Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

my worst day of cycling

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

my worst day of cycling

Old 09-13-21, 01:29 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
my worst day of cycling

There are days I think: I don't wanna ride. I'm too tired, it's too cold, it's too hot, it's too dark, I'm too busy with other things. But almost always, if I do, anyway, I'm glad I did. The only times I regret it are sudden changes in the weather that I didn't realize were coming, where I end up freezing, or soaked or both. And those have been very rare.
And 9/11/2001.
I teach at a school in Boston's back day, my first class of the semester was at 10AM. Left my house around 8:45.
It was a beautiful, perfect late summer day. Around 70 degrees, blue sky, a few puffy clouds.
I arrived at the school around 9:30 (Berklee), and went up to where the faculty offices are to change my cloths and gather what I'd need for class.
And there was chaos. People were running around, talking about plane hitting the world trade center.
I got ready for my class, and just as i was leaving (I may have the times of all of this stuff wrong) the second plane hit. Or maybe the first building collapsed: those details are a little muddled.
Shaken, I went to the class anyway, and told the students it felt pretty weird to be there just then. Maybe ten minutes later, and adminstrator knocked on the door and told me the school was closing for the day, and to end the class.
Was the thing to do. The school is a quarter of a mile or so from the Prudential building, second tallest building in Boston. And only a little bit further is the Hancock building (now has a different name, I think), which is even taller.
So I got on my bike and headed for home. Expecting at any moment to see planes slamming into the buildings. And as I rode along the Charles river, I kept worrying that at any moment, things would start exploding. MOST of all, I was really upset that my bike didn't have a radio, so that I could get the news. I felt utterly cut off, and I wanted information.
Probably my least favorite bike ride ever. Like many of us, I'm still haunted by that day.
I'm old enough to remember the only other day in US history that hit me that hard: November 22nd, 1963. I was in 7th grade, and: the world was no longer as safe as it had been.
9/12/2001 I was riding my bike on a street near my house.
A car hit a squirrel that was dashing across the road. That really upset me.
And the day before that: I saw, on my tv, nearly 3000 people murdered. People jumping out of the 80th floor of a burning building.
Old 09-13-21, 01:46 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
Your worst day of cycling? Or just the worst day you happened to be cycling?
Likes For Iride01:
Old 09-13-21, 01:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
My worst day of cycling was when I wrecked and had to ride in the ambulance.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-13-21, 03:39 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
There are days I think: I don't wanna ride. I'm too tired, it's too cold, it's too hot, it's too dark, I'm too busy with other things. But almost always, if I do, anyway, I'm glad I did. The only times I regret it are sudden changes in the weather that I didn't realize were coming, where I end up freezing, or soaked or both. And those have been very rare.
And 9/11/2001.
I teach at a school in Boston's back day, my first class of the semester was at 10AM. Left my house around 8:45.
It was a beautiful, perfect late summer day. Around 70 degrees, blue sky, a few puffy clouds.
I arrived at the school around 9:30 (Berklee), and went up to where the faculty offices are to change my cloths and gather what I'd need for class.
And there was chaos. People were running around, talking about plane hitting the world trade center.
I got ready for my class, and just as i was leaving (I may have the times of all of this stuff wrong) the second plane hit. Or maybe the first building collapsed: those details are a little muddled.
Shaken, I went to the class anyway, and told the students it felt pretty weird to be there just then. Maybe ten minutes later, and adminstrator knocked on the door and told me the school was closing for the day, and to end the class.
Was the thing to do. The school is a quarter of a mile or so from the Prudential building, second tallest building in Boston. And only a little bit further is the Hancock building (now has a different name, I think), which is even taller.
So I got on my bike and headed for home. Expecting at any moment to see planes slamming into the buildings. And as I rode along the Charles river, I kept worrying that at any moment, things would start exploding. MOST of all, I was really upset that my bike didn't have a radio, so that I could get the news. I felt utterly cut off, and I wanted information.
Probably my least favorite bike ride ever. Like many of us, I'm still haunted by that day.
I'm old enough to remember the only other day in US history that hit me that hard: November 22nd, 1963. I was in 7th grade, and: the world was no longer as safe as it had been.
9/12/2001 I was riding my bike on a street near my house.
A car hit a squirrel that was dashing across the road. That really upset me.
And the day before that: I saw, on my tv, nearly 3000 people murdered. People jumping out of the 80th floor of a burning building.

The world was no longer as safe as it had been?
How do you know the difference between safety and the illusion of safety?

I read this post thinking your front wheel popped out of its dropout or something.
Old 09-13-21, 04:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
that was my worst day of fishing
Old 09-13-21, 04:25 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
My worst day of cycling was when I wrecked and had to ride in the ambulance.
Same here, included a helicopter ride and then spinal surgery the next day. All of which, I do not remember...