Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

American Classic wheelset?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-04-21, 02:40 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts

I asked this same question in the Long Distance forum but probably should have posted it here.

I have a set of American Classic wheels on one of my bikes that I do long distance rides on. I have the opportunity to pick up a set of Krsyium SL’s at a reasonable price but wondering if there’s much to gain?
I don’t know what model AC these are so posted a couple of pictures.

Old 12-04-21, 05:41 PM
hose
Miyata Mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts
Always need another set of wheels : ]
Old 12-05-21, 12:42 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Hard to tell exactly what model without more shots of the rim, especially any labels on the rim. Anyway, I had a custom set of wheels with those hubs and I liked them a lot. Older by today's standards, but free spinning and solid. I personally wouldn't want a set of Ksyriums in their place.
Old 12-05-21, 07:05 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 775 Times in 261 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Hard to tell exactly what model without more shots of the rim, especially any labels on the rim. Anyway, I had a custom set of wheels with those hubs and I liked them a lot. Older by today's standards, but free spinning and solid. I personally wouldn't want a set of Ksyriums in their place.
unfortunately all the decals were removed prior to me getting them. I guess for all I know the hoops are not even AC?
Old 12-05-21, 08:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
AC made some of the best wheels ever IMO, however, these are not their top spec model. If the point is to get a better wheelset, you need to decide what that means and compare features, stuff like internal width, tubeless compatibility, weight, rim height and spoke type. Maybe you want faster hub engagement or some future-proofing with axle type changeability? Or maybe you want more stiffness and need to look at flange height and width and bracing angles.

We don’t even know which Ksyriums you’re looking at specifically so what can really be said here? I think hose said it best upthread: it’s alwys good to have a second set of wheels. You can just get them then decide which pair you like best, or you can even mix and match…that’s kinda weird though.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-05-21, 09:19 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I guess for all I know the hoops are not even AC?
Correct. They sold those hubs by themselves as well as on the CR420 and Victory 30 (and probably others) wheel sets. Super light hubs, but someone just mentioned width and the models I just mentioned (and most rims offered at the time those hubs were new) are narrow by today’s standards.
Old 12-11-21, 08:47 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 373 Times in 225 Posts
I have the American Classic Victory 30 set. If you can believe the published specs, they are lighter than most carbon wheels and moderately aero. In the five years that I have had them, I have never had to true them even once. The hubs are not the prettiest, but bullet proof and have never been serviced in over 20k miles.

Sadly though, AC is out of business. Again.

Oh, and FWIW, when I built my bike I asked about Mavic wheels, but the LBS strongly urged me to get the AC instead. I am glad I did.
Likes For bblair:
Old 12-11-21, 12:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Originally Posted by bblair
I have the American Classic Victory 30 set. If you can believe the published specs, they are lighter than most carbon wheels and moderately aero. In the five years that I have had them, I have never had to true them even once. The hubs are not the prettiest, but bullet proof and have never been serviced in over 20k miles.

Sadly though, AC is out of business. Again.

Oh, and FWIW, when I built my bike I asked about Mavic wheels, but the LBS strongly urged me to get the AC instead. I am glad I did.
Yeah, I have a years-old Victory30 wheelset that has been perfect, too. I think AC published weight as 1547g the year I bought them, maybe back in ‘15, so I dunno that’d I’d say they’re lighter than most carbon fiber, but they are rather light for 30mm deep aluminum wheels and were 18mm internal width back when virtually nothing else was. I also have two pairs of their crazy Argent wheels, which are a shocking 1390g, 30mm, 19.4mm internal alu wheelset, but it was the 1285g Road Tubeless set which were the real lightweights!

Anyhoo, the brand name now belongs to one of their old project managers, and is a going concern offering some impressive value tires at the moment: https://www.amclassic.com
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-12-21, 09:08 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Originally Posted by chaadster
Yeah, I have a years-old Victory30 wheelset that has been perfect, too. I think AC published weight as 1547g the year I bought them, maybe back in ‘15, so I dunno that’d I’d say they’re lighter than most carbon fiber, but they are rather light for 30mm deep aluminum wheels and were 18mm internal width back when virtually nothing else was. I also have two pairs of their crazy Argent wheels, which are a shocking 1390g, 30mm, 19.4mm internal alu wheelset, but it was the 1285g Road Tubeless set which were the real lightweights!

Anyhoo, the brand name now belongs to one of their old project managers, and is a going concern offering some impressive value tires at the moment: https://www.amclassic.com
I just looked a set of Chris King Enve wheels going for $3000 and not even in stock. Published weight is 1583 g. They look cool as heck, but for $3k I can buy another bike. What am I missing here?
Old 12-12-21, 10:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

I just looked a set of Chris King Enve wheels going for $3000 and not even in stock. Published weight is 1583 g. They look cool as heck, but for $3k I can buy another bike. What am I missing here?
It's not clear if you're asking a serious question or making the point that the Victory30s were a good value, but in case it's the former, there are certainly more affordable CF wheel options which weigh less. Comparing apples-to-apples (meaning, rim brake, around 30mm deep), how does the in-stock availability-- and I don't even know why that's relevant since the AC wheels have been out of production for probably three years-- of Lun Hyper 38 rim brake from Winspace at 1267g and $1,200 change your assessment? Or what about a wheelset like the Dura Ace 9100 C40 rim brake at 1508g and $1.6k which are in-stock at CompetitiveCyclist? ProBikeKit have the 30mm deep, 1340g Racing Zero Carbon in-stock for $1,700, and the Vision SC30 are 1,330g and $1200. Point being, there are available, lower-weight and -priced alternatives to the $3k, 1580g King/Enve wheels.

That said, I'd not have preferred any of those to the ~$600 Victory30, but I think we're in agreement that AC really ruled the roost when it came to performance, quality, and value.
Old 12-12-21, 04:31 PM
bblair

Not trying to hijack this thread, so this is my last comment: Alloy rims can be as light as carbon. And while there are some real aero advantages to the carbon shapes, I don't think that the typical recreational ride with see any of those, at least not a significant amount. If you are racing, then sure, get whatever incremental gains you can. For me.....group rides at 15-18mph....probably not worth it.
Old 12-13-21, 08:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Not trying to hijack this thread, so this is my last comment: Alloy rims can be as light as carbon.
Maybe up to a point, defined by rim depth, which I’d put somewhere around 25mm - 28mm. I don’t know that there are many CF rims below that profile height—what would the point be of not maximizing the material’s advantages?— to compare to, but looking at the examples I gave above, it’s pretty clear that once you hit 30mm, CF rims really have a lower weight advantage.

Regardless of whether a rider thinks they’re getting aero benefits from a deep section rim, or whether the weight makes a difference to them, I’d think they want the deeper rims anyway for the improved wheel strength.

The only reasons not to go CF are costs and possibly looks, because low weight, strength, and aerodynamics are firmly advantages to carbon fiber.
Old 12-13-21, 09:51 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11321 Post(s)
Liked 4,635 Times in 2,701 Posts
I have a Micro 58 front and a 205 Rear hub that I believe I will build up this year. I have a ten year old set of the same, and they're on their second rim each. A lot of trouble free miles on them.
Old 12-13-21, 09:56 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I wish they had made some early changes to avoid their demise. I had a set of their Am Classic Argent Disc Tubeless wheels that were fantastic. Smoother and those hubs just rolled forever...easily bypassing the DT240s which I think roll well. The rims were light and maybe too light for tubeless tire changes but they were probably the best light alloy wheels I have ever seen.
Likes For Chandne: