Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Daughter Talking Me Into a Spin Class

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Daughter Talking Me Into a Spin Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 01:27 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
Well, Altair 4 how'd it go?
Old 01-07-23, 02:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Can’t really fairly compare sprinters (spin class) to endurance road riders. Besides, most of them are there for an aerobic workout and not to improve their cycling stamina - at least from the spin classes I took.
So what type of training is a typical spin class, then (I never have done one)?

Sounds like sprint intervals.

Old 01-07-23, 02:36 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

They spend an awful lot of time standing, not sitting on the seat. And there are intervals of high-speed spins and low speed spins and high resistance and low resistance.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 01-07-23, 05:55 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Well, Altair 4 how'd it go?
Wednesday, it's this coming Wednesday. No to worry, I'll post before the end of the week.
Old 01-07-23, 06:22 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
Perhaps I wasn’t clear. I’ve done actual road rides with these same folks who kill me in spin class. I can’t keep up with them in spin, they can’t keep up with me on the road.
Hardly a big deal. But I struggle with the concept of 'getting killed in a spin class'. I guess that means that (for example) you are instructed to accelerate for some period of time and you give out at your chosen effort level while the others are still going at their chosen effort level (which might be half your power or double your power or ... ). But since you have no idea about the power levels what does this mean (other than they are maybe better at selecting their level of effort in a spin bike class environment vs. you).

I just would have worded it a different way. OTOH, I suppose that a hard/varied effort for 45 minutes is different than a hard/varied effort for 2.5 hours. It just seemed to me to be a pacing thing (most likely) vs a fitness thing.

dave
Old 01-07-23, 06:55 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by gobicycling
They spend an awful lot of time standing, not sitting on the seat. And there are intervals of high-speed spins and low speed spins and high resistance and low resistance.
So kind of a general, targeting all sorts of things, workout?

Old 01-07-23, 07:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

We had one spin instructor who was a local time trialist and another who was a Cat 1 trackie. They both used about the same method - tunes. We'd do something for the length of the tune, then something different for the next one, so like 3' intervals of various sorts, some hard, some moderate. There weren't many max effort tunes, maybe 4 in an hour? There were also recovery tunes. They tried to match the beats to what they wanted us to do. That was a lot of work on their part, to put together the music for an hour of varied efforts.

My wife and I wore HRMs, with which we were very familiar, to gauge our effort levels. The most difficult thing we commonly did was seated low cadence, like 55-60, in Z4-5. That transferred well to the road. We also did a good bit of OOS, which did not transfer well because we were on spin bikes with flywheels. We didn't do weird spin bike stuff - it was mostly like being on a real bike, working hard.
Old 01-10-23, 09:21 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you're taking some extra gear like a change of clothes, get yourself a lock for the lockers. I usually buy the 3 pack of combo Masterlock with the common code. You can share the locks, or have a backup with the same code in case you leave it/lose it. Since you're at the gym, take full advantage of it. Stash your other gear in a locker before the class. After, change back into gym shoes and do whatever you choose. Strength training, yoga, water aerobics, whatever. Get a good workout, Bring a fresh towel for a shower/shave/etc afterwards. Head out the door ready for the rest of the day. It's a good routine to acquire.

More importantly, don't worry or care that others in there might be looking at you. People are in there for a common goal. They're doing their own thing and are glad that you're doing yours instead of sitting on the couch at home.

Last edited by seypat; 01-10-23 at 09:28 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 01-10-23, 09:41 AM
seypat

Depends on the class. Here's the cycle schedule for the nearest location of the gym chain I go to. click on the classes to get more info. Click on all of the categories to see what the gym has to offer. If you can't get fit and have fun doing it, it's not the gym's fault.

https://amfamfit.com/midlothian/grou...ass-schedules/

https://amfamfit.com/midlothian/grou...ass-schedules/
Old 01-11-23, 06:35 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
More importantly, don't worry or care that others in there might be looking at you. People are in there for a common goal. They're doing their own thing and are glad that you're doing yours instead of sitting on the couch at home.
I wish that were true in all cases. I was told at the local YMCA that I was not allowed due to my "visible tattoos".
Old 01-11-23, 08:43 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
probably nothing estimating a granny gear, slow, hill climb
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-11-23, 08:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I wish that were true in all cases. I was told at the local YMCA that I was not allowed due to my "visible tattoos".
I have a 2nd job at a big box home improvement store. we do lots of on-line training. some courses cover discrimination of all types. then they quiz you. it helps us keep our unconscious bias in check. but I was surprised that discrimination against body art, specifically, is not protected by law. not to get "political" but I thought that was unfortunate. but then the course went ahead & showed a video clip showing how a customer might have unconscious bias against a colleague w/ body art & how to guide the customer back to that associate, who, in fact, has an expertise in the area of the customer's interest
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-11-23, 03:44 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I have a 2nd job at a big box home improvement store. we do lots of on-line training. some courses cover discrimination of all types. then they quiz you. it helps us keep our unconscious bias in check. but I was surprised that discrimination against body art, specifically, is not protected by law. not to get "political" but I thought that was unfortunate. but then the course went ahead & showed a video clip showing how a customer might have unconscious bias against a colleague w/ body art & how to guide the customer back to that associate, who, in fact, has an expertise in the area of the customer's interest
Tattoo certainly isn't one of the "protected classes", such as:
  • race/color
  • religion
  • sex/gender
  • sexual orientation
  • marital status
  • national origin
If a tattoo were considered "religious dress", you might be protected under religion.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 01-11-23, 05:35 PM
rumrunn6

If a tattoo were considered "religious dress", you might be protected under religion.
oh good point. I wonder if New Zealand Maori would be like that. I know some have body art, but not all? "Māori religion encompasses the various religious beliefs and practices of the Māori, the Polynesian indigenous people of New Zealand"
Old 01-12-23, 07:26 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
No reason for that. In the current times, it seems the people without tattoos, piercings, etc are in the minority. It shouldn't matter either way.
Old 01-12-23, 09:18 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by seypat
No reason for that. In the current times, it seems the people without tattoos, piercings, etc are in the minority. It shouldn't matter either way.
"they" have their own rules. all the gyms I've been to, have no problems with body art
Old 01-18-23, 12:04 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
So my daughter works part-time at our YMCA. She's been nagging me to try a spin class and I met the instructor last night. I'm going to give it a try next week.

Looking for advice. I guess wear my padded bike shorts and my 5 10 stiff soled shoes. Most of my trail rides are 15 to 20 miles. Not sure what this whole spin thing is going to be like. They apparently have a big screen monitor with a video of roads from somewhere. I dunno. I'm pretty laid back when I ride - I like to ride solo and do whatever I want while on the bike. If I see a vista I want to look at or photo, I do it. I'm concerned I'm going to look bad.

My primary reason for doing it is because I told my kid "I'll do it if you will." I think the exercise will help her ADHD and get her moving. I'll post more afterward.
Altair 4, are you still among the living? I hope you survived your class.

I always considered the ones I took equivalent to a cardiac stress test.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-18-23, 10:42 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Altair 4, are you still among the living? I hope you survived your class.

I always considered the ones I took equivalent to a cardiac stress test.
Naw, much better than that! Stress tests are usually only 15'. Can't tell much from that, not even warmed up yet.
Old 01-18-23, 02:33 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Update - so I mentioned that my kid is ADHD. For reasons I'm not going into here, she doesn't drive. She cross-scheduled her evening college class with the spin class. Wednesday morning I said to her over breaky that we've got spin class that night. My wife said, "hold on - she's got a class on Wednesday evenings."

I'm her ride and the class trumps spin. So maybe after the spring semester is over I'll give the class a try. Not all is lost, as we gain a bit more light in the evenings, I'll be taking my bike with us and riding the area near her school. It's a quiet neighborhood and I get some saddle time in if I'm not just quick walking the arear. It' ain't spinnin', but it's something!
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 01-18-23, 02:59 PM
rumrunn6

whew, that was close!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-18-23, 03:26 PM
seypat

This one looks like the average class.

Old 01-18-23, 03:46 PM
seypat

Same Company.

Old 01-19-23, 12:24 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
All that suspense and now the let down. But totally understandable since my grown son has ADHD, and can totally relate.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-19-23, 09:27 AM
Altair 4

All that suspense and now the let down. But totally understandable since my grown son has ADHD, and can totally relate.
If you get it, you get it. Never a dull moment with ADHD kids.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 01-19-23, 11:41 AM
seypat

Mine also.
Likes For seypat:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.