Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike traveling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bike traveling

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-21, 03:57 PM
oujeep1

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Colnago CX1 EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Bike traveling

I'm looking for advice from those who have taken their bike on an airplane(commercial) before. I am going to Montana in two weeks for the Montana cycling project ride from Butte, in times past I have shipped the bike but am planning to just take it with me this time, SW airlines out of OKC connecting in Denver to Bozeman. If that goes well, next February my wife and I are going to Hawaii for two weeks, one week on Maui(Kapalua) and the second on Hawaii, staying at Four Seasons. I have multiple times ridden a rental bike on Maui and Hawaii, and while they are reasonable good and reasonably priced, it's not like having my own. That trip will be on American, out of Dallas, flying to OGG(Maui) and home from KOA(Kona) both first class Appreciate anyones thoughts and experiences.
Old 07-25-21, 04:42 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4376 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
It's airline dependent, I'm sure, but one consideration is flying on small planes (i.e., regional jets such as Bombardier CRJ series). Usually, these have capacity for just a few bikes in the luggage hold. With Delta, it's first-come, first served. You should check about SW, AA, etc.

Also, I do not like flying with my bike when there are transfers. If possible, non-stops limit the potential for headaches.
Old 07-25-21, 06:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
You need to look at oversized luggage rates and fees.

If this is a frequent trip, it may be a benefit to purchase a folding bike or S&S coupled bike that can fit inside regulation luggage.
Old 07-25-21, 06:43 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I travel regularly with my bike with no problems at all over probably 50+ flights. I mostly use a helium case but have used a cardboard box when touring. Its always nice to have your own bike. If you can swing the Four Seasons you can pay the surcharge for a bike if there is one it’s really not that big of a deal.
Old 07-26-21, 01:01 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
In before someone suggest buying a new bike...
EDIT: Never mind, looks like I'm too late.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 07-26-21, 03:36 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I also travel frequently with a bike, but my trips are all international. I live in Mexico. A couple years ago, American and, I believe Delta, nixed charging extra fore an oversize bike box, as long as it was 50# or under. Even before this was official policy, I never got charged. You should be fine.