Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help identifying frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help identifying frame

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-21, 12:57 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Help identifying frame

I volunteer at a local DIY shop and we had a bike come in that I'm trying to track down the make if possible. I didn't have my phone with me to take photos but:
- No frame or tubing stickers or head badge.
- headtube shows no headbadge holes so likely a sticker headbadge
- No pantographing on the chain stays or bottom bracket
- chromed chain stays
- nice quality forged dropouts ( I couldn't read the logo - my eyes are getting dim and the phone would have helped.)
- internal cable routing in top tube
- serial number is somewhat readable but again, I need the photo of it
- I suspect the paint is not original due to the absence of frame stickers
- components are mismash of Shimano (Tiagra, Avlio) with a conversion to 1" threadless fork.
- top tube inset Italian flag logo, like the Ciocc picture below

ciocc toptube

This latter element is the only thing I can see that stands out. I've not seen it before so I'm not sure how common it is. I'm not sure if a serial number alone would help establish the builder and, if the paint is after-market, as I suspect, then it may not be completely readable. Any suggestions of where else to look etc. would be appreciated. I'm not convinced I can narrow down anything other than [probably] Italian frame. I can update photos in a day or so of the serial number.
Old 08-01-21, 02:57 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Maybe Concorde? They have a logo in the forkcrown but maybe no original fork?
Old 08-01-21, 06:41 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Bikes: Apollo fixed winter bike, Gazelle Cross, Baboe Cargo bike, Linskey Rouleur Road, Bridgestone Picnica, Tern C7, 2nd gen Strida

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Fabio, good suggestion. Concordes are fairly available in Canada too and with your suggestion have seen a few examples photos with the Italian flag badge. The fork is not original, unfortunately, and has been replaced by a 1" threadless Kinesis fork. I'll have another look at the frame and check the brake bridge, something I neglected to check.
Likes For cavit8:
Old 08-01-21, 07:06 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That Italian flag braze-on was a 3rd party piece and can be found on many Italian manufactured frames. Other big users included Battaglin and Billato.
Old 08-01-21, 07:58 PM
cavit8
Shiftless bum

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks T-Mar. Billato made frames for Concorde, I think, although I've seen others claim they were made by Pelizzoli. I think the claim we can make is the frame is Italian made, at this point, and leave it at that. Thanks for the help, folks.
Old 08-02-21, 12:40 AM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by cavit8
Thanks T-Mar. Billato made frames for Concorde, I think, although I've seen others claim they were made by Pelizzoli. I think the claim we can make is the frame is Italian made, at this point, and leave it at that. Thanks for the help, folks.
Pelizzoli/Ciocc made the top of the line and Billato the cheaper ones.
Likes For fabiofarelli: