Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should I Sell It?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-21, 01:59 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 260 Posts
Hey, if you are involved with, or perhaps know the organizers of annual local area riding event that benefits a worthy charitible cause (e.g. local Childrens Hospital Burn Center or their Pediatric Oncology Cancer Research Center, etc... I'm sure you could think of many.... ----OR---perhaps benefitting some great national charitable cause like the St. Jude Children's Reasearch Hospital in Memphis TN )
As part of the promotion for that annual local event ride, you could offer your fine custom carbon 16 pound RALEIGH as a RAFFLE BIKE, as part of the television, print, facebook, instagram, and other social media promotion for that year's event.
Why? Well it is a very cool looking bicycle, and it is "upgraded" and it is 16 pounds. This would likely attract more raised funds via ordinary low contributor folks that perhaps would not open their wallets other than just the nominal entry fee to be a participant on the ride. That isn't an attack on those with "tight-wallets", as family responsibility and circumstances dictate that to many and we should applaud anyone that is that responsible and has their own priorities set as they should be. I am just saying that such a RAFFLE with tickets being so low-cost that even those folks can afford to take a single chance on winning your beautiful 16 pound carbon Raleigh.
Yeah, you'd have the naysayers saying, oh well it isn't a new bike, and it isn't being provided by Harry Morgan Bicycles, or Insane Chain Reactions, or The Outspoken Pedal Pushers, --OR--whatever the names of your local area's prestigious local bike shops are. Forget all that because, your bike is still very nice and a 16 pound carbon bicycle. Yeah, it may not draw Raffle attention from those "cyclists" that are "super-serious cyclists" with tri-athlon competition bikes with $5000 wheelsets.
It will likely draw the attention of average Joes and Janes, and that is not necessarily a bad thing, certainly if they pony up and buy raffle ticket when they otherwise would not have contributed any additional funds to the cause. Yeah, I am guessing that the charity could garner about Five times the revenue(fair mkt value) of your 2006 carbon, upgraded Raleigh, than even if you or they sold it outright and received the top-end of fair mkt value.
It is perhaps something you might consider, if you ever assist in organizing-promoting or are on the board of directors for such an entity's annual ride event.
Old 08-06-21, 05:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
I bought this bike (Raleigh Team) in 2007. My first carbon fiber bike. About 16lbs and with full Ultegra. I haven't ridden it in a couple of years because the riding position is a little too aggressive for me now. I also have 2 other carbon fiber bikes, a Fuji Pro and a Specialized Roubaix so I don't really need this bike anymore.

But...

To me, this bike is a thing of beauty and I want to keep it just to admire it. Yeah, that's crazy talk, but aren't all serious cyclists a little crazy? On the other hand, I think I could get about $1,000.00 for it (not that I need the money) and someone else could get some of the same enjoyment from it that I used to get.

So, what would you do?
I've cleaned house on several bikes, boat load of parts, a smart trainer, 2 bike racks, and other stuff bike related. Been nice to clean house on stuff I was no longer using. In this time of parts shortages, ebay bids were higher than normal.

Old 08-06-21, 07:08 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by fujidon
So, what would you do?
Take drive-side pics.

Then sell it.
​​​​​​
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-09-21, 11:28 AM
AlanO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
I would first see if I could make it fit. Adjustable stem and compact bars worked on two of my bikes as I got older. Comfortable equals fun.
Old 08-09-21, 03:00 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Well, I'd sell it. But instead, since you dont' care about the money, you coudl DONATE it.
Old 08-09-21, 05:27 PM
atnyc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
List it on your local bike club. That way you're sure to find a buyer who will use it to its full potentials.

BTW, what size is it?
​​​​​​​