Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Riding through the "ghetto"

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Riding through the "ghetto"

Old 10-21-10, 07:32 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For most of my experience, as a bicyclist you are beneath their notice. But if your situation makes you nervous, find another route.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-21-10, 02:36 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Ride around if you're nervous, but it's always a good idea to give any batch of pedestrians a wide berth; people on foot often miss bikes.

The other thing I'd make sure to do is to be very confident in your bike's physical shape. Give it a weekly once-over if you don't already, and have some tire liners or something so you aren't stuck dealing with a flat tire in a lousy area.
Old 10-21-10, 04:33 PM
DirtRoadRunner

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I foolishly rode through East St. Louis, IL several months ago with a riding partner. Our normal route was flooded out by the Mississippi (nice levee trail), and we made a wrong turn trying to hook up with a highway to go around ESTL. It was about 10AM on a Saturday morning. While nothing bad happened, we were stared down like crazy, riding our nice road bikes and spandex - not somewhere I want to ride again.
Old 10-25-10, 09:35 AM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carrying a gun doesn't mean I have to use the gun in every situation. I need not be like a man with only a hammer, looking about for nails to pound.

Carrying a gun doesn't mean I can't use pepper spray; carrying a gun doesn't mean I can't use a knife (just as lethal, but might be better in certain situations); carrying a gun doesn't mean I can't use fists, elbows, knees, etc; carrying a gun doesn't mean I can't run, ride, or otherwise attempt to get away; carrying a gun doesn't mean I can't submit to the criminal and give them what they demand.

What carrying a gun does do is give me another option. Coleen, who carries both pepper spray and tasers, has many more self-defense options available to her than the average person. She has multiple units of each type, and while she hasn't specifically said so, I would bet that she carries them in various places about her, so she can get hold of one in just about any situation - seated, on her back, one arm pinned, etc... She's clearly thought about the pros and cons of her varied defense tools, and what she'd likely do in various 'what-if' situations. That mental process alone is invaluable, because if she gets into a bad situation, she will have to spend less time deciding and more time acting.

Carrying a firearm, knife, or other, less-lethal weapon isn't for everybody. If somebody is freaked out about the idea of carrying guns, that's fine - they shouldn't carry one. Lucile, for example, clearly is uncomfortable with guns; I'd not ask her to carry one any more than I'd ask somebody afraid of dogs to get a German Shepherd.

If somebody isn't trained, and doesn't feel comfortable carrying one without proper training, then they should either remedy their lack of training or choose not to carry. Tjspiel, as another example, might fall into this category. Clearly he's concerned about levels of training, so perhaps, if he were interested in carrying, he should look at signing up for some self-defense classes (both armed and unarmed), weapons retention training (keeping your gun when somebody else is trying to take it), and following it up by joining a local IDPA group to run active-fire 'what-if' courses.

As a gun-owner who carries one every day, I can say with assurance that I have taken such training, that I regularly go through the thought-processes that Coleen clearly has, and that, more important, I realize something that those who don't carry guns don't think about:
ANY fight I get into is a gun fight. Whether I choose to use my gun or not, it's presence means I must keep it under my control. If somebody attempts to take it, I must be willing to use force, deadly force if necessary, to stop him. As such, I find myself much more polite than I used to be. I don't get mad when somebody cuts me off in a car. I am willing to eat crow, swallow my pride, and let my feelings get hurt if it means it can avoid a fight. What's the point in fighting over hurt pride? That question may have a much different answer when you know the potential consequences can be a life lost.
Lastly, a gun isn't a magic remote control device for people; you don't point it at somebody, issue commands, and expect them to follow them. That is to say, you only draw if your intent is to immediately shoot to stop the immediate threat of death or grievous bodily harm; you don't draw or reveal your gun to threaten somebody; you don't shoot warning shots; you don't shoot to maim or injure; you don't shoot for such crazy-hard-to-hit locations like weapons, legs, arms, etc...; you don't even shoot to kill; you shoot to stop the threat. It's unfortunate that that the most effective way to rapidly stop an attacker threatening you happens to be very unhealthy for the attacker.
Old 10-25-10, 10:52 AM
oneeyedhobbit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SactoDoug
I'm sure your "ghetto" in Seattle is the same as ours in California. Having to ride through a low income Seattle neighborhood where the hippies live is the same as the crack and meth filled neighborhoods in my part of the country.

What is the scariest incident that you have ever witness or been a part of in Seattle?
I knew you were ******** when I read your earlier posts, but this really highlights your ignorance. If you think the bad neighborhoods in Seattle are just low income hippies I suggest you do some research. There are still bad neighborhoods complete with violent crime and gang activity. Hell Pioneer Square and the International District are great during the day, but probably not the best places to be biking alone after dark, and those aren't even the real "hoods."
Old 09-28-22, 06:59 PM
tom123456

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ghettobike owner carlos james

I called ghetto bikes and talk to Carlos James who owns ghetto bikes, I told him I want to buy a bike from him and he asked me what color I wanted and what handlebars I wanted and what exhaust pipe I wanted loud or quiet, we worked the deal out any charge my credit card $3000 with shipping, he said it would be about 8 weeks before I would see the bike delivered to me, he seemed like a real nice guy on the phone but after 12 weeks the bike never showed up. I tried to call him he did not answer, I tried to text him he did not answer, I tried to email he did not answer, so I used my wife's phone with a different phone number to call him and answered right away, I told him that I would like to buy some rims from him, he said okay give your credit card number and I'll ship them to you, this guy is a total con liar scammer, there is many blogs on the Internet about how this guy is a scammer he has scammed hundred of people took their money and never sent the parts all the way up to Canada and New York and many other states and countries. Do not buy from this guy he is a total crook. I am now working with the district attorney to prosecute him for credit card fraud, people be aware
Old 09-28-22, 07:00 PM
tom123456

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I called ghetto bikes and talk to Carlos James who owns ghetto bikes, I told him I want to buy a bike from him and he asked me what color I wanted and what handlebars I wanted and what exhaust pipe I wanted loud or quiet, we worked the deal out any charge my credit card $3000 with shipping, he said it would be about 8 weeks before I would see the bike delivered to me, he seemed like a real nice guy on the phone but after 12 weeks the bike never showed up. I tried to call him he did not answer, I tried to text him he did not answer, I tried to email he did not answer, so I used my wife's phone with a different phone number to call him and answered right away, I told him that I would like to buy some rims from him, he said okay give your credit card number and I'll ship them to you, this guy is a total con liar scammer, there is many blogs on the Internet about how this guy is a scammer he has scammed hundred of people took their money and never sent the parts all the way up to Canada and New York and many other states and countries. Do not buy from this guy he is a total crook. I am now working with the district attorney to prosecute him for credit card fraud, people be aware
Old 09-30-22, 12:11 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 358 Posts
How the hell did this post make it into a 12 year old thread? It is motorcycle related, and only matches on the keyword "ghetto". Talk about automated spam.
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-06-22, 01:38 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
How the hell did this post make it into a 12 year old thread? It is motorcycle related, and only matches on the keyword "ghetto". Talk about automated spam.
The real question is: why wasn't this thread locked (after the 3rd post) 12 years ago, so it couldn't be appended to by anything or anyone? This is why we can't have nice things. Lock it now before the reboot ...
Old 10-06-22, 02:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
My one compromise (except it wasn't a hardship!) was to ride tubular tires that I knew I could change and ride on in 5 minutes. Never had to. But reading this thread, you know, it might have just gone down as me entertaining these kids as I changed my tire (and TG, being tubulars, not all my attention would be needed there). I'm betting that at the end I'd get a 'That was cool!" and the street variety of best wishes. (And if things really looked bad, I could just ride on for however long I had to on the flat.)
Old 11-06-22, 06:59 AM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
I work right in the middle of the 'hood. We regularly get death threats at work. (Who in their right mind makes death threats to librarians? Sheesh.) There's no other way to get there, except maybe by helicopter.

As a cyclist, the suburbs frighten the hell out of me. The 'hood? Not so much. At least in the 'hood, folks are used to bikes and know how to drive respectful around them. No one there wants to tangle with the cops. It's the suburbs where nobody gives a damn about cyclists.

I've had no problems riding through the neighborhood. I don't change a thing. I ride through in full hi-viz, lycra-clad regalia, lights on as required, panniers loaded--the works.

The most I've ever gotten out of anyone was "Nice bike! How much did it cost?"

In that neck of the woods, every bike I own, even my titanium Litespeed cost, "A hundred bucks. I got it used on Craigslist. You should check it out."

Other than occasionally complimenting other riders on their bikes, (and there are some really nice cruisers) I mind my business, and folks mind theirs.

As far as loud music is concerned, there's one corner I really like where this old guy sits out front playing jazz guitar. I give him his props, every day.

*I'm jealous of your profession! Maybe in another life! Anyway, I'll just say, "$10!" when they ask how much mine cost. Nevermind about all the accessories that cost more than the bike itself. Haha!
Likes For jaxy357:
Old 11-06-22, 07:52 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxy357
*I'm jealous of your profession! Maybe in another life! Anyway, I'll just say, "$10!" when they ask how much mine cost. Nevermind about all the accessories that cost more than the bike itself. Haha!
Holy zombie thread, Batman!

I retired five years ago. Didn't stick. I went back a year later, only as a "Page", a minimum-wage position best described as, "Just the old guy who puts the books away". A handy phrase to append to "I'm afraid you'll have to ask a librarian."

Occasionally, though, I get to pull this to an outreach...

Makes many smiles along the way, and helps tremendously with any traffic issues that may arise...
Likes For tsl:
Old 11-06-22, 10:30 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Good to see you tsl when you drop in
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-08-22, 08:53 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I ride through the hood daily in the morning and evening. Just ride and mind your own business. Never live in fear. I've ridden in Aurora, CO, Denver, CO and Albuquerque, NM. No one has ever hassled me.
Old 11-12-22, 07:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Aurora is the ghetto?