Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flip the chain wheel so that it sits on the inside of the crank arm bolts

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-20-21, 05:44 AM
b1983

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi,

I wondering if someone can explain what something means.

The backstory is I bought a fixed gear bike about 6 months ago and recently looked at the reviews for it from the site it was bought.

One of the reviewers said the below should be done to the stock bike...

"Flip the chain wheel so that it sits on the inside of the crank arm bolts (on the stock bike, it is opposite, so the chain is warped and under unnecessary torque). When you flip it, the chain will sit perfectly straight."

Can any explain way the reviewer means by this? Maybe explain it in different words

Cheers
Likes For b1983:
Old 11-20-21, 05:57 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Here ya go: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-20-21, 06:09 AM
b1983

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks but I think there are too many gaps in my knowledge to understand the information from that link.

What I hoping someone can tell me is something like you need to use tool 'x' to remove part 'y' then do 'xyz'

Once I get a bit hands on I think the sheldon brown info would make sense
Old 11-20-21, 06:54 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
Probably dozens of videos on You Tube that will help, search:

How to Replace a Chainring

Likes For easyupbug:
Old 11-20-21, 06:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by b1983
What I hoping someone can tell me is something like you need to use tool 'x' to remove part 'y' then do 'xyz'
It would help if we could actually see what you're dealing with.

I think what you're asking is how to optimize the chainline when using a road-type double crank for a single front ring. It is often enough to mount whatever ring you intend to use on the inner plateau of the crank arm rather than the outer plateau.

First, does your crank actually have a removable outer ring? Some low-end cranks have the outer ring permanently swaged onto the arm. If that's the case, game over. Run the chain on the inner ring and ignore the outer ring and live with what you have, or buy a different crank.

If the ring is removable, you'll need tools to fit the mounting bolts. Usually a 5mm Allen key for the front of the bolt and a special spanner to hold the back.

Remove the mounting bolts, then remove the rings from the crank arm. Mount the ring you intend to use on the inner plateau and secure with mounting bolts. You may need to use shorter mounting bolts or spacers.
Old 11-20-21, 07:33 AM
b1983

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would need to find a video showing someone 'Installing a chain wheel so it sits on the inside of the crank arm bolts' as opposed to my current setup which guess is a chain wheel on the outside of the crank arm bolts

Last edited by b1983; 11-20-21 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-20-21, 07:34 AM
b1983

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have that tool and will post some pics once I have 10 posts
Old 11-20-21, 07:35 AM
b1983

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here are some pics

I still don't know what 'Flip the chain wheel so that it sits on the inside of the crank arm bolts' means though. Maybe I need to take it apart to find out..
Old 11-20-21, 07:46 AM
Jonneh

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Here are some pics

I still don't know what 'Flip the chain wheel so that it sits on the inside of the crank arm bolts' means though. Maybe I need to take it apart to find out..
​​​​​​Undo the bolts using your tool and a 5 mm allen key, remove the ring, thread it back over the spider (fiver-armed thing) such that the indentations around the five holes sit on the inside (towards the frame), put the bolts back in the original orientation.
Likes For Jonneh:
Old 11-20-21, 08:14 AM
b1983

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonneh
​​​​​​Undo the bolts using your tool and a 5 mm allen key, remove the ring, thread it back over the spider (fiver-armed thing) such that the indentations around the five holes sit on the inside (towards the frame), put the bolts back in the original orientation.
Thank you Jonneh,

I just gave it a go but could not get the bolts loose.. However I now totally understand what I'm trying to do.

I will try again
Likes For b1983:
Old 11-20-21, 08:14 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
What all the above are trying to explain is that the holes on the chainring, and on the crank spider are drilled so that the chainring nut and bolt are seated. You’ll need to flip the chainring over…so that the side that would normally be facing away from the bike is now in the inside, where the small chainring normally goes, but facing against the frame…so that the seat holes are facing the nuts/bolts properly.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 11-20-21, 09:43 AM
jasoninohio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 23 Posts
It's a shame it's not setup properly stock, because it doesn't look as nice with the chainring on the inside, but it also looks like he can't go any narrower with the bottom bracket... Oh well, happy riding!
Old 11-20-21, 10:02 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,495 Times in 3,342 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoninohio
it also looks like he can't go any narrower with the bottom bracket... Oh well, happy riding!
Good point.

If the current chainring comes within 1mm to 3mm or so of the chainstay, you can't move it in any further. Ignore all the above.

It is possible to dimple the chainstay for more clearance without harming structural integrity, but that is another project.

If the chainline is a problem, I'd look back at the rearend.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 11-20-21, 11:00 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,691 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
If the current chainring comes within 1mm to 3mm or so of the chainstay, you can't move it in any further. Ignore all the above.
Good point. What cannot be seen from the photos the OP sent is how close the chainring is to the chainstay. If the gap is too small, installing the chainring on the inside of the crank spider will result in the chainring rubbing the frame, not a good result
Old 11-20-21, 11:26 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,495 Times in 3,342 Posts
Another tradeoff is chainring size and rear sprocket size.

So if your current chainring is too close to the chainstay, you could get a smaller chainring, and move the sprocket in closer by either choosing a narrower bottom bracket, or moving the chainring to the inside of the crank spider.

If you can adjust both the chainring size and rear sprocket size, you may not impact gearing very much.
Old 11-20-21, 11:26 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Hi,

The backstory is I bought a fixed gear bike about 6 months ago and recently looked at the reviews for it from the site it was bought.

"Flip the chain wheel so that it sits on the inside of the crank arm bolts (on the stock bike…

Cheers
If the “new” bike is a fixed gear, the first thing to do is to eyeball the chain to the rear hub to see if it is perpendicular. If it is close, just ride it.

Can the rear cog be moved in or out to improve the chainline?

If you can add/remove a spacer, that is the way to go.

Sorry, but I don’t have any experience with a fixie.

John
Old 11-20-21, 04:51 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1016 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by jasoninohio
It's a shame it's not setup properly stock, because it doesn't look as nice with the chainring on the inside, but it also looks like he can't go any narrower with the bottom bracket... Oh well, happy riding!
My thoughts too. But…wondering if the freewheel/cassette (or whatever he has back there) could accept a spacer so that the gear is just far enough to the RIGHT to accomplish alignment and thereby allow him to keep the chainring on the outside.

Dan
Old 11-20-21, 05:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
If the “new” bike is a fixed gear, the first thing to do is to eyeball the chain to the rear hub to see if it is perpendicular. If it is close, just ride it.

Can the rear cog be moved in or out to improve the chainline?

If you can add/remove a spacer, that is the way to go.

Sorry, but I don’t have any experience with a fixie.

John
Finally someone asking the real question. I was wondering this morning when I saw this thread but I didn't have time to reply.

So, OP, stand behind your bike (elevated on a stand or kneel on the floor) and line your eye up with the chain. Does it run straight from the cog to the chainring or does it have to jog over because the chainring doesn't line up? (3mm or less is as good as dead on straight.)

Until you do this with your bike, not an "identical" bike you saw on a U-tube, you have no idea whether you are better off with the chainring inside or outside.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 11-20-21, 05:48 PM
DonTx

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Finally someone asking the real question. I was wondering this morning when I saw this thread but I didn't have time to reply.

So, OP, stand behind your bike (elevated on a stand or kneel on the floor) and line your eye up with the chain. Does it run straight from the cog to the chainring or does it have to jog over because the chainring doesn't line up? (3mm or less is as good as dead on straight.)

Until you do this with your bike, not an "identical" bike you saw on a U-tube, you have no idea whether you are better off with the chainring inside or outside.
Yep all this. You may not have a problem at all.
Old 11-20-21, 11:58 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Hi,

"Flip the chain wheel so that it sits on the inside of the crank arm bolts (on the stock bike, it is opposite, so the chain is warped and under unnecessary torque). When you flip it, the chain will sit perfectly straight."

Can any explain way the reviewer means by this? Maybe explain it in different words

Cheers
below is the crank from my fixie. It's a standard double crank (Campag Daytona), but as you can see, the outer larger chainring has been removed, leaving only the smaller inner ring. The rings are detached from the crank arm by unscrewing the 5 allen-head screws, which screw into cylindrical nuts on the "inboard" side of the chainring. For a fixie, you want the chainring to be perfectly in line with the sprocket (ie, a straight chainline), for efficiency (a straight chain is a longer-lasting smoother chain) and safety (a straight chainline reduces the risk of the chain coming off either the sprocket or the chainring - something you absolutely don't want to happen on a fixie). For me, simply placing the chainring on the inside position of the crank arms gave me a very good chainline without any messing around - YMMV, in that you might find that the outboard position might be better, or you might need to play with things like spacers or altering BB spindle length to get a perfect chainline.
Bear in mind also that using a single chainring on a double crank will likely require new chainring screws/nuts - the original nuts are long enough to accommodate two rings and the crank arm, but will likely be too long for only a single ring and the crank arm. You can get a set of shorter "single stack" chainring screws/nuts from most bike shops

Last edited by Litespud; 11-21-21 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-21-21, 12:23 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts

Since your chain ring is solid, you have to remove both the right crank arm and spider as well as the chain ring.

Maybe explain it in different words
With reference to the above photo, the chain ring is mounted in front of, i.e., closer to the viewer than, the spider.

Another option is to mount the chain ring behind, i.e., further from the viewer than, the spider.
Old 11-21-21, 12:41 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonneh
That's not true---a "solid" chainring can be passed over as if it were a 38T.
Sorry, you are right, I did not think of moving the inner edge of the chain ring between two spider arms to get the chain ring around the opposite spider arm.
Old 11-21-21, 12:42 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

To sum up the advice…

First check the chain angle from the chainring to the cog to see how straight it is running.

If it is not exactly how you want it, measure the distance from the current chainring to the chainstay at its closest point. Moving the chainring from the outer position to inner moves it 5mm closer to the chainstay. I would think you would want to have at least 8mm from your current ring setup to the chainstay so you end up with 3mm after moving the ring.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 11-21-21, 12:45 AM
Jonneh

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Sorry, you are right, I did not think of moving the inner edge of the chain ring between two spider arms to get the chain ring around the opposite spider arm.
Oops! I deleted my post by accident while trying to edit it, and now you're quoting a non-existent post. Anyway, it's true that the solid ring has a narrower inner circle than a typical 38T chainring, but yeah, the triangles being deeper than the stepped extensions of the arm that the ring bolts to mean that the ring must pass! ;-)
Old 11-21-21, 01:05 AM
70sSanO

Also, Race Face sells chainring tab shims to fill in the shoulder where the outer ring mounts. I haven’t used them, but I made my own tabs from a worn ring.

It does look better with them than without. But if you have 1x bolts with a double crank, you’ll need longer ones.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 11-21-21 at 01:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.