Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Thank you cxwrench... koolstop

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 09:13 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts

Thanking cxwrench. Finally got around to getting koolstop pads for some dual pivot calipers. The Continentals.

They felt stickier and softer out of the package than what came with the Tektros.

They stop much better. Closes the performance gap to cantilevers quite a bit.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-07-21, 09:16 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Sweet, glad they're working out for ya!
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 08-08-21, 10:53 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Tektro makes decent rim brakes but their OEM pads are really substandard. Kool Stop replacements, as you discovered, make a huge improvement.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-08-21, 08:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If it doesn't have Stop in the title it isn't a brake pad ; ) Swiss or Kool you are pretty much guaranteed to get good pads and with Kool Stop you can get all the odd ball stuff that doesn't exist anymore.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-08-21, 09:16 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I met the founder of Kool Stop at Interbike several years ago, had a great visit with him. He developed that awesome salmon brake pad compound back in the '70's for Scott-Matthauser, and most agree that compound is pretty much the best rim brake pad compound ever (not for carbon rims, obviously).
Likes For well biked:
Old 08-08-21, 09:44 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If it doesn't have Stop in the title it isn't a brake pad ; ) Swiss or Kool you are pretty much guaranteed to get good pads and with Kool Stop you can get all the odd ball stuff that doesn't exist anymore.
Back when you could get Mafac pads new (not15 yo NOS!), they stopped. No Stop in the title but they did have a squeal though the whole song.

I rode down Alba Rd near Santa Cruz in a Pacific winter storm on the Mafac cantis on my brand new Peter Mooney. An inch of water running across the road in many places. Paved. A grade like Mt Washington in NH; half the distance. Half way down my hands were so cold and wet I had to go to two fingers (braking the whole time, much like Mt Washington because otherwise I wouldn't make the next corner). At the bottom, "these brakes work!"

And fun with that squeal - I used to be carless among Boston's famous drivers. When they pulled a fast one on me, I'd hit the front brake extra hard. Every head within a block would turn. I'd point to the car. Eyes followed my point. At about that time, the drive, having been awakened from his stupor, looks up. Sees everybody looking at him. Slinks away like a guilty cat. It was fun! (Riding sewups meant the rims were never 100% clean. I could trust my life to that squeal.)

Edit: Yes, KoolStop pads work. Near silent in the Mafacs and great stopping power. In rain, yes, the revolution or so to scrape the rim but after that, decent stopping power even on very steep grades.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-08-21 at 09:49 PM. Reason: To add a word on KoolStop, the thread subject
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 08-09-21, 07:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Back when you could get Mafac pads new (not15 yo NOS!), they stopped. No Stop in the title but they did have a squeal though the whole song.

I rode down Alba Rd near Santa Cruz in a Pacific winter storm on the Mafac cantis on my brand new Peter Mooney. An inch of water running across the road in many places. Paved. A grade like Mt Washington in NH; half the distance. Half way down my hands were so cold and wet I had to go to two fingers (braking the whole time, much like Mt Washington because otherwise I wouldn't make the next corner). At the bottom, "these brakes work!"

And fun with that squeal - I used to be carless among Boston's famous drivers. When they pulled a fast one on me, I'd hit the front brake extra hard. Every head within a block would turn. I'd point to the car. Eyes followed my point. At about that time, the drive, having been awakened from his stupor, looks up. Sees everybody looking at him. Slinks away like a guilty cat. It was fun! (Riding sewups meant the rims were never 100% clean. I could trust my life to that squeal.)

Edit: Yes, KoolStop pads work. Near silent in the Mafacs and great stopping power. In rain, yes, the revolution or so to scrape the rim but after that, decent stopping power even on very steep grades.
Mafac is French for Stop...LOL
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-11-21, 07:11 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
"arrêter" is French for "stop". :-)
Old 08-11-21, 11:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Are these noticeably better than the stock Shimano R55C4 pads?

By noticeable, I mean can I tell a difference without taking a measurement? (For example, both a 64" table and a 60.2" table are measurably longer than a 60" table, but only the 64" table is noticeably longer than a 60" table.)
Old 08-12-21, 02:23 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
For the old style brake blocks I never had the Koolstop Conti's but I do have the Dia Compe Gray Matter pads and they're outstanding. They're really soft and do wear quick but a bag of four costs $6.99. I have Koolstop salmons on some newer 7600 brakes and the Dia Comp's are a softer compound.

https://www.amazon.com/Dia-Compe-Gre.../dp/B001CJZ2S8

Old 08-12-21, 05:47 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

By noticeable, I mean can I tell a difference without taking a measurement? (For example, both a 64" table and a 60.2" table are measurably longer than a 60" table, but only the 64" table is noticeably longer than a 60" table.)
Every Kool-Stop pad I've used (that replaced another brand) was quieter, smoother, and just plain more pleasant to use than the pad it replaced. I don't know if they stopped any shorter or not. But they were much nicer to use. My point is you very likely will notice an improvement, even if it's not a measurable reduction in braking distance.
Old 08-12-21, 07:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Is it just the pandemic-related supply chain issues or what, but I've been having a harder time finding salmon koolstops of late. Or maybe it's because I'm looking for salmon pads for campagnolo calipers, which I haven't done before and maybe were never made.
Old 08-12-21, 08:51 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Is it just the pandemic-related supply chain issues or what, but I've been having a harder time finding salmon koolstops of late. Or maybe it's because I'm looking for salmon pads for campagnolo calipers, which I haven't done before and maybe were never made.
They're a little scarce for now but can still be found. Try Ebay. kool-stop campagnolo super record 2011 brake pads salmon | eBay Seems to me Campy KS Salmons always seemed to be harder to find even in good times. Many places just didn't stock them for some reason.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 08-12-21, 09:38 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
They're a little scarce for now but can still be found. Try Ebay. kool-stop campagnolo super record 2011 brake pads salmon | eBay Seems to me Campy KS Salmons always seemed to be harder to find even in good times. Many places just didn't stock them for some reason.
Thanks, guess I didn't search ebay hard enough. Figured my usual online bike parts sources would have them or they wouldn't exist.
Old 08-12-21, 12:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by sweeks
"arrêter" is French for "stop". :-)
Well sure if you use google translate but I used my heart
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-12-21, 01:47 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2480 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Not to spoil your joke, but:

MAFAC, or Manufacture Auvergnoise de Freins et Accessoires pour Cycles (Arveni Manufacturing Works for Bicycle Brakes and Accessories), was a French manufacturer of bicycle brakes and tool kits. MAFAC was founded in post-war France under the name "Securité", which changed to MAFAC in the Autumn of 1947.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 08-12-21, 07:28 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Heh... that's what I did. Try googling bicycle arrete pipi.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 08-13-21, 05:20 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Every Kool-Stop pad I've used (that replaced another brand) was quieter, smoother, and just plain more pleasant to use than the pad it replaced. I don't know if they stopped any shorter or not. But they were much nicer to use. My point is you very likely will notice an improvement, even if it's not a measurable reduction in braking distance.
What was this other brand? Shimano? Swiss Stop? (Those are about the only ones I know other than Kool Stop.)

I used "noticeable" to distinguish from "measurable" but I did not restrict measurable only to the measurement of braking distance; you could also measure braking noise or other parameters.

I was mainly asking to see what reason, if any, is there to get Kool Stop instead of the stock Shimano R55C4 pads?
Old 08-13-21, 09:24 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
What was this other brand? Shimano? Swiss Stop? (Those are about the only ones I know other than Kool Stop.)

I used "noticeable" to distinguish from "measurable" but I did not restrict measurable only to the measurement of braking distance; you could also measure braking noise or other parameters.

I was mainly asking to see what reason, if any, is there to get Kool Stop instead of the stock Shimano R55C4 pads?
The Kool Stop pads have better modulation, they feel more progressive and seem kind to the rims, they don't pick up little shards of aluminum like the Shimano pads do. They just feel all around better.
Old 08-13-21, 10:34 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts

Kool Stop has been the go-to for as long as I can remember. Brake pads, especially KS, are cheap and definitely worth a try for pretty much everyone. I would never replace pads w/ Shimano. KS first choice, SS second.
Old 08-17-21, 07:49 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I don’t know. Never had Shimano dual pivots.
Old 08-17-21, 07:52 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
For the old style brake blocks I never had the Koolstop Conti's but I do have the Dia Compe Gray Matter pads and they're outstanding. They're really soft and do wear quick but a bag of four costs $6.99. I have Koolstop salmons on some newer 7600 brakes and the Dia Comp's are a softer compound.

https://www.amazon.com/Dia-Compe-Gre.../dp/B001CJZ2S8

Huh. At 7$ I guess not much lost if you don’t like them.
Other perspective could be to save time by sticking with one known commodity.
Old 08-17-21, 07:54 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

#2 LA river.
I asked her on her first ride after switching the pads if the bike braked better. Emphatic yes as she was stopping at the stop sign.
Old 08-17-21, 08:07 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

~20 years ago I saw a guy on a scooter give a push to a young woman riding a step through going around the Arc de Triomphe round about.

She was pretty and looked back at him with an amazing smile.

Probably one of my first realizations that adults can also have fun on bikes.

Only related cause it’s a French memory involving bikes.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 08-18-21, 05:45 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
In my case, several other brands. Usually OE style pads (either Tektro or Shimano). I've never used Swiss Stop pads. In one case, I was bringing an old Peugeot with MAFAC Racer brakes back to life. They didn't have the brake blocks when I got it -- just the brake calipers themselves. I first used inexpensive-but-new Altus CT91 smooth post cantilever pads. These worked. They weren't great, but they worked, and I had them on hand. I'd get squeal every now and again and they didn't seem to stop all that well, but they worked. I finally broke down and ordered a set of the KS smooth post pads in salmon and they totally transformed the brakes. I mean, completely. The pads feel soft, they feel like they have a firm grip on the rims, and as others said, they don't chew the rims up. They're just pleasant to use (and no noise).

I've also replaced a number of Tektro pads with KS in the past, all to great satisfaction, and all on linear pull brakes. These are the cases where I'm not sure KS gave me a measurable reducing in braking distance, but they just felt nicer to use (modulation, etc.).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.