Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Panniers vs Backpack?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Panniers vs Backpack?

Old 12-03-21, 07:31 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I weighed into this thread in 2017. That's when I was using a Timbuk2 backpack. It didn't last very long, but it wasn't expensive, either. My spouse gave me her Osprey backpack, as she wasn't using it. Wow. Now this is some serious equipment. It has a gap sort of thing to keep the pack away from my back. It touches me only on my shoulders and my hips. It's surprisingly heavy when empty, and that's because of the internal frame. The frame makes the weight sit on me so the total weight feels less than with other backpacks. It has a zillion pockets. After a couple of years of use, I just discovered more pockets. She got a women's model and it barely works for me. I'm not a large man, down to about 5'8" tall.

I've noticed that putting luggage on a heavy bike doesn't worsen the ride much but on a light bike, it makes it much worse. That's why a backpack makes sense for so many of us. It's also simpler than panniers. You can't really use panniers for anything but their intended use.
Which model? Radial with the kickstand? Now that feature is very useful for packing., pack stands up on its own. My Radial feels pretty light empty. Also has a rain cover built in and stowed in the bottom. They are very durable too,. Perfect commuter pack IMO.
Old 12-03-21, 07:45 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
That Commuter Panner looks nice and 150 bucks is really not much these days. At least that's cheaper than a nice purse. I personally used a back pack for years when commuting. There was no way I was going to put panners on my Liotto road bike. I found that keeping all the stuff in my pack low and at the bottom made it more comfortable. For me it had to be big enough for a pair of shoes and a light change of cloths. I would get to work early and do a spit bath at the sink then change. As long as I kept the packs load low and close to my waist it really did not effect my balance and proprioception.
Old 12-03-21, 07:50 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
@GeneO, I don't know which model, but it doesn't have a kickstand. That would be nice.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.