Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Lighter, Tighter Commuting...

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 11-09-22, 09:49 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts

A few years ago my wife and I decluttered the house, with an eye to an eventual move. We ended up staying, and found the house was more enjoyable with less furniture and things which no longer held practical or sentimental value.

Last year, when I was between jobs with no commute, I bought a folding bike (a 2007 Dahon Boardwalk). With limited handle bar real-estate and the desire to be able to keep the bars tucked in the fold, I didn't fit a handlebar mirror or a bell. I've been using a glasses-mounted Take-A-Look mirror for 25 years, and like on my other bikes I did fit an Air-Zound airhorn whose trigger/horn unit unclips from the bars which keeps them foldable.

Then this summer I celebrated beginning my new commutable job with a lightweight aluminum and carbon fiber 2006 Felt-65. Like the folding bike, I decided on no handlebar mirror and just a horn. And when it came time to commute with it I was going to wear my commute bag, like I do on my other rackless bike, my 1984 Nishiki International.

However, my commute bag is big and heavy with gear and wear for any occasion so I don't have to think, just grab and go...rain gear, chain tools, hats, handlebar headlight for night, extra batteries, gum, deodorant, extra shirt and underwear, sun sleeves, neck bluff, bellaclava, reflective vest, notepad and in the colder months gloves of differing weights from no-fingers to snow gloves. It's a heavy bag, but not too heavy to carry on a rack. And not too uncomfortable to wear on my back in my 40s and 50s.

But now with a 60-year-old back and two lightweight bikes without racks, on those bikes I have started to use a smaller, lighter bag carrying only my office clothes and lunch. Although I carried my handlebar headlight in the backpack this morning like I have been doing for decades, it occurs to me I can simply clip it to the handle bars (I know, right?).

I've kept shoes, sweaters, jackets and coats at the office to cut weight ever since reading about that on BF back in 2008, and am fortunate to once again have a job where I can do that. And I've removed the handle-bar mirrors from all my bikes now, although my 'main' commuter, a 2015 Charge Plug 4 and my 1997 Nishiki Blazer MTB-based commuter still have bells.

Anyway, Ive been decluttering my commute bag and bikes, and like with my house, I'm finding commuting more enjoyable.

Last edited by BobbyG; 11-12-22 at 09:39 AM.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-11-22, 12:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
nice. a few years ago I went thru my bag & found 3 chain tools! argh!
Likes For rumrunn6: