Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Saddle? Pants? Sweat? What is it

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 03:30 PM
fixietogravel

Bikes: 2014 Fuji track classic, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone, I just joined this forum, and of course I must bring you my grossest, most personal problem. I recently started commuting to work 5 mi each way (8 km) on my gravel bike. I swapped my Selle Italia Diva saddle for a Brooks C17 with the cut out and I have no complaints except for a series of recurring saddle sores I keep getting on my left side but not my right. I barely notice chafing or friction while I'm in the saddle but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. I feel like this might be a sweat problem because I can't really change fully once I get to work. I don't think it's a good move to be wearing a chamois to work and hanging it out to dry in my cubicle. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I'd rather not buy another saddle if there's an easy fix.
Old 09-30-21, 03:36 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
Non-cotton underwear.

If that doesn't work, rotate your saddle slightly (left or right, try them both).
Old 09-30-21, 03:44 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
LOL, I commute and hang my chamois/bibs to dry in my cubicle, and have done that for the past 8 years, at multiple jobs. I always shower before the commute, and I always use fresh chamois/bibs, so no complaints of odors. YCMMV (your cubicle mates may vary).
Likes For Riveting:
Old 09-30-21, 04:56 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3658 Post(s)
Liked 5,404 Times in 2,744 Posts
First you need to let the thing get completely healed. Choose from the hints above and maybe try something like Chamois Butter or Body Glide. My favorite is Gold Bond Friction Defense which is similar to Body Glide but more readily available (Walmart, etc.) Baby wipes after the ride. If you can go commando for awhile after, even better. It's most likely a heat and sweat problem, the distance isn't enough for the saddle to be an issue.
Old 09-30-21, 05:10 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I used to wear a fresh pair of shorts for the ride home.
Old 09-30-21, 08:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by fixietogravel
Hey everyone, I just joined this forum, and of course I must bring you my grossest, most personal problem. I recently started commuting to work 5 mi each way (8 km) on my gravel bike. I swapped my Selle Italia Diva saddle for a Brooks C17 with the cut out and I have no complaints except for a series of recurring saddle sores I keep getting on my left side but not my right. I barely notice chafing or friction while I'm in the saddle but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. I feel like this might be a sweat problem because I can't really change fully once I get to work. I don't think it's a good move to be wearing a chamois to work and hanging it out to dry in my cubicle. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions? I'd rather not buy another saddle if there's an easy fix.
One possibility is that your saddle is a bit too high and that's why it chafes. You could try lowering it by a millimeter or two and see what happens.

If you can't shower at work, you could pack some alcohol wipes and clean the area in the bathroom once you get to work and change into some clean underwear for the day. Obviously, draping your bike shorts over a cube wall won't fly, but perhaps you could get a spare chair and hang the shorts over one of the rungs under the seat. That's what I do to air out my shorts during the day. Unless someone needed to come into my cube and pull out the spare chair (which hardly ever happened before the pandemic), no one would know they're down there.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-30-21 at 08:59 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-30-21, 09:43 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
While I cannot speculate as to the reason for your discomfort, I can give some tips that have helped me.
I tried using some chamois padded shorts years ago, and found that I was getting more saddle sores as a result. I believe that the cause in my case was sweat related. I sweat, a lot - super salty sweat. The padded shorts were soaking up s lot of this and holding it next to my skin at the saddle contact points. All of this salty fluid was rubbing me raw and resulting in some nasty sores.
I have since ditched padded shorts altogether and do the majority of my riding in an 8-panel unpadded short designed for recumbent riding, made by Aerotech. I also use unpadded saddles, both Brooks Pro and Cambium models. All of this helps to keep my bottom out of a sweaty pool.
I am mostly free of saddle sores, but will find one creeping up every once and a while. If this happens, I have not found that limiting my time in the saddle helps them to heal any more quickly. I will still ride every day as usual, and if I keep the area clean, it will heal up fine. I do take a change of clothes to work every day, use wet wipes to clean up and remove sweat residue before changing at work, and will rinse and dry my riding shorts before the change to ride home after.
After much experimentation early on, I found that the treatment that helped most with sores was cleaning the area with rubbing alcohol, applying hydrocortisone cream, followed by a thin layer of bag balm. Do this before bedtime, and after changing into your work clothes. Remove any balm residue with rubbing alcohol before riding.
Hope this helps out a bit.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 10-01-21, 07:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Can't change at work? Does your workplace not have handicap stalls in the restrooms with a door?

And while I dry my shorts inside out at home, at work I just hang them right-side out on a jacket hook in my cube. I occasionally get comments on my jersey, but only other cyclists mention my shorts hanging up.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-04-21, 11:37 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I always would hang my cycling clothes in my cube and never heard complaints, but some others at my work would just hang their clothes on their locked up bikes outside.
I agree with others that your issue is likely more of a moisture issue, finding a restroom stall to wipe down and change your shorts is probably going to help.

Also, in the event you get a good rash/chaffe, Desitin (diaper rash ointment) is amazing stuff!
Old 10-16-21, 11:18 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
One possibility is that your saddle is a bit too high and that's why it chafes. You could try lowering it by a millimeter or two and see what happens.

I agree. Saddlesores are usually caused by a seat that is too high. Not always but usually. Given the fact the OP is getting them on one side, it further confirms that idea.
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-16-21, 09:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
I agree. Saddlesores are usually caused by a seat that is too high. Not always but usually. Given the fact the OP is getting them on one side, it further confirms that idea.
Since you remind me that it was one side specifically -- OP could also try adjusting the saddle straightness. Counterintuitively, pointing the nose of the saddle toward the side that chafes could reduce the contact between the inner thigh and the saddle.

Here again, try very small changes at a time. (Maybe the saddle wasn't straight to begin with, and that was the source of the problem all along.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-16-21, 10:15 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Liked 1,626 Times in 1,044 Posts
If you get real deep purple looking saddle sores resembling cystic acne you need a prescription. I have seen chronic saddle sores from hell in my practice and they can be a booger to get rid of. Often I have had to prescribe long term low dose antibiotics or in some cases anti-fungal medications. In some cases saddle sores may not have anything to do with hygiene but it would not hurt to have a clean set of gear on each leg of your commute and maybe some butt butter...
Old 10-19-21, 12:39 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Like someone said you gotta let it heal first.

Exofgicio underwear worked really well for me for outdoors stuff, eventually I just made it the default for everything. It's not cheap, but it lasts forever, and is really comfortable in every way including not getting sweaty:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001M0MN0M

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-23-21 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-19-21, 01:42 AM
Awkward Caveman
Banned

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brief-lined running shorts for max breathability.
Old 11-01-21, 10:16 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by fixietogravel

Been cycle commuting since 1987 in Chicago. Once I had my rig together by trial and error I came to a realization. Never commute in your work clothes or work in your commuting clothes. There are tons of axioms and hacks about gear, maintenance, etc. I've learned over the years, but basing my commuting approach on the statement re clothing was the break through. Also, Gold Bond powder is your friend. 👌

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 11-14-21 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 11-10-21, 02:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
can you at least just change your underwear at work? meaning maybe cycling shorts under your work pants, then at work swap in regular underwear, then for the ride home a fresh pair of cycling shorts. mine dry over night, so I can wash & use them every day. I know they can be expensive tho. I like Zoot brand tri-shorts. they provide some "moisture management" with a thin liner. when I've had "saddles sores" I've found soaking in hot baths to be helpful
Old 11-16-21, 01:30 AM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 691 Times in 328 Posts
I second the comments above regarding your saddle likely being too high. Sores on one side just might indicate you have a slight tilt in your pelvis, or one leg is slightly shorter that the other. Either way, lowering the saddle is the best way out. Can use chamois butt'r or other product to help.

Regarding clothing:
  1. bike to work wearing chamois shorts and and quick-dry shirt
  2. change to work clothes in bathroom stall
  3. thoroughly rinse shorts and shirt over sink, squeezing out all water as much as you can (want to take out as much sweat as possible, before it dries)
  4. hang to dry in cube, on a plastic hanger: place shorts inside shirt for less visual attention
  5. keep a small usb-powered fan at work, and place it under the shirt opening, pointing up, and making sure all air runs up the clothing and out the neckline (basically drape the waist opening completely around the fan)
  6. clothes will be dry by day's end, guaranteed