Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cadence for large cyclists

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cadence for large cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-21, 11:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
As my knees have been feeling better (less painful) over the last season, I’ve found myself dropping cadence and upping torque, because I can generate pretty good watts at lower RPM and keep my HR lower, saving the top end headroom for when I need to haul my tremendous mass uphill. When my cadence is high, HR runs higher, too, so even at moderate power levels, I’ll fatigue faster doing 98rpm than I will at 88rpm.
Hmm. I'm exactly the opposite. Sure, at light efforts, under ~75% or so, I'll spin slowly. Otherwise, I find that there's a cumulative muscular fatigue that builds more quickly with higher torque/lower cadence and I find that there's only so much that can be drawn from that well. For shorter rides, this isn't terribly problematic, but longer rides can get pretty hurty. The same power at a higher cadence does drive my HR a little higher, but I find that's something that I can recover from more readily, so no big deal. I'll save high torque efforts, regardless of cadence, for when they're needed.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-08-21, 11:35 AM
mizer2167

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a newer cyclist, but 120 rpm seems impossibly fast to maintain for a group ride for any significant duration.

I'm a big guy and my "natural cadence" is somewhere in the 85 rpm range, which gives me about 80 average over a 3-4 hour ride when factoring in longer hills (standing = lower) and ~2 minutes of coasting to a stop at lights or intersections per hour. This is for solo efforts. Group rides are a challenge to maintain any set cadence, as it's a lot of surges and coasting/soft pedaling in my experience when you're not at the front.

I've been working on maintaining a higher cadence outdoors closer to 90 rpm average and do find that I am a bit fresher saving the legs more that way at the end. Also need a touch less fueling. Indoors, I find I cycle at higher cadences (more like 90 average) for some reason than outdoors and particularly for large wattage efforts do find it easier to put out more power for longer spinning up to 100 - 105 RPM.
Old 12-08-21, 11:42 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hmm. I'm exactly the opposite. Sure, at light efforts, under ~75% or so, I'll spin slowly. Otherwise, I find that there's a cumulative muscular fatigue that builds more quickly with higher torque/lower cadence and I find that there's only so much that can be drawn from that well. For shorter rides, this isn't terribly problematic, but longer rides can get pretty hurty. The same power at a higher cadence does drive my HR a little higher, but I find that's something that I can recover from more readily, so no big deal. I'll save high torque efforts, regardless of cadence, for when they're needed.
I was maintaing very low torque for awhile there due to my painfully swollen, arthritic knees, so without knowing what numbers we’re talking about here, I wouldn’t say it’s exactly opposite. I mean, yeah, you’re absolutely right that HR will recover faster than depleted legs, and that’s my experience as well, but I’m not talking about doing thigh-burning, 2hr rides here, but rather having the confidence that I can drop my cadence to 85rpm for a few minutes to aid HR recovery and still maintain Tempo level power, which is something I’d avoided doing for a long time simply because it hurt my knees. So, no, unless I misunderstood you, I think we’re on the same page that high torque/low cadence is fine for short periods, but doing the same power at higher cadence/lower torque is preferred despite the HR boost because yeah, I gotta save the legs/torque reserves to get up the hills in good enough time to stay in the mix.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 12-08-21, 12:49 PM
WhyFi

I was maintaing very low torque for awhile there due to my painfully swollen, arthritic knees, so without knowing what numbers we’re talking about here, I wouldn’t say it’s exactly opposite. I mean, yeah, you’re absolutely right that HR will recover faster than depleted legs, and that’s my experience as well, but I’m not talking about doing thigh-burning, 2hr rides here, but rather having the confidence that I can drop my cadence to 85rpm for a few minutes to aid HR recovery and still maintain Tempo level power, which is something I’d avoided doing for a long time simply because it hurt my knees. So, no, unless I misunderstood you, I think we’re on the same page that high torque/low cadence is fine for short periods, but doing the same power at higher cadence/lower torque is preferred despite the HR boost because yeah, I gotta save the legs/torque reserves to get up the hills in good enough time to stay in the mix.
Oh, okay - I thought that you were talking about maintaining that lower cadence as a matter of course or at least for extended periods.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-08-21, 02:12 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Riding my 42x18 single speed with the fast group increased my max comfortable cadence by like 25%. It sucked though I even injured my knee on the downhill once just by spinning.

edit: just did a 1 minute cadence drill and got 134 with a stopwatch. Not comfortable though

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 12-08-21 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-08-21, 03:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Another thought is that since you are on a single speed, lowering your cadence will lower your speed. Lower your speed and you'll drop off the back. Maybe they are trying a different approach to get you to stop crashing their rides.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 12-08-21, 05:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
This could be outdated or even incorrect information, but I read an article about 20 years ago that claimed that as wattage increases, so should cadence.
Old 12-08-21, 11:24 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
1. It's obvious that the OP does not normally spin 120.
2. Different ride parameters demand different cadences, i.e. cruising in the pack on the flat, pulling the line, climbing at various gradients, descending below your "too fast" speed, etc.
3. There's no right answer. I know local champions who normally use anything between 60 and 100 cadence on the flat.
4. Given #3, there's still no right answer. One can train to establish a different "freely chosen cadence." it's not that hard.
5. When going as hard as one can for say 20', it's easy to tell if one is using one's optimum cadence: If you're running out of legs, too slow. If you're running out of breath, too fast. But see #2.
6. Before posting something like this, know what you're talking about - buy a gadget with a cadence display and note your cadence under varying conditions, see #2..
Old 12-08-21, 11:36 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Riding my 42x18 single speed with the fast group increased my max comfortable cadence by like 25%. It sucked though I even injured my knee on the downhill once just by spinning.

edit: just did a 1 minute cadence drill and got 134 with a stopwatch. Not comfortable though
Originally Posted by Maelochs
"Everyone who sees how I ride and wants to help me ride better told me something, but I don't like it. Can you guys tell me something else?"
It's like you have a crystal ball this thread is the most classic type on this forum- completely indecipherable between bargain basement trolling and poorly thought-out question.

To the OP- the common sense in this may be elusive, but if you're spinning so fast you injured yourself, you're spinning too fast.
Likes For bahula03:
Old 12-09-21, 12:28 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
That's why you have a normal bike with gears. Getting a knee injury because you try to ride with a fast group with a undergeared single speed is... ill-advised. On a normal bike, the gearing adapts to your legs and not the other way around.
​​​​​
A bike computer with a cadence sensor would tell you what you are actually doing and when you correlate that to how you're feeling and how fast you are going, you can get information you can act on.

My cadence generally seems to be around 85-95 when going hard on the flat or 80-90 when going hard uphill, which is thoroughly conventional. When going easy it's lower.... but I'm not actually thinking about it - it just gets recorded. I'll just more or less subconsciously shift to an easier or harder gear. On some days I feel different and do the efforts at the same power in a different gear at a different cadence 🤷

Last edited by Branko D; 12-09-21 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-09-21, 01:56 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by bahula03
It's like you have a crystal ball this thread is the most classic type on this forum- completely indecipherable between bargain basement trolling and poorly thought-out question.

To the OP- the common sense in this may be elusive, but if you're spinning so fast you injured yourself, you're spinning too fast.
based on strava data I injured myself spinning at around 170-180 RPM which I was completely unfamiliar with.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 12-09-21, 02:28 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
I'm a masher. VERY slow cadence.

However, if one rides say 10 to 15 MPH, then cadence doesn't matter, and it is quite possible that slow cadence is more efficient.

As one increases the speed to say 25 to 30 MPH (or faster), then one eventually reaches a point where one can no longer produce adequate power at a slow cadence.

I.E. the max power one can sustain is somewhere around 100% of one's body weight as force on the pedals x the RPM (likely less than half the body weight per pedal). For short distances, one can increase power by standing up and pulling up on the handlebars, effectively increasing the downward force, but that is relatively inefficient. Pulling up on the opposite pedal helps some with both more force up as well as down on the cranks.

However, to keep increasing power, one needs to increase cadence... thus spinning.
Old 12-09-21, 03:29 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts

As someone who has done a fair bit of fixed gear riding I would say it isn't possible to keep up with a fast group ride on a 42 x 18.
Old 12-09-21, 05:10 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Here's a guy with big legs who seems to think working on increasing his cadence is a good idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5PcQJF5Jl0
the audio seams to be scrambled...
Old 12-09-21, 05:11 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Question for the bigger cyclists reading this thread who own a smart trainer: what cadence do you tend to maintain for most of your indoor riding?
all of it
Old 12-09-21, 05:47 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
based on strava data I injured myself spinning at around 170-180 RPM which I was completely unfamiliar with.
Strava data? How did strava know how fast you were spinning if you don't have a cadence meter (typically called a cadence sensor)?
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-09-21, 06:35 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
The whole "spin to win" thing doesn't work for me personally. I'm 165# and my rides typically come in at around 83 avg cadence. If I try to gear down and run a higher cadence I get exhausted more quickly. I don't have issues with injuries so I'll stick with my grinding ways.
Old 12-09-21, 06:42 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
42 x18 at 120 rpm is only 22 mph. Larry says this is a ride with Cat 1 racers. Something does not add up.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 12-09-21, 06:53 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
The whole "spin to win" thing doesn't work for me personally. I'm 165# and my rides typically come in at around 83 avg cadence. If I try to gear down and run a higher cadence I get exhausted more quickly. I don't have issues with injuries so I'll stick with my grinding ways.
I don't think anyone of sound mind would call 83rpm average for a ride to be "grinding". My last weekend ride solo 103km and 781m of climbing, average cadence was 76rpm @ 203W average. I don't have the perception that I was grinding - but some coasting lowers the average, etc, looking where the house I was going to, getting mildly lost in one place, this, that and the other... uninterrupted segments of road I was doing maybe 83 rpm @ 235W.

I don't think 83 rpm is particularly grindy, would be a bit low for me if I was really going all out or near it, but as an average over a ride it looks thoroughly normal.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 12-09-21, 06:54 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
As someone who has done a fair bit of fixed gear riding I would say it isn't possible to keep up with a fast group ride on a 42 x 18.
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
42 x18 at 120 rpm is only 22 mph. Larry says this is a ride with Cat 1 racers. Something does not add up.
Apparently Larry has underestimated either his cadence or the size of his big ring. Fingers and toes usually max out at 20.
Old 12-09-21, 07:23 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by CliffordK
However, if one rides say 10 to 15 MPH, then cadence doesn't matter....
It matters quite a bit if you're doing that 10-15mph uphill; it's not low speed that makes cadence less critical, it's low torque.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 12-09-21, 08:53 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

My workout last night made me think of this thread:

10min Warm Up

3x:
5min L4 Threshold (90-100rpm)
5min L2 Recovery (90-100rpm)

2x:
5min L4 Threshold (80-85rpm)
5min L3 Tempo (70-80rpm)

5min Cooldown

A little bit of everything in that ride, yet none of my favorite 85-90rpm range! Those high cadence segments really had me huffin’ and puffin’, but I was getting the HR drop during the recovery segments, so I was able to push through the final 20mins at a low L4 average, which was super-solid.

I’m kind of amazed that I can do low cadence at those power levels today, because two years ago my knee pain was making it so hard, if not impossible (I don’t recall). Being a year off work and off my feet so much really allowed the arthritis which has haunted me for 10 years to settle down, and for my cycling to return to decent form. This past season was my best in four years, and great fun! I guess that’s nothing to do with cadence…sorry.
Old 12-09-21, 09:47 AM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
i never was able to finish the ride on the ss and would have to spin much faster than 120 on the downhills. Was worthwhile training though imo, as a result I can do 120 without any bouncing but maybe it's less efficient. Probably a nice tool to have in the chest though

with a high cadence you can still sprint when your legs are dead at the end of a ride
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 12-09-21, 10:09 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Dead legs don’t sprint.
Old 12-09-21, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Dead legs don’t sprint.
They also don't wear plaid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.