Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.3

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.3

Old 09-05-22, 07:56 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13639 Post(s)
Liked 4,446 Times in 2,468 Posts
Fun fact: Manlius, IL was named after Manlius, NY
Likes For rjones28:
Old 09-05-22, 08:58 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Man, I shoulda went to the local sports bar for the game yesterday.

After a 4.5 hour rain delay, the Mariners beat the Guardians 6-3 in 11 innings. They sweep the road trip and have won 7 straight.
Old 09-05-22, 09:36 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8723 Post(s)
Liked 2,854 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Man, I shoulda went to the local sports bar for the game yesterday.

Take your pick. Prolly should watch the red hot Mariners.
Old 09-05-22, 09:42 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9521 Post(s)
Liked 6,265 Times in 3,453 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Fun fact: Manlius, IL was named after Manlius, NY
Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.
Old 09-05-22, 10:03 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22508 Post(s)
Liked 8,833 Times in 4,112 Posts
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

Total time: approx 20 minutes.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems
Likes For datlas:
Old 09-05-22, 10:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

A lot of Californians have been talking about the heat wave, looks like Rock Springs got hit too!

Old 09-05-22, 10:26 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by DougRNS

Take your pick. Prolly should watch the red hot Mariners.
Ms for sure! I might have to clean of the couch in my office for this one. Sitting in the wheeled chair gets old after an hour or so. I keep threatening to hook a computer up to the bedroom TV for the ultimate in baseball streaming comfort, but just haven't located that round tuit yet.
Old 09-05-22, 10:33 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

CinqueWordle 443 5/6

⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟩🟩⬛⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
Old 09-05-22, 11:30 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?

Old 09-05-22, 11:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Just back from a bonus Labor Day ride. It was mostly good, with one minor exception:

One of the riders had a flat. That's no big deal, I don't get angry about flats, it's part of the deal. I usually try to be at peace with this and only really get annoyed if I am under a time crunch (which I wasn't). My general strategy when others flat is to ask if they know what they are doing, and if so, just stand back and bite my tongue if they have a minor screw-up....and only give suggestions if they are really messing it up.

So I sat back and found a shady spot. The guy with the flat is a very experienced rider, and I was hopeful this would be a 3 minute pit stop. It was not meant to be.

He got the tire off and popped in a new tube. I usually think it's best to run the inside of the tire to find/remove the culprit shard (unless this was a pinch flat). He did not do that. He got frustrated remounting the tire and had to use a tire lever (I bit my tongue about that too). Then he broke out his "new" C02 inflator. He screwed the cartridge on and then screwed the inflator onto his valve. He started messing with the device and after a couple of minutes he was not getting any airflow and decided to take the inflator off. He could not, it was stuck, so he took the cartridge off (BOOM!) and was able to extricate the inflator and borrowed someone else's. They inflated the tire and (of course) it did not hold any air. I finally spoke up and said "please let's run your tire for any shards and please put another tube on without using the tire lever," one of my friends who was closer to the action apparently ran the tire with no shard, and the rider was able to (with some frustration) install a borrowed tube, remount the tire without a lever, and get it inflated.

I really wish all cyclists who run tubes and want to use C02 would do a trial run in their garage so they know how to use it. I also wish they would know to inspect the inside of the flat for the cause, and to use the center channel of the rim to minimize need to remount tire with tire levers.

TL;DR datlas had a fun ride but was slightly annoyed by his fellow cyclist's amateur flat fix skilz.

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems
So you're saying that tubeless should be more popular?

Old 09-05-22, 11:38 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So you're saying that tubeless should be more popular?

Possibly. That is one conclusion. Interestingly, flat guy said he has a GP5000TL he plans to install. He was asking questions about how to seat it, etc. so I think he is tubeless-curious.

"Popular" makes me think of this Wicked classic:

Old 09-05-22, 11:43 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

In “The Right Tool for the Job” category, any guesses as to what I was able to fix?

Mid-90s Saturn headgasket?

Naww, no Torx wrench, can't be that
Old 09-05-22, 11:44 AM
WhyFi

Possibly. That is one conclusion. Interestingly, flat guy said he has a GP5000TL he plans to install. He was asking questions about how to seat it, etc. so I think he is tubeless-curious.
Oof. I have a hunch that a lot of the early road tubeless angst was from overly tight fits (this was a combination of both rim and tire manufacturers trying to play it safe) and Stan's sealant (which is the go-to for lower pressure MTB) not working particularly well for the application. I think that a lot of tubeless-curious sat out until such time as Conti jumped in... and they laid a egg with the GP5kTL, which are also CYA super tight, souring those people on road tubeless, too.
Old 09-05-22, 11:49 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Oof. I have a hunch that a lot of the early road tubeless angst was from overly tight fits (this was a combination of both rim and tire manufacturers trying to play it safe) and Stan's sealant (which is the go-to for lower pressure MTB) not working particularly well for the application. I think that a lot of tubeless-curious sat out until such time as Conti jumped in... and they laid a egg with the GP5kTL, which are also CYA super tight, souring those people on road tubeless, too.
Stay tuned. I honestly believe road tubeless is viable now, but probably not worth it for someone like me who gets a flat once or twice/year. Plus I am stuck running 23 or 25mm on the Habanero, and I also think the benefits of tubeless become more evident as you go wider, say 28+.
Old 09-05-22, 12:10 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts

Plumbing? A new faucet?
Old 09-05-22, 12:12 PM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts

Bathroom/Kitchen faucet?
Old 09-05-22, 12:18 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by big john
Plumbing? A new faucet?
Originally Posted by Jack Tone
Bathroom/Kitchen faucet?
Close enough. Kitchen faucet got loose/wiggly and very tough to access under the counter and behind the sink. I had to be a contortionist but was able to get it done.
Old 09-05-22, 12:40 PM
Mojo31
-------

Co-riders flat. I see two bead jacks for the stubborn tire. And a thru-axle wrench.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-05-22, 12:44 PM
Mojo31
-------

I’m TL curious, but my concern is sealant spaying over my kit.
Old 09-05-22, 01:05 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10890 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Fun fact: Manlius, IL is the type of place in which you never want to find yourself.
That's just mean.

Old 09-05-22, 01:07 PM
WhyFi

I’m TL curious, but my concern is sealant spaying over my kit.
Come on, now - you know my love of kit.

That happened once to Trsnrtr, but I have yet to experience more than some droplets on my calf. I would guess that it's one of those goldilocks situations - the puncture needs to be big enough to not seal immediately but small enough to have sufficient exit velocity and minimal spread, etc. It'd prolly have to be more or less dead center of the tread, too, to spray in the right direction, instead of off to the side.
Old 09-05-22, 01:10 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10890 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Come on, now - you know my love of kit.

That happened once to Trsnrtr, but I have yet to experience more than some droplets on my calf. I would guess that it's one of those goldilocks situations - the puncture needs to be big enough to not seal immediately but small enough to have sufficient exit velocity and minimal spread, etc. It'd prolly have to be more or less dead center of the tread, too, to spray in the right direction, instead of off to the side.
I soaked the back of a pair of Assos bibs once with Orange Seal. After a few washings, it came out but i was worried for awhile.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-05-22, 01:12 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Last time I was there, like 20 years ago, they had a general store. Kind of a big deal for a town with fewer than 400 people.
Old 09-05-22, 01:13 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I soaked the back of a pair of Assos bibs once with Orange Seal. After a few washings, it came out but i was worried for awhile.
Oh, cool. I remembered that you were pretty upset, because you thought that the bibs were toast, but it's nice to hear that they eventually came clean.
Old 09-05-22, 01:15 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

#stillgrateful
#firstworldproblems
Cool story

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.