Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Mirrors suck but this one works.

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 12-06-21, 09:30 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts

I know, I know,, mirrors are a true indication of senility and worse, real aged Fred status. However after trashing multiple mirrors I found one that actually works with drop bars. I bought Hafnys bar end mirror, this mirror is 68 mms in diameter and the glass has a blue tint to help with glare. The mirror is easy to install, stays aligned on ****** roads and is large enough to provide a nice and clear field of view of the cars/street. I ride on fast and busy roads and change lanes or turn with the traffic which makes the ability to see the traffic behind a real bonus. If you need a mirror, this one works for me..
Likes For N2deep:
Old 12-07-21, 08:04 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I have. been using Hafny’s bar end mirrors for a few years and agree that they work well and are unobtrusive. The reflected image is clear and the mounting mechanism makes the mirror simple to install and prevents the mirror from falling out of adjustment. Personally, I couldn’t care less if people like or dislike mirrors on bikes. I use it for the safety and piece of mind it provides.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 12-07-21, 03:29 PM
John Valuk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 108 Posts
I use one of the Hafny 68 mm glass bar end mirrors on a flat bar bike that I ride mostly on rural highways.

I can't find much fault with the mirror; they really do a pretty good job with these.
Likes For John Valuk:
Old 12-07-21, 03:41 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If I'm going to use a mirror, typically only if on a group ride where I may be responsible for keeping track of those behind me, it'll only be the Take-A-Look helmet mounted mirror. That way I can rotate my head to any angle I like, and leave it there so I can study what's going on, without relying on the turn angle of the bars, and also not having to deal with a distorted view of a convex mirror.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 12-08-21, 02:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
It can take a while to find a mirror you like. I've used the Take-A-Look mirror for years and been happy with it. I attach it to my glasses. I recently switched to the Hubbub Helmet Mirror. It's a bit expensive at about $35 but I'm very happy with it. In the rain, my glasses get fogged. My prescription is mild, so I take my glasses off in the rain, and then the glasses-mounted mirror does no good. Now that my mirror is on my helmet, I don't have that problem. I could have attached the Take-A-Look mirror to the helmet, but I didn't. The Hubbub is bigger, too.

I won't argue that eyeglass- or helmet-mounted mirrors are better than mirrors on handlebars. Use what works for you. It also takes practice to use a bike mirror. But once you are practiced, I believe you are safer with any kind of mirror.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 12-08-21, 02:32 PM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 91 Posts
I have no experience with mirrors, but I looked up Hafny, so here's the URL:
https://www.hafnycomponents.com/bike-mirrors
Old 12-08-21, 02:36 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Shoot, the main reason I wear my helmet whenever I ride is because it's got the mirror mounted on it. I have an innate need to know what is going on around me at all times.
I'm afraid if the mirror were mounted on the bike I'd leave my helmet at home more than I'd wear it and from experience I know that would be a bad thing.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 12-10-21, 09:10 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
+1 for a bar end mirror. best $5 I ever spent. that said, on the road, I use both a bar end mirror & a glasses mounted mirror, because they compliment each other's features & benefits. I think older guys use mirrors because old guys know stuff
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-10-21, 01:59 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
I want to add a mirror that attaches to the side brim of a hat I wear under the helmet. Know of any?
Old 12-14-21, 10:22 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
This one works well for me. Clearview Micro Mirror ? Cycling safety just became cool!. I actually prefer the smaller one.
Old 12-15-21, 08:23 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I think older guys use mirrors because old guys know stuff
An commercial pilot friend says There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but very few old bold pilots.

Perhaps there's a connection?
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 12-15-21, 08:34 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Never heard of the Hafnys' before. I use a Cateye type. Only "older people" use mirrors? Hmmm. Kind of hard to drive a semi-truck without them and lots of 30 year old drive those. With more noiseless electric cars out there one would think mirrors would be even more of a neccessity on a bike, especially on vehicle shared roads (not bike paths). I feel naked on a bike without one. Will try a Hafnys' if I can find one!
Old 12-15-21, 09:37 AM
RichSPK

Bikes: Dawes Lightning DLX, 1988 Klein Performance, 1991 Peugeot Safari, 1985 Raleigh Alyeska, Carrera Phantom, 1973 Raleigh Record

Originally Posted by Bluechip
This one works well for me. Clearview Micro Mirror ? Cycling safety just became cool!. I actually prefer the smaller one.
Wow, that's tiny! I'll have to get one just to try it!
Old 12-15-21, 09:53 AM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

RichSPK- When I bought mine a few years ago they had two sizes. The small one that they sell now is smaller than a dime. The larger one was the size of a nickel. I much prefer the small one. It just takes a little while to find the right spot on the helmet. I bought a bag of similar magnets on eBay and played around with them for a while. Hot glue is your friend here. The only annoyance is you sometimes have to reposition it after removing your sunglasses. It's hard not to bump it in the process. But it is easy to reposition.
Likes For Bluechip:
Old 12-15-21, 10:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
makes sense. if it's close enough to our eye, it can get smaller. love the magnetic mount!
Old 12-15-21, 11:48 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Never heard of the Hafnys' before. I use a Cateye type. Only "older people" use mirrors? Hmmm. Kind of hard to drive a semi-truck without them and lots of 30 year old drive those. With more noiseless electric cars out there one would think mirrors would be even more of a neccessity on a bike, especially on vehicle shared roads (not bike paths). I feel naked on a bike without one. Will try a Hafnys' if I can find one!
Here's the version I have on my road bike. Seems to work pretty well.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hafny-Mirror-S.../dp/B07WMMQJFW
Old 12-17-21, 11:23 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I've kind of wanted to get a Giles Berthoud mirror, but the pricing is off the charts.
Old 12-17-21, 11:35 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Good to see equipment tested and proven. "Hafnys Bar End Mirror" seems to be of good manufacture and reasonable price. That's a good thing for us cheap guys out here. In the old days it was just a look under the shoulder to see whats behind. Now days no. For me I have just recently started using a mirror described in one of "10wheels" posts and have been satisfied. Of course I don't ride in traffic so it is all I need...

Old 12-17-21, 11:41 AM
acroy

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Been using the Zefal Spy mirror for many years of commuting. the first one lasted about 10yrs then fell apart from age. Mounted on downtube, you look down between your legs and get a decent shot of the road behind you. Simple and it works. i tried bar & helmet mirrors, none worked well for me.
Likes For acroy:
Old 12-17-21, 11:58 AM
RichSPK

Originally Posted by zandoval
Good to see equipment tested and proven. "Hafnys Bar End Mirror" seems to be of good manufacture and reasonable price. That's a good thing for us cheap guys out here. In the old days it was just a look under the shoulder to see whats behind. Now days no. For me I have just recently started using a mirror described in one of "10wheels" posts and have been satisfied. Of course I don't ride in traffic so it is all I need...

Is that a lens from a pair of sunglasses?
Old 12-17-21, 12:18 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Yes it is. One $ from the Dollar Store.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 12-17-21 at 02:54 PM.
Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 12-17-21, 02:12 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,811 Posts
Is that mirror flat, or is it convex?
Old 12-17-21, 02:14 PM
Bluechip

It is flat.
Old 12-17-21, 09:18 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Oh yeah! I gotta have one of them.
Old 02-07-22, 10:12 PM
ChuckPDX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use the Take-a-look glasses mirror most of the time, but I installed something called "The Italian Road Mike Mirror" many years ago on both Left and Right bar-ends for additional coverage/backup.
PROS: High quality, robust (never scratched or broken one), aero, light, no vibration, absolutely stays put, doesn't look "Fred"
CONS: You need to remove bar tape to install, minimally adjustable, a bit expensive ($45ea), requires fiddling / re-taping to get it aimed perfectly.
In summary, it's initially a pain to set up correctly, but then it just works forever.
Likes For ChuckPDX:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.