Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Does anyone wear Da Brim?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-29-16, 01:42 PM
jeff400650

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I work and play outside and always wear a wide brimmed hat.

While bicycling I just wear a helmet and sunscreen. I miss the shade on my head and I hate smearing chemicals on my face. Da Brim looks pretty good. Might be problematic for fast road cycling, but for long, slow days on tour, it might work. Too dorky? Too floppy? Worth $45.00 to try?
Da Brim :: Products :: Cycling :: Sporty
Old 07-29-16, 01:49 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Trike riders use them.

Never seen one used on a road bike.

Old 07-29-16, 01:54 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
No never used it. Don't mind using sun lotion/screen. Hair getting a bit sparse and sun burn on parts of scalp exposed by helmet vents is a problem that this doesn't address. Either wear a cycling cap under the helmet (often don't wear helmet when cycling on the flat)or put lotion on scalp.
Old 07-29-16, 02:06 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
One lady on a ride I was on last summer wore one, and she loved it.

I still wonder how it would behave in windy conditions, either from riding fast, into a headwind, or downhill. I'd rather not look down and find an opaque windscreen over my eyes when I looked up!
Old 07-29-16, 02:38 PM
BohicaX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never leave home without it as far as wind is concerned if you purchase dabrim purchase the front Stabilizer as well it stops it flipping up going downhill or strong winds

Da Brim :: Products :: Cycling :: Front Stabilizer
Old 07-29-16, 02:43 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...try-these.html
Old 07-29-16, 06:13 PM
nolanbeck

Bikes: 82 Raleigh Competition 531; 86 Raleigh Technium 480; 87 Trek 720

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen several while on tours. Most people were happy with it. One guy liked it but said the headwind was causing the brim to flip up and not provide sun protection. He was devising a method to hold it in place. I never saw him again (we were going opposite directions) so I don't know how it turned out.
Old 07-29-16, 07:30 PM
george25923

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nolanbeck
I have seen several while on tours. Most people were happy with it. One guy liked it but said the headwind was causing the brim to flip up and not provide sun protection. He was devising a method to hold it in place. I never saw him again (we were going opposite directions) so I don't know how it turned out.
I used to wear a baseball cap because the sun bothers me and all bike helmets have VERY small visors. I bought a Da Brim with the 3" bill about a 1 1/2 years ago to wear on my bike helmet and have been using it ever since. It works great. And it only looks dorky to others not me since I cannot see it. And it blocks the sun from bothering my eyes.
Em
Old 07-29-16, 10:31 PM
jeff400650

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to order one. The "sporty" model in black should be the least floppy and least dorky.
Old 07-29-16, 10:40 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jeff400650
I am going to order one. The "sporty" model in black should be the least floppy and least dorky.
Order one of these...you'll have to cut it to size. If you have questions about cutting it, ask here first!

Da Brim :: Products :: Cycling :: Front Stabilizer

I really don't get all the "dorky" comments. Just wait until you get your Brim out on the road or trail, it's gonna be YOUR new question, "Where didja get your hat at???" Ask me how I know. I think the Da Brim is an all around smart idea and doesn't look bad at all.

Last edited by jonc123; 07-29-16 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 11:21 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I've got one, but yet to tour on it.
I dislike it on windy days due to my head getting buffeted a bit and my neck suffering after an extended ride.
Looking forward to taking it on my next tour, though I've yet to work out where to store it when not utilising it.
Old 07-30-16, 09:42 AM
sleepysurf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in FL, and recently got one of these Halo headbands, which I wear under my helmet... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._al_bw_g468_i5

Works great. Also has a built-in sweat diverter in front. The tail flaps a little at higher speeds, but not bad.
Old 08-11-16, 06:44 PM
Lovegasoline

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Orthodox Jews Go Nutz for Da Brim®!
Old 08-11-16, 10:16 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen one cyclist with one while in Montana this year . I ride with a baseball hat ( top button removed ) over an over sized bandana that keeps the sun off completely , neck and ears as well . The baseball hat has it's cloth panels removed for ventilation .
Old 08-14-16, 06:11 PM
Bearonabike

Bikes: Jamis Aurora, Fuji S10S (X2), Jamis Coda

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm just about old enough to completely not care how this thing looks, so long as it benefits me. Just might buy one.
Old 08-14-16, 06:42 PM
scroungetech

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've commuted in the largest model, through both sun & rain. It stays stuck to my helmet well, and does what it's supposed to do. I like it especially for night time urban riding because I can tilt the left front edge down a bit while blocking out the glare of oncoming headlights-like a car sun visor- I still know where the cars are but I'm not blinded. But if I'm going to be off road or way out in rural areas with few cars, I leave it behind, strap my helmet to my seat bag & put on a nylon boonie hat. Much cooler, and crushable/foldable. Da brim can't be folded, so I haven't taken it on longer rides.
Old 08-01-18, 07:34 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
My dabrim arrived last night just in time for a week of predicted rain.

Fits my helmet rather poorly, given mine has this kind of pointless elongation at the back. May try to add an alternate loop for the cinch strap to go below that and better capture it. Or may eventually end up with a different helmet.

Bigger annoyance is that it won't work with my helmet cover I was using to avoid sunburn through the vents. Guess I'm going to put some velcro or sew-on snaps or something around its band so that I can make a cover that attaches to those. Would almost just make the cover a part of it, maybe baste it on by hand, since I can't see using the brim without also wanting a cover, but it may make installation harder.

My tentative plan is to to take it off and attach it to my pack for after sunset (and next time out, pre-dawn) riding, and having the center hollow related to how I was planning to attach it (don't really want to fold it to stuff in the pack routinely, though it did ship folded).

I guess Is should also test headlamp compatibility with keeping it on first. It's going to make walking around with a helmet clipped to pack strap or handlebar more awkward though.

Will need to improvise a front stabilizer since my supplier didn't seem to carry that, but should be simple.
Old 08-01-18, 08:02 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
I brought my REI sun hat to the Weekend Cycle Oregon two weeks to wear messing around camp. Had the inconvenience of having with me plus helmet and needing to move my bike, so I wore it under my helmet. First thought - this works! I'd seriously consider this for a long very hot ride like crossing a desert.

(The REI hat is a brim similar to Da Brim only as part of a full hat with a venting band of bug net between the brim and the top.)

Ben
Old 08-01-18, 08:50 AM
brandonk

Bikes: 84 John Howard, 85 Raleigh Kodiak, 84 Ross Mt whitney, 74 Masi, 82 Allez

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I and all my coworkers use these brims by CMC rescue on our hardhats , they do pretty well in the wind and can be starched to stiffen. I'll try it out on my bike helmet soon.

Old 08-01-18, 09:07 AM
RobSN

Bikes: Tout Terrain Silkroad Xplore Gold

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear the Adventure Cycling cap which protects my balding head and neck, and fits under a helmet no trouble (which solves the problem that is all so common on a loaded touring bike of going so fast that the cap would otherwise FLY OFF!!!).

See https://www.adventurecycling.org/cyc...p/protech-cap/
Old 08-01-18, 09:12 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
I have never tried one. I did a week long van supported trip In Texas in April (it was quite sunny), one gal had one and she really liked it. She also was a fast rider, faster than me, so general riding by a fast rider did not appear to be a problem for her. But she said that in strong headwinds or on fast descents, it does not work so well.

Originally Posted by UniChris
My dabrim arrived last night just in time for a week of predicted rain.
Bigger annoyance is that it won't work with my helmet cover I was using to avoid sunburn through the vents. Guess I'm going to put some velcro or sew-on snaps or something around its band so that I can ...
I have a thin spot (some would call it bald) on top, I just dab on sunscreen. It is pretty easy to figure out where to put it, it is where there is the least amount of hair to get in the way.
Old 08-01-18, 09:40 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I have never tried one. I did a week long van supported trip In Texas in April (it was quite sunny), one gal had one and she really liked it. She also was a fast rider, faster than me, so general riding by a fast rider did not appear to be a problem for her. But she said that in strong headwinds or on fast descents, it does not work so well.
I did think about this, but I ride a unicycle... occasionally I'll pass someone on a bike on an uphill climb if they're out of shape.

So I figure it if works on a bike at all, it should work for me.

And the appearance argument is already beside the point... I mean, apart from getting a red squeezy nose, how much more more absurd could I get?

I have a thin spot (some would call it bald) on top, I just dab on sunscreen. It is pretty easy to figure out where to put it, it is where there is the least amount of hair to get in the way.
I use, but detest sunscreen. It clogs pores and makes you sweat funny, it's hard to wash off in the shower after, putting it on my head it runs into my eyes, and it's nasty how it gets all over the helmet straps and pads.

I'd rather just put a cover on the helmet. And on longer rides when I'm out into evening, removing the cover always feels nice.

And actually, thank you - because typing those words just made me realize I do need to make my cover separable from the dabrim, because either I'll leave the brim on after dark and remove the cover to enjoy the breeze, or I'll take the brim off and need to leverage the opening in how I attach it to my pack.

I'll probably still need some suncscreen on the back of my neck even with the brim, but hopefully can avoid needing to put any on face, ears (and by extension helmet straps), etc. And with a long sleeve breathable jersey I don't need it on my arms either.

Also, to date most of the rides I've done have been in areas offering a lot of shade - rail trails that only occasionally break into the open or follow a road shoulder for a couple of miles. I've tended to avoid things like a beach path that was fully exposed, or (after an experience of taking all my breaks under overpasses) a recreational closure of a highway, and hopefully this makes those more approachable. Particularly looking forward to it for a labor-day weekend event on a harbor island where in the past I decided the lack of car traffic justified a safari hat in place of a helmet at all.

Last edited by UniChris; 08-01-18 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-01-18, 10:06 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
I use, but detest sunscreen. It clogs pores and makes you sweat funny, it's hard to wash off in the shower after, putting it on my head it runs into my eyes, and it's nasty how it gets all over the helmet straps and pads.
My thin spot is small and only thin enough that I do get some sunburn in a small spot. If it was much larger, I probably would be looking for an alternative plan too.
Old 08-01-18, 02:25 PM
biker222

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf
I've got one, but yet to tour on it.
I dislike it on windy days due to my head getting buffeted a bit and my neck suffering after an extended ride.
Looking forward to taking it on my next tour, though I've yet to work out where to store it when not utilising it.
That's why I returned the one I purchased before big tour. I just used skull cap and suntan lotion
Old 08-01-18, 05:06 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Looks like a good idea, but why $40? I just bought one of those floppy hats that laborers wear in the sun for ten bucks. I know this is modified to fit over a bike helmet, but does that warrant all that extra money, or are "they" just taking advantage of cyclists?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.