Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Best BMX style bike for cruising.

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 10-22-19, 01:27 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Hello all.
I've recently been made aware of a bunch of BMX cruisers that seem to be marketed towards the slightly older used-to BMX crowd.
Kinda funny, as this is like the first generation that would still want to pay homage to the stuff they used to like rather than stop doing it altogether.
That's great! I feel like I have a ton of options.

I'm a little confused about what I want to consider buying though, and I was hoping that some poeple coudl chime in with their experiences.
I want something that can also double as a medium duty commuter (Still climb some hills, and not feel overly clunky or "not enough bike" to do many many 2-3 mile trips in rapid succession with a mixed variation of hills).

However, I also want something that I can screw around on and do some throwback bmx with. Nothing too crazy as I wont be pushing my limits, but there are so many situations that I've been in where I wish I had a bmx bike or mtb so that I could screw around on some really cool street features I find, and I also want to pop into and be able to carve through and catch some air at the many local skateparks. Seriuos Singletrack is kinda out of the question unless i get an MTB.

I'm thinking about buying a 29er, but those just seem like they are too clunky and hard to have fun on.
Whenever I watch videos of people carving in skateparks or trying to bunnyhop over things, it just looks like they are trying to move this overly clunky anvil around.
Like it just looks like they can't get the smallest amoutn of leverage to do anything other than roll over things and bunnyhop like over a curb or something.

Has this been the case for any of you 29ers out there?

24 seems like it would be too much of a BMX bike and basically useless as a serious short-trip commuter.
Again, all opinions are welcome.

So I'm considering a 26", but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of options out there in that particular category.

Also, I'm trying to keep it close to $500 +/- some change.
Would be great ot get something for $300 that isn't made of hi-ten, but that seems like it's impossible unless I go on the used market.

Any ideas out there?
Old 10-23-19, 07:56 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I would go to a few Bike shops and test ride several sizes and brands.

Pay attention to not only the wheel size, but the top tube length... Just getting a bigger wheel, isn't going to make it much bigger.

I'm 46, 6'4" 260ish LBS... A 20" Bike is not working for me. I live in a rural area, so we have **** for shops... A few months ago I was in a still rural, but fairly big town that had a few shops. I went to one and test rode about 10 bikes, including one of these new Ebikes...

Also, check out you tube for videos of guys on 24, 26 and 29" BMX...

Lastly, there are a few good Face Book groups dedicated to 24, 26 and 29" BMX that the guys there are pretty cool.

So far I like Haro, GT, Sunday, and Sunday, for their bigger bikes...
Old 10-24-19, 04:18 PM
Tiny1990

Bikes: 1990 Diamondback Interval, 08 Schwinn Peloton

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I had a 2017 SE Big Ripper for a few year. It was a great cruiser as well as my race bike for local bmx racing. I am 6'7 300lb and it was a good size and feel for me. I could have used a longer seat post for cruising though.
Old 10-28-19, 01:15 PM
BIGDCYCLES
Gravel Junkie

Bikes: GT type CX, FUJI Sandblaster Drop Bar conversion, Kink Williams BMX, Framed Defendant Pro 22" BMX, Custom Klunker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The only bigger bmx wheel size I have experience with is 24". I could do everything better on it because it was comfortable. I even did MANY 5 mile trips on it. That being said I would like to try out a new 22" and a 26" some time.
Old 10-30-19, 08:38 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
I've had a 24" Haro Master DMC on pre-order for seems like 4 months now...

They keep moving the date out... Now I think we're at mid or end of November.
It'll be too cold to ride when it get here..

I can't wait, it'll be my 1st Big BMX bike...
Old 11-01-19, 03:48 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiny1990
I am 6'7 300lb.
Suddenly 5’9” and 155lbs feels small and insignificant.
Old 11-01-19, 10:52 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
26 is still large. If you are going to get one do like most others and get an SE as they are aluminum and in your price range. Tons of pages on FB and SE sales pages where you can post want to buy for $x and see what pops up. There are tens of thousands of SE out there as they cater to older riders. They are decent enough to be worth upgrading as well.

If you go with a retro freestyle type the geometry will hinder you as the geometry is based on flatland and most likely be cro mo or mostly cro mo at that price point, so it will be heavier. There are new school but most older guys are used to flashy annodized part bikes that remind of 20". SE also caters to that.

Other than that, its personal preference including, height, weight, and percentage of actual riding vs trying to do tricks.

Last edited by Bikerider007; 11-01-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-02-19, 08:49 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Buying and selling SE bikes lots $3-600+
https://m.facebook.com/groups/177232...f=group_browse
Old 12-15-19, 08:47 PM
ekline309

Bikes: Standard TRLS 250

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a 26" Verde Modus, it's pretty nice. 29" would be too big in my opinion...
Old 06-23-20, 11:05 PM
Fish Catcher
Making my old bike again

Bikes: Mongoose Status 2.2 and Mongoose Estate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone Around?

BMX Cruisers are my go-to bikes.
Just gave my last one away and am starting an upgrade build to my new mongoose grudge.

Anyone familiar with this bike?
I want to bring this bike up a notch or two as I wait until next year to add to my workout the Inspired Hex 26"

Have a great week
Jim
Old 06-24-20, 11:53 AM
gdawg55

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently bought a Redline PL-26 and really like it. It will do what you have described. I got if for beating around the neighborhood with my son and for taking short rides....it seems perfect for my needs. Only upgrade I had to do so far is a new seat. The one that comes with the bike looks cool, but is hard plastic with no cushioning. I'm too old for that.....lol.
Old 09-08-20, 09:21 AM
HowardWow1997

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Redline PL-26 !) As for me heavy)
Old 10-01-20, 12:19 PM
sworley

Bikes: 2021 Kona Woo, 2015 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1994 Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua’a, 1989 Bianchi Campione d' Italia, 1985 Trek 720, 1980 Cook Brothers 3-bar Cruiser

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Sounds like 26'' is a good happy medium for your needs.
Old 10-01-20, 02:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'd go with a 26". I had a Sunday High-C 29" and it was just way too much bike for anything except cruising. Not agile, not flickable, just BIG. Rolled like a dream, though.

Lots of 26" bikes are available these days, most hovering around the $500-$600 range: Redline P-26, We the People Avenger, Verde Modus, Cult Devotion, all the SE crap, Volume Sledgehammer, etc., etc. If I was buying a cruiser today, I'd get a Fairdale Taj. The 2021s are 27.5" but there should be some 26" versions still around.
Old 11-06-20, 09:56 AM
cycler56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smullen
I would go to a few Bike shops and test ride several sizes and brands.

Pay attention to not only the wheel size, but the top tube length... Just getting a bigger wheel, isn't going to make it much bigger.

I'm 46, 6'4" 260ish LBS... A 20" Bike is not working for me. I live in a rural area, so we have **** for shops... A few months ago I was in a still rural, but fairly big town that had a few shops. I went to one and test rode about 10 bikes, including one of these new Ebikes...

Also, check out you tube for videos of guys on 24, 26 and 29" BMX...

Lastly, there are a few good Face Book groups dedicated to 24, 26 and 29" BMX that the guys there are pretty cool.

So far I like Haro, GT, Sunday, and Sunday, for their bigger bikes...
helpful