Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

two wheel/tire questions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

two wheel/tire questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-21, 06:32 PM
dkatz1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
two wheel/tire questions

Was meaning to ask a question, but got one that's more important.
In 2007 I got a set of Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels. I already had a set on another bike. Not the tech monsters that I hear talk about hear, but I was very happy with them as: NO broken spokes, Ever.
Anyway, 12 years later, the wheels were getting shot: the rims were wearing out, metal really thinned out. I went to buy new wheels , and wound up with some Mavic wheels (now I can't say exactly what model) that seemed similar. But that came with a free set of tubless tires.
I rode on the tubeless for a year. For me: they were pain, more trouble than they were worth. Still having a stash of tubed tires (continetal Gran prix all season) i switched back to using tubes.
Didn't have a flat for over a year.
Until today. Oddly, on front tire (rarely get one of those).
Over the past 21 years I've chanbed tubes many, many times. There are people who do it faster than i do, but I get the job done.
But not today: I could NOT get the damn tire over the rim to be able to get the old tube out, let alone put in another (or patch it, if I wanted to do that which i didn't). I mean: it's just close to impossible.
I am told that wheels now are built for tubeless tires and disc brakes (which i don't have). I ended up having somebody come pick me up.
What the hell do I do? I want to be able to deal with a flat.
When I had tubeless tires, in short time I managed to destroy two of them (and note: with tubes: zero flats for the last 13 or so months). They are NOT 100% imune to troubel.
Why do they keep fixing things that aren't broke?

My other question is: I've always filled up my tires (which do 3 or 4 times a week) to the limit on written on the tire (in this case 120 psi). Recently, in some discussion here, people were talking about less air in the front tire.
Is there some reason I don't need the PSI in the front to be as high as in the back?
Old 08-30-21, 07:59 PM
pennstater

Bikes: Look 765 Gravel RS, Lynskey Cooper CX, Lynskey R260

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
On my wheelset there is a deeper channel in the center of the rim. I have to get edge of the tire to sit inside that channel opposite the valve stem and work my tire iron near the valve stem as I keep the opposite side in that channel.

This video does a decent job of showing the procedure:

Old 08-30-21, 08:14 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Some tires, particularly tubeless-ready, are nearly impossible to mount. I won't share my horror stories, you can just relive your own .....

I have a pair of very strong tire levers (which double as quick-link pliers) and I often carry more than three levers. Some tires loosen up over time.

As for tire pressure, lower pressure usually means more comfort until the tires start flopping or pinch-flatting ... and slightly softer tires actually run faster than super-hard tires (by margins so tiny only racers and fanatics even care.) But I generally run my front tire softer because 2/3 of my weight is on the rear tire, and the slightly softer tire does add a little bump absorption and possibly compliance on corners.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-30-21, 08:48 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Although I find no use for actual tubeless, my wife has two bikes set up tubeless and has done fine I've had bad luck which I assume relates to my weight since I have a hard time with the tires burping unless I ran pressures higher than I did with tubes. But tubeless has had the result of better standardization and all the modern rims I've dealt with have a channel down the center that, as mentioned above, you push the tire bead into and it makes the job easier. I have 6 tubeless wheelsets and I don't need a tire lever to change a tube, it's just been developing the technique of pushing the tire over and up and continuing around the wheel with that pattern till enough play shows up. Far easier than sticking a 90s vittoria tire on a 90s matrix rim, a combo that was so horrendous I'd pinch at least one tube every time I had to change one.

The whole alternate pressure in the front has some merit though I don't think it has a great basis, usual suggests is 3-5psi lower. This is due to the front spending most of the time with less weight on it so it deforms less on a mtb translating to less traction or being firmer than it needs to be transmits more road vibration or shock. But as others have pointed out, matching pressure means more reliable ride characteristics when out of the saddle sprinting on the road or when weight is more transitioned forward on downhills and when braking. Your bigger issue is that your tire pressure might be too high for general riding. 120psi can impart a rough ride, its the maximum pressure the tire can handle but not necessarily the best pressure for your ride. I put 100psi in my own tires and my wife who is only 130lb has her bike set to 85psi. For a race I'll bump them up a little to 105 and 90psi but more pressure doesn't equal faster if the resulting road vibration is tiring you out, unless its at the track then I might go to 120psi.
Old 08-30-21, 09:49 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
Was meaning to ask a question, but got one that's more important.
In 2007 I got a set of Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels. I already had a set on another bike. Not the tech monsters that I hear talk about hear, but I was very happy with them as: NO broken spokes, Ever.
Anyway, 12 years later, the wheels were getting shot: the rims were wearing out, metal really thinned out. I went to buy new wheels , and wound up with some Mavic wheels (now I can't say exactly what model) that seemed similar. But that came with a free set of tubless tires.
I rode on the tubeless for a year. For me: they were pain, more trouble than they were worth. Still having a stash of tubed tires (continetal Gran prix all season) i switched back to using tubes.
Didn't have a flat for over a year.
Until today. Oddly, on front tire (rarely get one of those).
Over the past 21 years I've chanbed tubes many, many times. There are people who do it faster than i do, but I get the job done.
But not today: I could NOT get the damn tire over the rim to be able to get the old tube out, let alone put in another (or patch it, if I wanted to do that which i didn't). I mean: it's just close to impossible.
I am told that wheels now are built for tubeless tires and disc brakes (which i don't have). I ended up having somebody come pick me up.
What the hell do I do? I want to be able to deal with a flat.
When I had tubeless tires, in short time I managed to destroy two of them (and note: with tubes: zero flats for the last 13 or so months). They are NOT 100% imune to troubel.
Why do they keep fixing things that aren't broke?

My other question is: I've always filled up my tires (which do 3 or 4 times a week) to the limit on written on the tire (in this case 120 psi). Recently, in some discussion here, people were talking about less air in the front tire.
Is there some reason I don't need the PSI in the front to be as high as in the back?
Weight distribution. Think about that for a couple seconds and you'll have your answer. Why would you inflate your tires to maximum allowed pressure? Would you think everyone should do that? A 110lb woman and a 200lb guy? Why on earth would they both use the same pressure?
Old 09-05-21, 10:11 AM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by pennstater
On my wheelset there is a deeper channel in the center of the rim. I have to get edge of the tire to sit inside that channel opposite the valve stem and work my tire iron near the valve stem as I keep the opposite side in that channel.

This video does a decent job of showing the procedure:

My wheels have that too, and I did that. In this particular wheel or combination of wheel and tire, it's still pretty much impossible. I've had those worked on at TWO bike stores. GOOD bike stores, where they do know what they're doing. And at both, they ended up having two people working and working on it before they managed to move the damn thing over the rim. I'm not sure what to do: I don't want to be riding around (especially now, as I'm getting back to commuting and can't afford to be late to teach classes) on a bike that I can't deal with a flat. Don't know if I should go tubeless and have better luck than I had in the past with those, or find some new wheels (except wheels don't seem to be built for tubes anymore) or what... At this point, I hate all things tubeless. I had tubes for 20 years, and yes, I'd get flats sometimes, but it wasn't a problem. And now, with this new, "better" technology it is. I have the same model wheels that I sued to have (but older) on my other bike. They're worn, but not worn out, maybe I will switch them.
Old 09-05-21, 10:14 AM
dkatz1

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Although I find no use for actual tubeless, my wife has two bikes set up tubeless and has done fine I've had bad luck which I assume relates to my weight since I have a hard time with the tires burping unless I ran pressures higher than I did with tubes. But tubeless has had the result of better standardization and all the modern rims I've dealt with have a channel down the center that, as mentioned above, you push the tire bead into and it makes the job easier. I have 6 tubeless wheelsets and I don't need a tire lever to change a tube, it's just been developing the technique of pushing the tire over and up and continuing around the wheel with that pattern till enough play shows up. Far easier than sticking a 90s vittoria tire on a 90s matrix rim, a combo that was so horrendous I'd pinch at least one tube every time I had to change one.

The whole alternate pressure in the front has some merit though I don't think it has a great basis, usual suggests is 3-5psi lower. This is due to the front spending most of the time with less weight on it so it deforms less on a mtb translating to less traction or being firmer than it needs to be transmits more road vibration or shock. But as others have pointed out, matching pressure means more reliable ride characteristics when out of the saddle sprinting on the road or when weight is more transitioned forward on downhills and when braking. Your bigger issue is that your tire pressure might be too high for general riding. 120psi can impart a rough ride, its the maximum pressure the tire can handle but not necessarily the best pressure for your ride. I put 100psi in my own tires and my wife who is only 130lb has her bike set to 85psi. For a race I'll bump them up a little to 105 and 90psi but more pressure doesn't equal faster if the resulting road vibration is tiring you out, unless its at the track then I might go to 120psi.
When I took up riding 20 years or so ago, everything I read about it said to pump ties up all the way. But now it appears, conventional wisdom says different, so I will go with that. Though I never had any complaints about the ride quality.
Old 09-05-21, 10:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
I used Ksyrum Elite clinchers for years. Like you I never broke a spoke and they never needing to be trued. Amazing but real. I did have some flats but I never had a problem changing out tubes. Three years ago I went to Ksyrium Elite USTs. No problem mounting tires or inflating with a regular floor pump. And, between my 2 road bikes and my GF's bike, zero flats in 3 years. I am totally sold on them. That's just my experience.
Old 09-05-21, 04:39 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
'why do they fix things that aren't broke?' My intention exactly. Bikes are way more complicated than they should be.
Use heavy duty tire levers- at least two. Watch videos.
If you are required to inflate 4x/week, sounds like something is wrong.
Just my opinion, but inflate front tire 10psi below max; rear close to max. My front tire is smaller than rear, but thats just me.
Old 09-05-21, 06:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Just my opinion, but inflate front tire 10psi below max; rear close to max. My front tire is smaller than rear, but thats just me.
Any particular reason?
I view my bike the same as the car, I prefer the best tires at the front and would put wider in the front of the bike over the rear if mismatched. Logic for me is that its always best if the front can do whatever it needs to vs. the rear. Rear of the car or bike can't handle what's happening it can suck bad, front doesn't make it things can be even worse.
Old 09-05-21, 09:05 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Mounting/unmounting tires: Some brands of tires are harder to get off certain brands of rims than other ones. Every time I buy a new tire I try to mount it as soon as I get home - if its too tough to mount at home, its going to be a nightmare on the road, so I take it back to the LBS and get a different brand of tire. I've found this problems really pops up when using tires a 28mm or smaller diameter. I'm exclusively using clincher tires and tubes, not tubeless.

Tire Pressures - personal preference, AFAIK. Some folks like a little lower pressure for better traction, comfort (poor mans shock absorber), or any number of other reasons. I keep mine pumped up near the pressure shown on the sidewall.