Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I Crazy? - Long vs Short Rear Mech Cage for Racing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I Crazy? - Long vs Short Rear Mech Cage for Racing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-21, 05:35 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Long is the new short. Check out how low these hang...

Old 12-02-21, 09:07 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I'd swap it out just to be safe.
It's a slippery slope on the Fred scale.. if you start accepting a longer-than-necessary rear derailleur cage, what's next? Valve stem caps? MTB pedals? A couple of stem spacers suddenly seems OK, right?

Where do you draw the line? If you don't put a pin in this now, before you know it you'll be rolling up to the Cat 3 start line with a saddle bag and visible leg hair.
Dang, I am violating every single one of the above except for the saddle bag.

I was going to put off installing my RD-6800-SS because the RD-5800-GS seems to be shifting OK, but no more; I will make the swap tomorrow morning as soon as that Zoom meeting is over.
Old 12-02-21, 09:54 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
There's no functional disadvantage to using a longer-cage derailleur than is strictly necessary, other than a couple grams additional weight for the longer cage.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 12-02-21, 10:03 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Dang, I am violating every single one of the above except for the saddle bag.

I was going to put off installing my RD-6800-SS because the RD-5800-GS seems to be shifting OK, but no more; I will make the swap tomorrow morning as soon as that Zoom meeting is over.
That's unfortunate.

Rule #33: Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to shaved riders, or be considered a hippie ****** on your way to a Critical Mass. Whether you use a straight razor or a Bowie knife, use Baxter to keep them smooth.

Rule#34: Mountain bike shoes and pedals have their place.On a mountain bike.

Rule#45: A maximum stack height of 2cm is allowed below the stem and a single 5mm spacer must always – always – be stacked above. A “slammed down” stack height is preferable; meaning that the stem is positioned directly on the top race of the headset.

Rule#60: You are not, under any circumstances, to employ the use of the washer-nut and valve-stem cap that come with your inner-tubes or tubulars. They are only supplied to meet shipping regulations. They are useless when it comes to tubes and tires.
Old 12-02-21, 10:16 PM
Chris O

Bikes: Wilier Triestina GTR SL '16; Basso Gap '93

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
Anyone who can write "I've been getting into road racing and am now having regrets that this was a bad choice. Having a long cage is not very racy and kind of "Fred"-like" with a straight face has already achieved Full Fred-dom. We Freds come in many varieties.

I'm afraid the op is too far gone to recover by changing a derailleur cage.
I am Fred. Hear me roar!
Likes For Chris O:
Old 12-03-21, 12:00 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Fredly can still be racy looking.

Old 12-03-21, 12:39 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by seypat
Fredly can still be racy looking.

Any bike with the word "turbo" on the top tube is racy looking regardless of rear derailleur cage length or pedals.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-03-21, 06:28 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
I don't think I could even tell the difference between a long and short cage derailleur at a glance.

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Wear a crew length sock on the left, quarter length on the right. Folks who would be noticing your derailer are now transfixed on your socks.
And tell them the asymmetric sock length is proven to be more aero around an anti-clockwise crit course.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-03-21, 06:44 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
The race bike.........yup, 30t capacity RD cage. But they fit the fancy larger tooth count jockey wheels if you believe such things reduce friction. Without changing the RD cage. I just liked the gold and do kind of drink the Koolaid on drivetrain losses and larger diameters and gentler chain radii. Also, anyone "in the know" runs the long cage RD with a clutch for cyclocross racing these days. Less issues dropping a chain. More capacity for more range. Win.

But.....even though that's a RD that can take a 30t cassette and can probably squeeze a 32 if I try...........but that's a 60t front ring. Nobody really cares about any of that if you can't push the dang gears. You could have an 11-23 modern day "corn cob" and 56/42 crank with shortest RD cage ever seen. If you can't push the dang pedals in anger to good effect to win.............it's all worthless.

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 12-03-21, 07:36 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
And tell them the asymmetric sock length is proven to be more aero around an anti-clockwise crit course.
That is only true to the extent that the socks do not cover my leg hair, which are not shaved, but bunched together with pomade to form vortex generators.
Old 12-04-21, 12:58 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Wear a crew length sock on the left, quarter length on the right. Folks who would be noticing your derailer are now transfixed on your socks. Different colors for the brave. Derailers today are so good you won’t know any difference in use.
That actually has a practical aero advantage. The shorter sock on the drive side is less likely to get soiled from the chain/chainring. Thus, avoiding airflow disturbance from a blob of goop on an otherwise clean sock.
Old 12-04-21, 04:01 PM
ChamoisDavisJr
ri alene

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
You’re more of a “Fred” now that you’re racing. Welcome to the world of LARP’ing.

Embrace it.

You’re just like the people who dress up and do Civil War battles or D&D.

Worrying about the length of your sword is a bit much. Just focus on leveling up your Frost Mage to CAT 3. The length of your Staff of Woe is immaterial to your success.

Good Luck!
Likes For ChamoisDavisJr: