Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Varia radar modification for better situational awarenes = better SAFETY?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Garmin Varia radar modification for better situational awarenes = better SAFETY?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21, 11:50 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
This is great, thanks for sharing!

Like WhyFi, I use a Bluetooth earbud for turn-by-turn directions on my rides and would love to hear Varia alerts in my earbud!!

I just added the app and will pair it to my Varia to test on my afternoon ride.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Let me know if it works! Getting a new trainer has really made me a wuss, so I haven't ridden outside in weeks.
What version of the varia do you have? I think mine was the second version, I got it on sale. I'll double check but I don't think mine has Bluetooth, just ant+
Old 11-29-21, 12:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
What version of the varia do you have? I think mine was the second version, I got it on sale. I'll double check but I don't think mine has Bluetooth, just ant+
Damn - that's right. I, too, have a RTL510, which is ANT+; the 515 added BT. Oh well, so much for that.
Old 11-29-21, 12:51 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I hadn't thought of that ... I'm sure mine is ANT+ only, it's first gen Varia

Old 11-29-21, 10:38 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I've been using the Varia radars since they came out. Fantastic product.

I use it in combination with a mirror on my glasses. I normally scan just like one would in a car, but the Varia warning is when I look in my mirror to see if the car is going wide, and if not, then I'm planning an escape. At 60mph, 400 feet is 4-5 seconds to evaluate the situation and do something about it. That's a lot of time.

The only caveat with the Varia and where one has to be careful, is that radar is not an absolute indication of something behind you. It's an indication of something behind you that is going *faster* than you. If it's pacing you, it will drop off the display. If it's going slower than you, it will drop off the display. Bear that in mind, especially in urban traffic. It is measuring speed differences not distance per se - you don't want to find that out the hard way as you make a left turn in front of a pacing vehicle behind you.

Finally, since I typically listen to podcasts while riding, I also turn on the Varia app. That way I'm getting solid audio notifications since every bike computer on the planet has the most ridiculous cheap beepers known to man. The app is a big improvement and, that way, it also interleaves nicely with my podcasts audio. It only works with the two newer versions that support BTLE (RTL515 and RTR315).

All in all, it's a fantastic addition to safety while riding.
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 11-30-21, 06:11 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
We'll I guess it was still worth the $50 I saved over the Bluetooth version! I love data but I don't know how much I'd glean from it really.

Another somewhat disturbing quirk I've noticed is vehicles with radar detectors or jammers -- they'll get quite close before being detected.

I'll get false positives from what I'm guessing are radar equipped devices around buildings -- don't know if it's for security or automated door opening or general acknowledgement but it happens at the same spots near the numerous Ag operations I ride by.