Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I stink

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21, 12:59 PM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Could you be specific on the better stuff? My understanding is some synthetics are a little better at delaying the stink due to treatment with triclosan or silver particles. My synthetic kit is either Castelli or Assos. There is no way I would wear either for more than a couple hours stinkless whereas I can wear merino or other "wools" for many, many days and the odor will be far less than one day in a synthetic jersey. Some people just do not smell very well (ineffective noses)
​​​​​​Mostly the upper end of Castelli kit. My go to Sunday ride or race wear is typically one of their trisuits, which I initially bought for triathlon, obviously, but have grown to like so much they're my favourite kit for road riding. Very lightweight, thin and wicking (and form fitting), which is very much appreciated in our hot summers. Now the days are colder, paired with one of their jackets (the Perfetto if it's raining, or the short sleeved Perfetto light, maybe with arm warmers, if it's sunny; Mediterranean winters are generally mild).
​​​​​​
​​​​​​Weekday training rides are shorter - typically a hour to a hour and fifteen - and I mostly use cheaper Decathlon roadsuits and jackets which aren't as good in that regard and pick up smells more readily if I'm not meticulous about hygiene. My winter kit is also from Decathlon's top shelf line, but that is rarely required except when I go to the mountains for winter holidays, or an unusually cold spell, or if I want to do an easy ride on a really cold day, and you can't pick up a smell if you are impersonating an icicle.

I have some merino wool stuff but outside of merino socks I am just not very enchanted about it; the merino base layer just does not wick sweat nearly as well as synthetic ones do; bitto for the jersey. Merino socks are rather nice for both running and cycling in winter.

(Decathlon, for the unfamiliar, is an European - French actually - big box sporting chain which is great value and goes from cheap and functional kit to really good stuff which is 90% as good as the finest kit of renowned manufacturers at half the price.)
​​​​​​

Last edited by Branko D; 11-30-21 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-01-21, 01:04 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Just discovered something

Used a brand New Jersey unwashed for a strenuous ride. I was surprised that it still had the stench at the end at the underarm areas - not as strong as my older jerseys used to have, but it was still there. So something about my BO and polyester tends to trap in the smell. Interestingly enough, my underarms themselves don’t smell as strong.

I was using no deodorant or antiperspirant, so I may change that next ride.
Old 12-02-21, 12:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just use Tide or Gain, whatever they make for stinky active folks. Both brands work equally well. I soak my cycling and jogging clothes for 20-30 minutes to give the enzymes time to work. No need for vinegar, borax, baking soda, etc.

The only synthetic fabric I've tried that won't come clean no matter what I tried were some cheap poly t-shirts from the tractor supply store. The BO funk was locked into that fabric. They cost only about $3 each so I just tossed 'em out.

The only dietary funk I've noticed comes from some pungent curry powders and similarly spicy stuff. I can smell it the next day after eating spicy food when I'm jogging or cycling. Especially the really funky stuff like galangal root and fenugreek. And I noticed some extra nose funk after taking Prednisone last month for an upper respiratory inflammation -- steroids do a number on our hormones. But just from eating red meat or pretty much anything else, nah, never noticed any problems.
Old 12-04-21, 08:18 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Well folks, I still stink

Turns out getting the clothes extra clean is helping, but I still smell after a hard ride.

my family even said so after I walked by 😀
Old 12-05-21, 03:44 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Did you try a shower and deodorant before a ride?
Old 12-05-21, 06:59 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Branko D
Did you try a shower and deodorant before a ride?
shower the night before
yes on deodorant
Old 12-05-21, 08:31 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,014 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
shower the night before
yes on deodorant
Deodorant just smells good; antiperspirant is key.
Old 12-05-21, 09:53 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by bch238
Synthetic fabrics smell bad when combined with sweat.
Originally Posted by Branko D
There are people who shower and put on deodorant before a ride and people who, to put it politely, don't smell very well That said, better fabrics seem more... resistant to smell. I have a bunch of cheap dry-fit running shirts (which does get me more sweaty because, well, moving a whole lot slower and all that) which I got participating in races and the like which will start to smell fifteen minutes after a run. The root cause might be that I often don't shower before a run but only afterwards, but the better stuff I have doesn't seem to smell nearly as readily after a run.
​​​​​​Some of the anti stink treatments work really well.
Old 12-07-21, 04:44 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
I commute every day in kit, hang the sweaty kit @ work, change into fresh work clothes and put the same kit back on at the end of the day. It's cheap commuting stuff, not the good kit.

I shower in the morning before my commute, apply antiperspirant after the shower in the morning (Nivea* atm) no extra deodorant during the day, I don't shower @ work but me and the kit only stink when I get home after 2 sweat cycles.

edit : * double checked it's Dove Men + Care.
edit 2: forgot to mention that all my kit is washed on the normal 'coloured' 40°C program, no extra steps, hanged to dry. Anything that stinks is usually sorted with vinegar.

Last edited by Schlafen; 12-07-21 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 08:51 AM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Putting any cycling kit in the dryer seems a good way to lock in the permastink. I can't imagine washing kit right after a ride, mainly for the sake of wasting water & energy for such a small load. This is coming from someone that rides 3 to 6 days a week typically.

What works for me is to hang dry clothes as soon as I take them off. Wash 'em when I have enough to justify a decent size load. Occasionally I'll add some distilled white vinegar to the water. I also add a splash of OdoBan every time I wash cycling kit.
Old 12-11-21, 03:30 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Putting any cycling kit in the dryer seems a good way to lock in the permastink. I can't imagine washing kit right after a ride, mainly for the sake of wasting water & energy for such a small load. This is coming from someone that rides 3 to 6 days a week typically.
Replaced the old clothes washer with a new one, recently. It's a G.E. "commercial" grade, with an "automatic" water level setting. It'll self-adjust for the load's size. So long as I put in a smaller amount of detergent along with the "anti-stink" (sanitizing) liquid for the rinse cycle, it comes out completely decontaminated. Yeah, it does mean running the laundry several times a week (even daily). Of course, it still goes through the cycle, so from a power standpoint it's still costing a little, but that doesn't cost but ~$30/yr or so. I figure that's better than having whatever little gremlins growing on the kit for a day or two until the next laundry day.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 12-15-21, 01:17 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Another vote for the synthetic materials. I had to wear compression socks to control swelling after I shattered the holy heck out of my tibia (12 screws and a plate). I never smelled anything as bad as those socks. Regular socks ...even my shoes and boots ....nothing. Those socks. Rank !!
Old 12-15-21, 02:22 PM
biglmbass

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Regarding socks... w' few exceptions I'm all in on SmarWool socks. Various thicknesses for cold or hot weather. They tend not to stink...
Old 12-16-21, 09:21 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
I can't compare organic vs synthetic because I have always just used synthetic materials, but I could technically use them 2-3 rides in a row without washing them before they start to smell bad. I sweat like a pig most of my rides, FYI. No pain = no gain.
Old 12-21-21, 06:42 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Used a brand New Jersey unwashed for a strenuous ride. I was surprised that it still had the stench at the end at the underarm areas - not as strong as my older jerseys used to have, but it was still there. So something about my BO and polyester tends to trap in the smell. Interestingly enough, my underarms themselves don’t smell as strong.

I was using no deodorant or antiperspirant, so I may change that next ride.
I'm not sure that there's much you can do about that. After a ride in the aerobic or lower zones, I sweat but I don't stink too much. After a ride with significant time spent in Z4 or Z5, I stink. Before I come up out of the basement after a hard ride, I wash my head in the sink and wipe down the rest of my body with a damp towel and dry myself in front of the fan before putting on clothes, that helps get me through a post-ride snack or helps to bridge to later day yard work or whatever may be on the agenda before I get in the shower.

Anti-perspirant and deodorant are for clubbing, not for riding. And showering BEFORE a ride is just stupid.
Old 12-23-21, 09:00 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
You will think I am nuts but when I wear wool shirts or jerseys the stink is almost non existant.
Old 12-24-21, 08:25 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Another trick to eliminate stink is to shave your underarms.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.