Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Carrying Cash on Tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Carrying Cash on Tour

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 09:47 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 271 Posts
Maybe start a new thread since this one is for another topic, but... I don't usually find filtering necessary on tour. When I do I have taken my Sawyer Mini.or before that my Sawyer Squeeze. Most of the time on road tours tap water has been available frequently enough. On the Southern Tier water was scarce, but surface water to filter was nonexistent in the places where I'd have liked to find it.

About the only tours where I found it useful were off road or in the sierras in really hot weather where it was nice to filter ice cold snow melt streams for a cold drink. Otherwise I leave it home.
I thought I was starting a new thread and tried to get rid of my post and my computer crashed.
Old 09-26-21, 01:59 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Good replies re average costs of stuff.
Re damage deposits, interestingly r enough I've never encountered this in my life. Maybe it's an American thing or larger urban area thing. When i biked from Montreal to Boston i stayed in small motels or some motel 6 type places in Vermont and NH but don't recall this at all, this was 7 years ago I think.

Last edited by djb; 09-26-21 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-26-21, 02:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Re damage deposits, interestingly r enough I've never encountered this in my life. Maybe it's an American thing or larger urban area thing. When i biked from Montreal to Boston i stayed in small motels or some motel 6 type places in Vermont and NH but don't recall this at all, this was 7 years ago I think.
There are more than a few people “down on their luck” living in hotels here these days. At the Red Roof I stayed at last Thursday, some of them were visibly intoxicated. One guy stumbled off to the shopping center to get something to eat. Not sure how he was able to stay upright.
Old 09-26-21, 05:35 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Re damage deposits, interestingly r enough I've never encountered this in my life. Maybe it's an American thing or larger urban area thing.
I find it to be fairly common, though not always disclosed.

In the US, I've found it doesn't happen at the small Mom & Pop motels, but in last few months I was in a Days Inn in Fort Stockton, TX; a Quality Inn in Chicago and a Quality Inn in Albuquerque. When I checked in, each of them placed a "hold" on the debit card. This is a pending request but not formally submitted to the credit card payment company. When I checked out, those holds were removed. On a room with a minibar, that hold would pay for that cost (none of these had this), and if there had been damage, it also would have been charged. I believe placing the hold is a pre-authorization of sorts to make sure any damages really could have been covered. It doesn't show up as an actual transaction - though with my debit card I can sometimes see them as pending.

I'm pretty sure if I had paid in cash at these three places, the deposit/hold wouldn't have been as transparent.

I'm not sure how much the technique is used outside the US, though when traveling on business in India, I'm pretty sure it was done with those hotels as well. I don't think it was done with lower end hotels I found on my own in India - many of which I paid in cash.
Old 09-26-21, 06:32 PM
djb

Thanks mev, in the last few years we've stayed a few times in mom and pop places, as well as the lower end chain type ones, maybe we just weren't aware of it taking place, as you described (using credit card to pay)
In the small motels paid in cash, there certainly wasn't any mention of it, but maybe being older folks who look pretty darn boring, they don't figure its an issue, especially as we show up tired and clearly wanting just to have a shower, eat and go to bed by 8 or 9.......
Old 09-26-21, 07:04 PM
indyfabz

In Jeffrey City, WY on ACA’s Trans Am route there was the noted JC Motel. Stayed there in 2000. It was basically a string of double wide trailers put together and paneled over. It only took cash. The place closed many years ago. Last report I read from a rider who stayed there mentioned mushrooms growing out of the carpet and trash in the basket in the first room he was given.
Old 09-26-21, 07:13 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by djb
In the small motels paid in cash, there certainly wasn't any mention of it, but maybe being older folks who look pretty darn boring, they don't figure its an issue, especially as we show up tired and clearly wanting just to have a shower, eat and go to bed by 8 or 9.......
In Wisdom, MT (Small town) the GF and I rode up to the Nez Perce Motel. There was a sign on the office door informing that the owners were out at a family function and would return that evening. Taped to the office door were envelopes with keys to each available room. The sign said to pick a room and settle up later, which we did. Paid cash. Nice people.
Old 09-27-21, 05:11 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In Wisdom, MT (Small town) the GF and I rode up to the Nez Perce Motel. There was a sign on the office door informing that the owners were out at a family function and would return that evening. Taped to the office door were envelopes with keys to each available room. The sign said to pick a room and settle up later, which we did. Paid cash. Nice people.
What if you only needed the room for an hour?
Old 09-27-21, 05:50 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by alan s
What if you only needed the room for an hour?
Then I would have been doing it wrong.
Old 09-27-21, 06:03 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
In Jeffrey City, WY on ACA’s Trans Am route there was the noted JC Motel. Stayed there in 2000. It was basically a string of double wide trailers put together and paneled over. It only took cash. The place closed many years ago. Last report I read from a rider who stayed there mentioned mushrooms growing out of the carpet and trash in the basket in the first room he was given.
I stayed in the same motel when I visited in September 2016. It wasn't fancy, but was fine for my needs, particularly getting out of a strong wind that sprung up overnight.

Before my visit, I had read up about the community. In 2012, the pottery place had earned the June Curry award - https://www.adventurecycling.org/res...award-winners/ for helping out after the motel closed.

Also helping out was the Jeffrey City Community Church

I didn't go all the way out to the church, but did see this sign along the road

Otherwise spent some of the afternoon at the Split Rock Bar and Cafe

Overall a friendly community and for me the re-opened motel was fine.
Old 09-27-21, 08:13 PM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
The JC Motel sign was its most attractive feature!

Cash only!
Likes For BobG:
Old 09-28-21, 05:09 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BobG
The JC Motel sign was its most attractive feature!

Cash only!
Yep. When I called from Lander to ask about availability a woman answered with simply a “Hello.” I had to ask if I had reached the correct number.
Old 09-28-21, 05:36 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mev

Overall a friendly community and for me the re-opened motel was fine.
Interesting history behind the town. It was incorporated in the 50s and served as a base for uranium miners. When I was there in ‘00 you could still see the army barracks-like housing where some miners lived. The town started to go down hill when the uranium market crashed in the early 80s.

I spent time in that bar talking to a one-legged woman whose husband had worked in the industry. She said they moved there because people were promised jobs for life. At one point a man wearing dirty coveralls stumbled in drunk, bought more beer then stumbled out and got back in his truck.

The wind there can definitely be brutal. While walking from the motel to get lunch I felt like I was leaning at a 45 degree angle to keep from getting blown over. A local told me it wasn’t even that strong that day.

As for the church, several years ago someone from the church posted on ACA’s forum announcing it would no longer host people. The woman declined to say exactly what happened, but some cyclists committed some serious rules violations one night. It was really sad. She basically wrote “We had only a few simple rules, but those people couldn’t follow them.” It may be that the place has since started hosting again because I seem to remember reading a post from someone who stayed there after the incident. Or maybe a different church started hosting.

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-28-21 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-28-21, 05:58 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Our 2009 trip blogger, Bill Maxwell, descibes our stay at the JC with a touch of his British humor ...

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...id=116215&v=9M

I actually had a room with working AC!
Likes For BobG:
Old 09-28-21, 10:13 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
When we ate at the restaurant twe were waited on by a girl who was maybe 9. She seemed to be in charge of that side of the place. I am sure the staff on the bar side must have been older.

We camped across the street in the old Lions Club pavillion. Not sure if the Motel was open or not.
Old 09-28-21, 11:29 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by staehpj1
We camped across the street in the old Lions Club pavillion.
I went over there from the motel to cook dinner. Too many skeeters there for my liking. But I did get some good intel from a trio of Dutch tourists heading west. They told me the KOA in Rawlins was not great. Very little (if any shade) and right next to I-80. Went to check it out myself. They were correct:

Rawlins KOA Journey - Google Maps
Old 09-28-21, 11:59 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
I went over there from the motel to cook dinner. Too many skeeters there for my liking. But I did get some good intel from a trio of Dutch tourists heading west. They told me the KOA in Rawlins was not great. Very little (if any shade) and right next to I-80. Went to check it out myself. They were correct:

i thought the Rawlins KOA was okay. Cheaper rate for cyclists.
Windy as all heck and yes next to the Interstate, but that comes with the territory.
We were on the Divide and if we had known a little more, we could have easily skipped Rawlins for camping, stopping only to shop.
Old 09-28-21, 02:37 PM
staehpj1

We camped at an RV oriented kind of campground in Rawlins and were pretty happy with it. They had a tent area, laundry facilities, and nice showers. I probably wouldn't have noticed if there was traffic noise. To make matters even better a gang of welders working on a pipeline nearby invited us to their site for food and drinks. One of their crew was a great cook. I don't recall if there was much shade because we weren't there for much of the afternoon or evening daylight. I think by the time camp was pitched and we were showered we were using headlamps. We were still not making great time after Lauren injured her knee in a crash near Dubois.

I don't think it was the KOA though, looking at the map I am guessing it was Western Hills Campground. I remember it as pretty nice for an RV type place.
Old 09-28-21, 02:54 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I've only toured inside Canada, and only in the past few years, and almost everywhere is set up to take debit cards. There is a rare occasion that a small roadside stand or newly opened small shop only takes cash, but more and more of these are going to some sort of mobile connected card machine. I get the impression that a lot of vendors prefer debit cards (not credit cards as there are often high fees for vendors) over cash as it makes bookkeeping easier.
Old 09-28-21, 03:40 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
I've only toured inside Canada, and only in the past few years, and almost everywhere is set up to take debit cards. There is a rare occasion that a small roadside stand or newly opened small shop only takes cash, but more and more of these are going to some sort of mobile connected card machine. I get the impression that a lot of vendors prefer debit cards (not credit cards as there are often high fees for vendors) over cash as it makes bookkeeping easier.
In Nova Scotia two years ago someone at a bakery looked at my credit card and handed it back to me, said they would only take cash. I did not ask about debit cards, I had a few hundred (CAD) so I paid cash without any discussion or argument. A small independent campground in PEI would only take cash, no plastic. I think businesses that are part of a national chain are more likely to take anything, but small independent operations are more likely to refuse credit cards.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 09-28-21, 05:28 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Since the pandemic started there are some places that wont take cash only debit or cc. Unless they are Montreal style bagel places, who only take cash.
Because they are owned by the mob according to my McGill graduate niece.
(Montrealers feel free to chime in)
Old 09-28-21, 05:56 PM
djb

Originally Posted by skookum
Since the pandemic started there are some places that wont take cash only debit or cc. Unless they are Montreal style bagel places, who only take cash.
Because they are owned by the mob according to my McGill graduate niece.
(Montrealers feel free to chime in)
chuckle. weird one that.
certainly in my experience, small places prefer cash for not having a fee involved, although as said, because of covid, everyone and their uncle has been doing cashless purchases, better that than dealing with touching stuff in the first year, 2020, although its less of an issue now because the vast majority of us here in Quebec are vaccinated, unlike out west where you guys are (and the ICU situation is pretty tough, especially if you know anyone who is a nurse, or waiting on delayed surgeries, although so many people who arent vaccinated just don't think of this stuff--until it affects them directly, then its all tears.....)

sorry, but yes, one can buy bagels using plastic. Got off tangent.
Old 09-28-21, 06:10 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
OP here. The tour will take place three years from now and figured 3 large will accommodate inflation. Campgrounds are silly expensive in my area at $40 bucks a night for tenting. I do not plan to use a motel, but one never knows when on tour. Figure food will be at least 25 bucks a day with inflation. Suppose I could plan less daily costs. Will play with it.
Old 09-28-21, 06:16 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
but small independent operations are more likely to refuse credit cards.
Probably because of the swipe fee and any cost associated with the equipment needed. Many others have a minimum purchase amount to use a card. It’s usually $10 in my neck of the woods.
Old 09-28-21, 06:30 PM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
OP here. The tour will take place three years from now and figured 3 large will accommodate inflation. Campgrounds are silly expensive in my area at $40 bucks a night for tenting. I do not plan to use a motel, but one never knows when on tour. Figure food will be at least 25 bucks a day with inflation. Suppose I could plan less daily costs. Will play with it.
Not sure what your planned route or camping preferences are, but on a route like the Trans America, Southern Tier, or Northern Tier camping can be free much of the way especially in the middle of the country. I spent very little on camping on either the TA or the ST, but did splurge on a room a few times on the ST. Food can run a good bit more than or less than your estimate depending on your choices. So basically your $3K number could be close or way off. I'd probably make sure to have that much available and spend maybe 1/3 of it myself. If I felt like splurging more I might spend half of it. I'd never carry it all in cash though. Heck in my normal life I seldom ever use cash these days. I'd carry some on tour though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.