Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

12 Volt System Upgrade

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

12 Volt System Upgrade

Old 10-31-21, 09:19 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
What about tricycles, unicycles, quadricycles, pedal powered aircraft and boats and the multitudes of other human powered vehicles that are not bicycles? Why do you feel the need to change something just because you put some lawn signs and motorcycle headlights on a cheap old Fuji? I am baffled. I see no issue with calling a bicycle a bicycle, just like I call a door a door. I don't need to call it a "carbon based portal separation device" or something goofy like that.

No need to genericize everything and turn it into this sterile language all the time. A bicycle is a bicycle because it is a cycle with two wheels, there is no need to change that and I can assure you making it more generic won't help. You turn into Ms. Swan from MadTV "he looka like a man"
To make people think. Human Powered Vehicle is actually the scientific term for bicycle, and all those others.
Im going to record a rap music song, where I say ‘bicycle’ 98 times, but everyone who doesn’t ride a bicycle will have to say Human Powered Vehicle.
It’s a matter of respect
Old 11-01-21, 12:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
To make people think. Human Powered Vehicle is actually the scientific term for bicycle, and all those others.
Im going to record a rap music song, where I say ‘bicycle’ 98 times, but everyone who doesn’t ride a bicycle will have to say Human Powered Vehicle.
It’s a matter of respect
I am sure most every scientist on the planet when describing a bicycle will probably call it a bicycle in order to properly name it as a bicycle. Like I said in the previous post what about Human Powered Vehicles that aren't BICYCLES?

How is calling a bicycle a bicycle disrespectful? Should we start calling apples, "food based orbs" specifically to refer to apples and not onions or oranges or grapefruits or some other type of round food out of some sort of "respect". Where does the madness end

A new glossary of terms:
Tires = Ground Interactive Rubber Circles
Handlebars = Handheld Steering Pipes for Human Powered Vehicles
Unicycle = Not sure? Would be disrepectful to bicycles (read Human Powered Vehicles) to call them Human Powered Vehicles because of science.

In terms of rap or some sort of spoken word/poetry here is a little ditty I wrote up in about a minute:

Hey there dude a bike is a bike
If you can't agree just take a hike
I am spitting mild fire just to fan the flames
but if I can be real now it is all just games
I am making a laugh a joke if you will
I'm not causing trouble or being a pill
But you should really know that a bike is a bike
If you enjoyed this rap give it a like
If you didn't I hope you got the message
A bike is a bike no need for transgression
Old 11-06-21, 11:05 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

LiFePO4 battery charger to the right of the lead/acid charger. Also a USB charger and 52 volt lawnmower charger on this wall.

Bicycle Voltmeter reads 13.0 with LiFePO4 battery

New headlights have “angel eyes”

Stopped at a fried chicken joint in Jamaica Queens

Underside of cargo platform has wiring for LED lights

Today is the last day of daylight savings time, so I hope you’re all taking this bicycle lighting system seriously.
I’ve ordered a third set of these LED motorcycle headlights so I have spares. I have no confidence in the manufacturer to continue production of an identical or even a compatible model, and even then I don’t trust the supply chain.
Old 12-22-21, 03:46 PM
hotbike

Took these photos last night. Top photo is the left side of the bike, bottom photo shows riders view of headlights, they include red laser arrows. The amber markers can be seen left and right.
Old 12-23-21, 04:02 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
i nominate this thread for the "strangest thread of 2021" award.

there was a guy in the 80's who road around the country in a recumbent, had solar panels to keep his laptop going so he could journal his ride. he was in Bycyling Magazine IIRC.

be sure to fuse that battery lest you want to do arc welding with that 96 watt hours.
Old 12-23-21, 04:09 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by cjenrick
i nominate this thread for the "strangest thread of 2021" award.

there was a guy in the 80's who road around the country in a recumbent, had solar panels to keep his laptop going so he could journal his ride. he was in Bycyling Magazine IIRC.

be sure to fuse that battery lest you want to do arc welding with that 96 watt hours.
Yes! That guy is Steven K. Roberts, we’re friends on Facebook now.

Steven K. Roberts and the Behemoth recumbent bicycle

He had a computer on his recumbent bike, which was a rarity in those days. Most of the stuff on his bike are on your phone today.
Old 12-27-21, 04:46 PM
hotbike

Dashboard Layout for smooth cruising

Tired of fishing around for the iPhone, so I acquired two new phone holders from the Amazon people. I won’t have to stop to read the map from now on.

Decluttered view

Also, this fairing has bottle holders and an air horn.

Last edited by hotbike; 12-27-21 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-28-21, 01:33 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike

Dashboard Layout for smooth cruising

Tired of fishing around for the iPhone, so I acquired two new phone holders from the Amazon people. I won’t have to stop to read the map from now on.

Decluttered view
Also, this fairing has bottle holders and an air horn.

Are there hardpoints in place for the eventual addition of a turbo encabulator?

Old 12-28-21, 01:41 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by kaos joe
Are there hardpoints in place for the eventual addition of a turbo encabulator?

https://youtu.be/2fjcJp_Nwvk
No, probably a hub motor.

”.
Old 01-28-22, 02:44 PM
hotbike

Old 01-30-22, 02:19 AM
hotbike

Was busy in my basement shop during the blizzard.

I am of the opinion that motorists don’t understand hand signals, so I came up with this.
Old 01-30-22, 04:45 PM
hotbike

GIF Animation of LED directional indicators

On this build, the battery, blinker module, and switches , are in the Pannier/Tailbox. Most people have their own headlights, and aren’t interested in buying a fairing. Fairings are also incredibly difficult to fit to a bike, whereas the Tailbox plops right down on any rear rack (zip ties to secure it).