Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Magura brakes on P5

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Magura brakes on P5

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 06:55 PM
jrpappy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Magura brakes on P5

I have a Cervelo P5 with Magura brakes. Love the bike, dialed fit, etc. So not looking to upgrade. But the Magura RT8 brakes are leaking, unsupported and unserviceable.

I've been given recommendations to swap brakes and levers to TRP mechanical. Problem is that this will make it impossible to cover the front and rear brake calipers with the aero brake covers.

Does anyone have any experience with mixing hydraulic brake levers and brake calipers? I'd like to keep the Magura calipers and replace the levers with the Shimano DI2 hydraulic levers as long as they are compatible. I know they may not be a perfect match, but they do both use mineral oil, so that's a start.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

John
Old 02-16-19, 11:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
you on which continent ?

https://www.magura.com/media/1946/rt...2013_en_08.pdf

note last page, 3 regional distribution/ service centers contact addresses ...

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-17-19 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 01:10 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by jrpappy
I have a Cervelo P5 with Magura brakes. Love the bike, dialed fit, etc. So not looking to upgrade. But the Magura RT8 brakes are leaking, unsupported and unserviceable.
5-year warranty, and totally serviceable (but use warranty first), you need to question the reasoning of this from whoever told you the weren't supported (if the LBS who sold you the bike is saying this, they shouldn't be selling them)

I've been given recommendations to swap brakes and levers to TRP mechanical. Problem is that this will make it impossible to cover the front and rear brake calipers with the aero brake covers.
So not a good choice!

Does anyone have any experience with mixing hydraulic brake levers and brake calipers? I'd like to keep the Magura calipers and replace the levers with the Shimano DI2 hydraulic levers as long as they are compatible. I know they may not be a perfect match, but they do both use mineral oil, so that's a start.
Technically, they both use the same type of fluid (minieral) but after that would stick with a brand, and not mix and match between brands.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
More info, how old is the bike. where you are helps for specifics? Get the Maguras fixed under warranty/service if over 5 years and ride?
Old 02-17-19, 11:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

You want to convert whole hydraulic brake system to mechanical ? no half way .. remove the whole thing..

Cervelo P5 (web image) is rather high end, are your mechanical skills advanced, to match?

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-17-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-17-19, 06:28 PM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you fietsbob and jimc101. I'm in Phoenix, Arizona, so lots of good bike shops around here. This is the information I have gotten from two LBSs who rep Cervelo. I don't want to covert my bike to mechanical as I'm happy with the hydraulic brakes and the overall functionality. But I was told that this was my only option from both shops independently! I'll call Magura tomorrow to find out what they can do. Sounds like I've been the recipient of some bad intel.

If I find out anything of interest on this site, I'll make sure to let you all know.

John
Old 02-18-19, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

I have a Magura, brake set, but its their HS 33 Rim Brake for V brake post Frames 11 years back I replaced the Hoses, for longer,
After that all I did was replace brake pads .

'Olives' are what they call the sealing ring that grips the hose as you tighten the fittings , that is what can leak, you buy new olives,
and have to cut the hose shorter to get the old ones off..

Most shops only see hydraulic disc brake and predominantly Mountain bike.

Magura's rim brakes are a bit different , a Closed System, no expansion tank needed, like disc brakes
because applying the brakes does not heat the fluid,
so once the air bubbles are out , they don't need regular maintenance bleeding..

Old 02-22-19, 08:24 AM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I called Magura and they confirmed that there are no more RT8 or RT6 brakes in stock and that the brake levers are indeed unserviceable. The guy I spoke with was helpful and sounded a bit frustrated that Cervelo, in their wisdom, decided to scuttle a product that took a lot of time to design and manufacture. I think it's crap that and expensive, high performance bike like the P5 would have this problem with no apparent ez fix.

The rep suggested to me that others have tried, with success, to swap out the levers for the Shimano DI2 hydraulic lever/shifters. I've asked my LBS to order a set and give it a go. I'm a bit concerned as I've heard that it can be tricky...that there's no pad wear adjustment on the Shimanos like there was on the Magura.

Hopefully will find out whether this works this week.
Old 02-22-19, 10:01 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Magura still make the cable to closed hydraulic converter that mounts under the stem? then your brake lever will be cable

and the Di2 multiple button set .. for both bull horn and aero bar shifting..
Old 04-19-19, 09:11 AM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just as an update, I had my LBS replace my Magura brake levers with Shimano hydraulic lever/DI2 shifters. It was successful and works great. The Shimano levers have a longer pull then the Magura levers but I'm happy to keep my P5 mostly intact.
Old 05-06-19, 11:40 AM
Steve Marshall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello jrpappy- I hv the same issue with my P5 and the/my bike store made the same recommendation to go mechanical but then I lose the fairings....so just order the 2019 Shimano hydraulic lever/Di2 shifters, remove the magura levers and the Shimano levers connect just fine and the new set up holds the charge and oil pressure?
Old 05-12-19, 06:43 PM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Marshall
Hello jrpappy- I hv the same issue with my P5 and the/my bike store made the same recommendation to go mechanical but then I lose the fairings....so just order the 2019 Shimano hydraulic lever/Di2 shifters, remove the magura levers and the Shimano levers connect just fine and the new set up holds the charge and oil pressure?
So far so good, Steve. I’ve only put a couple hundred miles in the new brakes so far so maybe too soon to tell. My LBS mechanic said that these brakes are really sturdy, as you would expect from Shimano. At first it took me awhile to get used to the longer lever travel. And I don’t know if there is a way to adjust for brake pad wear. But they look and feel great and the shifting on the horns is great, especially when navigating busy roads on the way out onto the open roads.

I was getting so tired of the mushy brake feel that my Maguras developed. So riding now feels really secure. You’re going to love them.
Old 07-10-19, 06:54 PM
Angelo0011

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far so good, Steve. I’ve only put a couple hundred miles in the new brakes so far so maybe too soon to tell. My LBS mechanic said that these brakes are really sturdy, as you would expect from Shimano. At first it took me awhile to get used to the longer lever travel. And I don’t know if there is a way to adjust for brake pad wear. But they look and feel great and the shifting on the horns is great, especially when navigating busy roads on the way out onto the open roads.

I was getting so tired of the mushy brake feel that my Maguras developed. So riding now feels really secure. You’re going to love them.
I'am currently searching for Magura brake levers, do you still have them?

If not can I get pictures and or part numbers for the shimano lever/shifters so I can get my wife's P5 up and running.

Feel free to contact me via FB

thanks!
Old 09-27-19, 01:35 PM
Em1038

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I could really use some part numbers for shimano levers to go with Madura calipers on p5. LBS having a hard time getting rear brakes repaired
Old 09-29-19, 09:04 PM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Em1038
I could really use some part numbers for shimano levers to go with Madura calipers on p5. LBS having a hard time getting rear brakes repaired
Im not 100% sure but I think I got the STR-8060s which are Ultegra. The DA version is STR-9180. Both should work fine.
Old 10-22-19, 11:36 PM
FaNgum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TRP alternative

Anyone tried the TRP T910 levers instead of the Shimano? Price wise it's more reasonable for a replacement and design is not too bad imo
Old 06-13-20, 08:40 AM
Rbrandt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some questions

Im not 100% sure but I think I got the STR-8060s which are Ultegra. The DA version is STR-9180. Both should work fine.
Hi John, I have some questions regarding your set up here. I too have a P5 and am in Phoenix. Can we connect by phone?
Old 04-05-21, 12:39 PM
mvincent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just as an update, I had my LBS replace my Magura brake levers with Shimano hydraulic lever/DI2 shifters. It was successful and works great. The Shimano levers have a longer pull then the Magura levers but I'm happy to keep my P5 mostly intact.
Now that you have had these a couple years are you still happy with them?
What needs to be done when they need adjusting for race wheels that are wider than you regular wheels?
Old 04-05-21, 12:53 PM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are still working great. I have had no further issues with the Shimano brakes. It has been a relief to have dependable braking.

As for adjustments, I haven't noticed a problem. All of my wheels seem to fit as they are of similar widths. I'm not sure that there is much adjustability for wheel changes or pad wear. Not perfect but a huge improvement for me.
Old 06-20-21, 09:21 AM
Ec6863

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was your original issue your rear brake?

Hey there here I am in 2021 having the same issue you had back in 2019 it looks like. I'm in Portland and just like you they are having a hard time finding the part needed to not make my brake smooshy, could I contact you to have a little more info on your solution?
Old 06-20-21, 07:11 PM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ec6863
Hey there here I am in 2021 having the same issue you had back in 2019 it looks like. I'm in Portland and just like you they are having a hard time finding the part needed to not make my brake smooshy, could I contact you to have a little more info on your solution?
sure I really don’t have much more info than what I’ve posted previously. It’s been awhile since I made this change.
Old 01-18-23, 07:51 AM
PeterGy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello jrpappy,
Can you please tell me exactly which type of Shimano brake levers you installed? Having this issue now with my Cube bike (which comes with Cube branded brakes - produced by Magura, and most probably the same as RT6/8).

Thanks,
P.
Old 01-18-23, 01:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
In mountain biking, pairing Shimano levers with Magura calipers is so common there is a name for it: Shigura. The Magura hose fits fine in the Shimano levers using a Magura barb and. Shimano olive.

I was wondering if the same would work for road brakes. From what I’m reading here, it sounds like it does
Old 01-22-23, 08:55 PM
jrpappy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterGy
Hello jrpappy,
Can you please tell me exactly which type of Shimano brake levers you installed? Having this issue now with my Cube bike (which comes with Cube branded brakes - produced by Magura, and most probably the same as RT6/8).

Thanks,
P.
Hi PeterGy. If you look through the thread you’ll see the following reply…

“Im not 100% sure but I think I got the STR-8060s which are Ultegra. The DA version is STR-9180. Both should work fine.”

hope this helps you.
Old 07-25-23, 08:53 PM
Tommy_Tris

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi PeterGy. If you look through the thread you’ll see the following reply…

“Im not 100% sure but I think I got the STR-8060s which are Ultegra. The DA version is STR-9180. Both should work fine.”

hope this helps you.
I'm on the hunt for these levers to help fix this same problem.. are you sure you're using the STR-8060 levers? I'm being told from the suppliers that these aren't hydraulic.
Old 07-26-23, 02:06 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy_Tris
I'm on the hunt for these levers to help fix this same problem.. are you sure you're using the STR-8060 levers? I'm being told from the suppliers that these aren't hydraulic.
From a quick glance at this, it appears you want the 8070?
I'm not a disc brake or road guy....
https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/R8...050-05-ENG.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.