Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What to build?
Classic rebuild
25.00%
Single speed
0%
1x front drive train
25.00%
Other
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Winter Project

Old 06-16-20, 07:04 AM
superjoe95

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Project

I'm thinking of getting the necessary parts, components and tools together to build a new ride for myself this winter (what else is there to do?) and I'm torn between two ideas.

The first idea is to find an old frame from a popular/legendary manufacturer from the year I was born (1986) and rebuild it with a bit of a modern twist. The concept being an old frame with modern components, if that's even possible. This could be a road ride or a single speed.

The second idea is just getting my hands on any frame and building a single speed or a 1x front drive train type ride.

For what it's worth, I currently have a hardtail that I bought in 2002 and upgraded from 2003 to 2005. All of these upgrades I did myself. Then in 2017 I bought a Cannondale Quick 5 hybrid.

I'm leaning towards a single speed, for something different, but what's the appeal with them for those that own one?
Old 06-16-20, 12:29 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Why would you decide how to spend your winter based on a popular vote? What do YOU want to do?

If we vote for "Learn how to cross-stitch" will you post a picture of your sampler next spring?
Old 06-16-20, 01:35 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Single speed is fun in that it is very simple. It is also quite limiting because some terrain cant be ridden as well/comfortably.

A road frame from '86 can be easily built up with modern components. The only thing will be spreading the rear dropouts 4mm to modern road width and how you want to attach the stem(traditional quill or modern threadless for which there are a couple options).
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...i-s-ergos.html 311 pages of modern drivetrains on old frames.

Since it appears you havent ridden a drop bar bike, I suggest you try it before going down a rabbit hole like this winter project. Make sure you like it first.