Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

7 to 8 speed freewheel conversion

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-21, 11:55 AM
4evrplan

Bikes: cheapie Schwinn - ride what you got.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I've got a circa '08 Schwinn that originally came with a 7-speed freewheel. I can't remember what I broke, but I had the LBS replace the freewheel a few years back. They used an 8-speed part, because that's all they had on hand. Obviously, the gear spacing is the same, or close enough, to work with my 7-speed index shifter and derailleur (Shimano Tourney). Oh, it's coming back to me; the freewheel failed, and I had them replace the chain and crank/chainrings at the same time. Anyway, I was sitting here thinking about it, and it seems to me like all I'd have to do is replace the shifter and readjust the derailleur to fully convert it to 3x8. And, replace the brake lever, since it's integrated with the shifter. Seems like it'd be cheap and easy. Right? Am I missing something?
Old 12-03-21, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I wouldn't put money towards that bike, yes you probably could swap out the shifters and adjust your derailleur but in the end I wouldn't put much into that bike. Also this is not really a mountain bike question it would make most sense in Bicycle Mechanics subform,

The bike is probably worth the price of the new shifter, and new cables and housing as well as labor if not a little less depending on the condition of the rest of the bike. You are better served saving that money towards a nicer bike unless there is something broken on this bike and you refuse to get a new one which isn't a great idea.
Old 12-03-21, 09:04 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Are Tourney shifters separate from the brake levers? I'd go to your local bicycle coop (if you have one nearby) and look for some used thumbshifters. I agree it wouldn't be worth buying new shifters...
Old 12-07-21, 11:29 AM
4evrplan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@mtnbud, no they're not separate.

And, to make a more general address,

You guys out west and in big cities are lucky to have things like LBSs and bike coops, but in spite of all the open space here, there isn't much of an outdoor community unless you count seasonal hunting. But, I can get a brand new Shimano integrated shifter/brake lever online for $25.44, delivered. Let me worry about whether or not it's worth it; I just wanted to know if I had the technical aspects right.

If I sound frustrated, please know I appreciate both of you taking the time to answer and give your insights. It's just that every time I post here, I know it's going to be a battle. I'm on a tight budget and trying to find ways to participate in fun interesting activities with very little resources. I'm on a side of things that is a different world from a lot of people in the hobby, at least the demographic that usually posts on this forum. I'm genuinely very happy for folks that can justify spending big bucks on their toys, but some of the things said to posters here, from my perspective, feels like snobbery and elitism. If folks like me can ride inexpensive bikes and have a great time doing it, that doesn't take away from those that are spending more, doing more miles, riding harder and faster, are more steeped in the culture, etc. Congratulations, you should be doing those things and enjoying them to the fullest! But, if you somehow feel threatened by people with fewer resources doing whatever they can, if you feel like they are encroaching, that's your own insecurity talking. I hope this forum can become a more inviting, accepting place.
Likes For 4evrplan:
Old 12-07-21, 02:00 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

That's a pretty nice price. Are those for linear pull brakes?
Old 12-07-21, 02:20 PM
4evrplan

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
That's a pretty nice price. Are those for linear pull brakes?
Yes, that's correct.
Old 12-07-21, 05:47 PM
mtnbud

Originally Posted by 4evrplan
Yes, that's correct.
Go for it!
Old 12-08-21, 09:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by 4evrplan
@mtnbudYou guys out west and in big cities are lucky to have things like LBSs and bike coops, but in spite of all the open space here, there isn't much of an outdoor community unless you count seasonal hunting. But, I can get a brand new Shimano integrated shifter/brake lever online for $25.44, delivered. Let me worry about whether or not it's worth it; I just wanted to know if I had the technical aspects right.

If I sound frustrated, please know I appreciate both of you taking the time to answer and give your insights. It's just that every time I post here, I know it's going to be a battle. I'm on a tight budget and trying to find ways to participate in fun interesting activities with very little resources. I'm on a side of things that is a different world from a lot of people in the hobby, at least the demographic that usually posts on this forum. I'm genuinely very happy for folks that can justify spending big bucks on their toys, but some of the things said to posters here, from my perspective, feels like snobbery and elitism. If folks like me can ride inexpensive bikes and have a great time doing it, that doesn't take away from those that are spending more, doing more miles, riding harder and faster, are more steeped in the culture, etc. Congratulations, you should be doing those things and enjoying them to the fullest! But, if you somehow feel threatened by people with fewer resources doing whatever they can, if you feel like they are encroaching, that's your own insecurity talking. I hope this forum can become a more inviting, accepting place.
I think most of us understand what you are saying..But realize that you are on a forum of bike enthusiast that buy good equipment. Not department store bikes. Most people that engage in a hobby, any hobby, end up buying expensive quality made equipment.

Fly fishing is another hobby of mine. People are surprised when I tell them I have about $1000 wrapped up into one rod, reel and line set up.
Old 12-08-21, 11:15 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Yes you can do this. Personally If I was switching things out I would go to a non integrated solution. You can get indexed or friction thumb shifters for under 20 bucks, and brake levers that are department store quality or even a little better for about the same price.