-10-21, 06:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I had a small pile of older tubular wheels that we had used for sponsored team members going back to like 2010. Many of them were built with Alchemy hubs (RIP). At the time they were super light and fast and would sell for $1400 new. Well Alchemy closed up shop after the hub recall (which wasn't really needed IMHO) so there were no 11 speed driver options available and the beauty of that hub was that it used every mm of available space to up the bracing angle for a stronger build... so there was no room to cut in a new cog space. Coupled with the fact that they were tubulars.... they were the kiss of death.

I took them to the swap last year before COVID hit. Guy who buys up volume of product to resell on ebay bought the whole bunch of wheels for a price I believe he thought was a steal, To me it was like, "yeah if you weren't buying these they were going in the trash". made my show. Over $1.5k for what is in essence trash. Last I checked ebay he is still trying to sell some of them. Poor guy.

10 speed only is toxic waste. Rim brakes are toxic waste. Tubulars are toxic waste. It's ridiculous but it is what it is.
Yeah, I ended up keeping them. I'm using one set as training wheels on my TT bike and another as road wheels for my CX. I'll donate the others to the Bike Kitchen once they reopen.
Old 03-10-21, 06:45 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
I sold a pair of Ksyrium rim brake wheels this past summer. Dropped them at the LBS and he sold them the same day, I think.

My Record hubs are sealed bearings. The bearing in the freehub body went bad and nobody had the tool to press in the new one and a guy told me it sometimes wouldn't work, even with the tool. So I bought a new freehub body, genuine Campagnolo, made in Taiwan.
Old 03-11-21, 07:28 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Less style? My lugged steel 1990 Concorde Aquila with the PDM decals and 10 speed Campy ergos will always be the epitome of style. Especially with that triple on the front.

Last edited by himespau; 03-11-21 at 07:31 AM.
Likes For himespau:
Old 03-11-21, 07:50 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Random musings..

Rish, Sandy and I picked up a Honda Passport last August because we needed to be able to tow the camper we also picked up. It'll easily handle bikes, kayaks, whatever. It's a Honda, so it should run forever, but it's also got way too much electronics and I've had to have the console entertainment system fixed for what appears to be a pretty common error (google Honda Pilot MOST Network error). Aside from that I've been happy with it.

We also got our first shot of Pfizer on Tuesday. Second dose is scheduled for March 30th. We're heading to Miami at the end of April for the first yahrzeit of her mom's death. We didn't have a proper burial last year because of the pandemic, she passed away on May 1st and the cemetery in Miami was backed up for 10-12 days (plus everything was in serious lockdown at the time). Words don't even describe how we feel about getting vaccinated before this trip and the improved 5g signal strength on my phone is a nice bonus.

Regarding prostate exams, sounds fun. I'm overdue for a colonoscopy, my doc keeps giving me grief about it.

Hope y'all are doing well.
Old 03-11-21, 08:01 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Tubulars are toxic waste. It's ridiculous but it is what it is.
Funny enough, I'm building up a set of Tubular Wheels right now. I got a pair of NOS Amrbosio Nemesis rims for $50 that I'm lacing up to a pair of Phil Wood track hubs. These will be my basic track training wheels. I think track will be one place where tubulars will always remain relevant - you don't want that tire coming off the rim if you flat.

Originally Posted by kensuf
Random musings..

Rish, Sandy and I picked up a Honda Passport last August because we needed to be able to tow the camper we also picked up. It'll easily handle bikes, kayaks, whatever. It's a Honda, so it should run forever, but it's also got way too much electronics and I've had to have the console entertainment system fixed for what appears to be a pretty common error (google Honda Pilot MOST Network error). Aside from that I've been happy with it.

Hope y'all are doing well.
I got my Passport in September. It's been great so far. I've heard about issues with the entertainment system and transmission.
Old 03-11-21, 08:09 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Our 2020 Odyssey also has some entertainment center issues. The biggest one seems to be somehow related to Android Auto. Switching back to FM sometimes just, doesn't. Other audio sources work, but the FM source sometimes just kinda gives up until you restart the car. Also have three recalls that I still haven't had done (nothing major, some sort of digital dash issue, an issue with the sliding doors freezing or something, and the backup camera getting water in the lens) because when I set it up the first time they didn't have parts, so I got pissed after driving all the way there and planning my day around it and haven't gone back.
Old 03-11-21, 11:54 AM
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry

Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 38 Posts
Just cleaned out my office. Starting new job in 1 wk. Moving from Defense software back to games.

Thing 3 (NICA Racer) outgrew his Med Rockhopper, which was a temporary "is he gonna become a bike racer" bike. I posted up an ISO ad in the locally curated Bicycle Sell/Trade, and a woman was happy to sell him a Large Niner RKT 9 RDO 4-star for about 1/2 what it's worth. Holy crap it's a nice bike, and he's ripping on it. Destroyed my best time on a 5 mile XC course by 2:30 O_o. Will pay it forward on sale of Rockhopper to another NICA racer family.
Old 03-11-21, 02:15 PM
Flatballer
No matches

My fingers have for some reason forgotten how to type one of the words in one of my pass phrases that I use absolutely constantly at work. Like, I have to slow way, way down to get it right, and still sometimes screw it up. I have no idea how I've managed this.
Old 03-11-21, 03:52 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I'm still a tubular guy. For what I do it just makes sense. For the money 202 tubulars are still the lightest reasonably priced option. And since I'm only doing hill climbs, and I own them there's really no reason to switch. The thing is my twin TCRs could be the last bikes I own. Or the next bike I buy could be the last. In my mid 50s racing is a season to season thing. Hell, it might be a week to week thing. I really thought I was done after I got Covid last February. I live in a destination hiking locale, and once I started to mend I was pretty content with long hikes. The problem was my body didn't really like it as a singular pursuit. I was doing usually 40 miles over three days. In August I hurt my knee. In October I started riding in earnest and my knee started to get better. The long descents didn't agree with me. So now I'm on the cusp on another racing season. Granted it'll be 3 or maybe a half dozen hill climbs.

This is a minor interest of mine though, and I really long to have a lifestyle where I'm exercising simply for health and fun, and not drawn to competition. It's hard wired in me.

There's great mountain biking here. But it just doesn't inspire me to do it. I could build a religion around just riding whiteface the four months a year that's possible. And maybe that'll end up being my retirement plan.

I've long been fascinated by this Edward Abbey quote:

My own ambition, my deepest and truest ambition, is to find within myself someday, somehow, theability to do likewise, to do nothing - and find it enough.”

I'm not there. And I'm a guy who has devoted his life to meditative pursuits. I'm hoping I just continue to tip more and more in that direction, and an hour of exercise and traveling with my wife in the travel trailer will be enough. Maybe some birding again. I guess the 30-60 minutes I do of yoga a day and the three hours of silent meditation just isn't enough to wear away the competitive fires lol.

Last edited by gsteinb; 03-11-21 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-11-21, 04:27 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
My road race wheels are tubular (Hed Stinger 4s). Probably will be for the forseeable future. Was hoping to replace them with some similarly weighted clinchers, but the weight was about 50 grams heavier than anticipated and the stiffness isn't as much (the real issue), so they're resigned to training.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.