Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Motobecane Grand Jubile

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show your Motobecane Grand Jubile

Old 08-16-18, 07:10 PM
Mainah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Paging randyjawa from 2012. Great build! What bars are those? Moustache? I recently came into possession of a '78 Grand Jubilee that's a touch too big for me, and I'm thinking some type of swept back bars might be the way to go.
Old 08-16-18, 09:17 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 108 Posts
1974 Grand Jubile

My 1974. I think this is my favorite color scheme, although the black/red runs a close second... These offer such a lovely ride!

Last edited by orcas island; 08-29-18 at 11:20 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 01:09 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts
Thanks all, for the suggestions and photos. I agree wholeheartedly that these Grand Jubilés have a wonderful feel to them and are a joy to ride. I also love that French je ne sais quoi that they have about them in such surprising abundance.

I'm leaning toward keeping the original 27 inch Rigida wheels since from the photos I've seen they seem to work well with VO fenders. I have those nice VO classic looking front and rear racks sitting around unused, so that seems a good combination. In the mean time I'm just enjoying riding up and down the Platte River trail on her here in Denver and gazing at the lugwork and finish while enjoying a beer in the sun.

Old 08-18-18, 04:42 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Paging randyjawa from 2012. Great build! What bars are those? Moustache? I recently came into possession of a '78 Grand Jubilee that's a touch too big for me, and I'm thinking some type of swept back bars might be the way to go.
The assembly(bars, stem, shifters and grips) is in great shape and still hangs from my piano wire handlebar storage line. I no longer need them or intend to use them. I restore much older stuff, these days. Interested..?

I have used the bar on a bike or two, over the years, with hopes of improving comfort. They are comfortable but I do prefer drop bars. That old Motobecane was sold two years ago, and the new owner wanted the bike to look like this...
Old 08-25-18, 10:42 PM
ZTony8

Bikes: A Motobecane Gran Jubilee(bought new circa 1978),aTriace bought at WalMart,an old Scwinn Varsity and two old Schwinn World Sports that I bought cheap at a bike swap meet.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm trying to find out what year my GJ is. I bought it new in either 1977 or 1978 to replace a stolen CCM. I had the receipt until a few years ago. What I see on the underside of the bottom bracket looks like D7D4 or B7B4 or some combination of that. The digits are clear, the letters not so much. It has a Stronglight crank, Huret derailleurs, Pivo neck and handlebar. It's silver with black accents. Help?
Old 08-26-18, 09:40 PM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ZTony8
I'm trying to find out what year my GJ is. I bought it new in either 1977 or 1978 to replace a stolen CCM. I had the receipt until a few years ago. What I see on the underside of the bottom bracket looks like D7D4 or B7B4 or some combination of that. The digits are clear, the letters not so much. It has a Stronglight crank, Huret derailleurs, Pivo neck and handlebar. It's silver with black accents. Help?
Sure would be good to have a few pictures. I'm guessing, based on the info you provided, it's a 1975.
Old 08-27-18, 09:11 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Is there any easy way to date a GJ without the serial number? My grandfather passed away recently, and the last time I rode with him was two years ago when he was 86 - I rode a Grand Jubilé that my uncle rode when he was young, and my grampa rode his mid-'90s Fuji Team. My uncle took the Fuji, and I'll be getting the Moto when we're able to work out the logistics to bring it up to Boston, and I'm curious as to what year this bike was made.

Old 08-27-18, 01:49 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 236 Times in 108 Posts
I’d have to guess it was a 1974, based on the Stronglight crank and the seat tube location of the Reynolds 531 decal. Derailleurs have been changed out from the original Huret models. Nice bike!

Last edited by orcas island; 08-27-18 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 03:24 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Originally Posted by orcas island
I’d have to guess it was a 1974, based on the Stronglight crank and the seat tube location of the Reynolds 531 decal. Derailleurs have been changed out from the original Huret models. Nice bike!
I actually have what are probably the original derailleurs in a box that I brought home from that visit. I'm not a big fan of the saddle that's on it, though, so I just bought a NOS Ideale 80 Speciale Competition to put on it when we actually get the bike up to Boston
Old 09-05-18, 10:15 AM
motogeek 

Bikes: '86 Veloce, 72 Moto Le Champ , 72 Moto G.R., 75 Moto G.J. , 74 Moto G.R. frame, (2) 75 Moto G.J. mixte, numerous ballooners

Originally Posted by agmetal
I actually have what are probably the original derailleurs in a box that I brought home from that visit. I'm not a big fan of the saddle that's on it, though, so I just bought a NOS Ideale 80 Speciale Competition to put on it when we actually get the bike up to Boston
I pretty much concur with Orcas about it being a 74, probably an early one at that considering the head tube badge (possibly even a 73). Would have originally had Huret Jubilee front and rear (probably short cage) derailleur. I've had several of these and they are great bikes. Someone probably put the Sun Tour RD on in order to use a larger freewheel as it was rare to find a Jubilee rear derailleur being used with anything larger than a 26 tooth freewheel. I ran a 28 tooth freewheel with a long cage Jubilee RD for quite a while with good success.
Old 09-06-18, 10:04 PM
agmetal

Originally Posted by motogeek
I pretty much concur with Orcas about it being a 74, probably an early one at that considering the head tube badge (possibly even a 73). Would have originally had Huret Jubilee front and rear (probably short cage) derailleur. I've had several of these and they are great bikes. Someone probably put the Sun Tour RD on in order to use a larger freewheel as it was rare to find a Jubilee rear derailleur being used with anything larger than a 26 tooth freewheel. I ran a 28 tooth freewheel with a long cage Jubilee RD for quite a while with good success.
Thanks! I still need to figure out how best to get the bike up here and when, and then figure out exactly how I want to set it up for myself. I know I want to keep it as a drop bar bike with downtube shifters, but may have a few changes in store for it
Old 09-07-18, 10:25 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 265 Posts
Posted elsewhere, but here's mine: Love at 1st sight BID, much later got a red, bare frame, sold as a 78 but been I.D. by experts as 75-77. Vitus tubing, SunTour dropouts, I think 1976 now, but who knows? Came with a Stronglight headset and 3 Huret clamps. Swap meets & trades for French parts & Shimano Arabesque DR's & brake levers, got the wheel set from Bill Stevenson at Bike Stand in Olympia, WA, my first B17 Saddle, I later carved to be Swallowesque, Giles Berthaud SS fenders & leather mudflap installed by Corey Thompson at the Bike Stand. Bag is a Rivendell, no longer avail. that I got for $5 at Recycled Cycles.(It had a Minoura bar /frame mount bottle holder attachment inside!)

It's a great, smooth, ride which I always brought along when we traveled, so ridden all over the Western U.S. Gets lots of positive comments and questions, best was "You're not from around here, are you?" from a roadie, on a Colnago, outside Tucson, AZ.

Also have a 1975 Mixte I got in 2016 & just finished the overhaul. Will take and add a few pics soon. Don

edit: adding the Mixte pics. Paint touched up, Cleaned, Lubed all bearings. Still need to find better tires and swap the brooks for a much better one currently on my Raleigh Superbe. Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1535.jpg (1.52 MB, 720 views)
IMG_1529.jpg (719.5 KB, 720 views)
IMG_1532.jpg (739.8 KB, 714 views)
IMG_1533.jpg (830.5 KB, 713 views)
IMG_1542.jpg (817.3 KB, 719 views)
IMG_2635.jpg (1.55 MB, 697 views)
IMG_2637.jpg (1.23 MB, 698 views)
IMG_2638.jpg (697.0 KB, 687 views)
IMG_2639.jpg (915.4 KB, 689 views)
IMG_2642.jpg (799.2 KB, 693 views)
IMG_2640.jpg (614.6 KB, 695 views)

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 09-12-18 at 11:05 PM. Reason: add Jubile Mixte Pics
Old 09-11-18, 09:56 AM
motogeek 

Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
Posted elsewhere, but here's mine: Love at 1st sight BID, much later got a red, bare frame, sold as a 78 but been I.D. by experts as 75-77. Vitus tubing, SunTour dropouts, I think 1976 now, but who knows? Came with a Stronglight headset and 3 Huret clamps. Swap meets & trades for French parts & Shimano Arabesque DR's & brake levers, got the wheel set from Bill Stevenson at Bike Stand in Olympia, WA, my first B17 Saddle, I later carved to be Swallowesque, Giles Berthaud SS fenders & leather mudflap installed by Corey Thompson at the Bike Stand. Bag is a Rivendell, no longer avail. that I got for $5 at Recycled Cycles.(It had a Minoura bar /frame mount bottle holder attachment inside!)

It's a great, smooth, ride which I always brought along when we traveled, so ridden all over the Western U.S. Gets lots of positive comments and questions, best was "You're not from around here, are you?" from a roadie, on a Colnago, outside Tucson, AZ.

Also have a 1975 Mixte I got in 2016 & just finished the overhaul. Will take and add a few pics soon. Don
Nice build up on your GJ. Particularly like the Lyotard platform pedals. I use them on both of my Le Champions and 2 of my Grand Records.
Old 11-28-18, 07:10 PM
agmetal

So, I have this bike with me in Boston now, and I'm beginning the refurb process on it. I got the crank off (turns out that I actually had an original Stronglight crank puller on hand, that I brought up a couple years ago!), but the BB is quite rough and has a lot of play. I have a feeling that the cups are probably in rough shape, so I'm most likely just gonna replace it with a cartridge. The question now is, what's the likelihood of it being a Swiss-threaded BB? There are no markings on the cups.

Is there any easy way to date a GJ without the serial number? My grandfather passed away recently, and the last time I rode with him was two years ago when he was 86 - I rode a Grand Jubilé that my uncle rode when he was young, and my grampa rode his mid-'90s Fuji Team. My uncle took the Fuji, and I'll be getting the Moto when we're able to work out the logistics to bring it up to Boston, and I'm curious as to what year this bike was made.

Old 11-28-18, 07:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 1,439 Posts
So, I have this bike with me in Boston now, and I'm beginning the refurb process on it. I got the crank off (turns out that I actually had an original Stronglight crank puller on hand, that I brought up a couple years ago!), but the BB is quite rough and has a lot of play. I have a feeling that the cups are probably in rough shape, so I'm most likely just gonna replace it with a cartridge. The question now is, what's the likelihood of it being a Swiss-threaded BB? There are no markings on the cups.
Very unlikely, I think. Rumors of Motobecane using Swiss threaded bottom brackets are wide spread, but from what I've read these rumors are vastly overstated. My GJ (~75) and GR (72) both had French threaded bottom brackets, as have all others from the same period that I've personally seen or talked to anyone about.
Old 11-28-18, 07:56 PM
agmetal

Originally Posted by Andy_K
Very unlikely, I think. Rumors of Motobecane using Swiss threaded bottom brackets are wide spread, but from what I've read these rumors are vastly overstated. My GJ (~75) and GR (72) both had French threaded bottom brackets, as have all others from the same period that I've personally seen or talked to anyone about.
I just found this chart....if it's accurate, it appears that I have a French-threaded drive side cup.

Old 12-26-18, 01:10 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
A Christmas gift from my brother this year was a crusty old Brooks Professional on top of a SR melt forged seatpost. Kind of a strange gift on its own, but it came out of this:

I can't find any other evidence of the year, besides an earlier post by @Dougbloch in this thread. So I suppose it's a 1976, based solely on his post.

The only picture I have of it right now is from my brother, as he will be shipping it up to Illinois once he gets back to Texas.

What I know is that it has Huret rear dropouts, a SR Apex crankset, and what looks like the original Huret shifters.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in person, and I'm quite excited about this being my first French bike.

@Dougbloch, have you measured the angles on your frame, as well as fork offset? I'm pretty curious, there don't seem to be any published numbers on these.
Old 12-26-18, 08:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
There's a beautiful red 531 mid-sized model on seattle craigs right now. The seller says, "the paint on the Motobecane bikes was the best in the bike industry during the 1970s," and I can't disagree.
Old 12-26-18, 09:47 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
@ollo_ollo What make are the handlebars on the white mixte you posted?
Thanks
Old 12-27-18, 10:58 AM
ollo_ollo

Originally Posted by vintagerando
@ollo_ollo What make are the handlebars on the white mixte you posted? Thanks
Couldn't remember, so went down to check, Found I wrapped bars almost to the stem & no ID shows. They are randonneur bars, which I grab from our Co-op whenever I find a good set. Possibly unmarked as I recently one like that.

I like those by Philippe or Pivo for French. Also available from Velo Orange and Nitto. You will find lots in Co-op parts bins as Schwinn used them on some bike boom models. SR made some. I have a NOS, vintage bar on my Bianchi that I really like. It's marked SAKAE RANDNNER (their spelling) on 1 side and ROAD CHAMPION on the other.

Most of these vintage bars are quite narrow, but I'm small & OK with bars from 15 1/4" to 16" CTC at bar ends. Have a set that only measures about 14" that I'm saving for use by 1 of my grand daughters who is quite petite. Don
Old 12-28-18, 02:29 PM
Rocky Gravol

Bikes: Peugeot Course, Motobecane Super Mirage(RIP), Peugeot PKN10e Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts

Reynolds frame with NERVEX lugs, cyclone derailleur and a Stronglight 49D crank mark this as a 1976.
Only year to have that combo.
Old 12-29-18, 12:06 AM
ollo_ollo

You may find a date on the hubs of your GJ if they are original. I'm no expert but my 2, as well as all other 70's I have seen had the downtube "Motobecane" in block letters with just the "Made in France" part in script. I thought the all script style for both was earlier. Then again, it's French.

I finally got a decal set for my 85 Grand Record and went with a mix of earlier style decals because I like their look, especially that all script down tube. Much more elegant than what they did in 1985. Don
Old 01-09-19, 08:42 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
Well, I received my GJ frameset in the mail yesterday.

I tore it all apart last night and started the process of cleaning it up. Thankfully everything came out without a fuss. The frame tubes are clean on the inside, and all the bearings were adequately packed with grease, just over time the grease turned into a color and consistency very similar to peanut butter. What a mess!

I measured the angles and fork geometry, coming out with 73° for HTA and STA, and ~46mm fork offset. I'm honestly a little disappointed that it doesn't have more rake, but I guess I will have to live with it or have someone rework the fork.

French bottom bracket came out without a nicely. Crankset is an SR Apex 5. What on earth were they thinking with a 118BCD? I got excited thinking that it might be a 110, but no luck.

Overall the bike is very, very clean for its age, it now holds the award for "Cleanest Original Paint" in my stable.

It is, however, a bit grimy, and has grease stains around the headset races and BB shell.

What would be the best way to clean this paint up without damaging it? I did a little bit of work with mineral spirits and that seemed to be fairly gentle, but I didn't want to start working on a large area and screw up the decals or anything like that.

Anyone have any suggestions for getting grease discoloration out of the paint, and a good way to polish this old girl up?

Here's some pictures to show the kind of stuff I'm dealing with:

Old 01-13-19, 06:21 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by jeirvine
Here's a very tidy 1976 I couldn't resist form the local CL. Not my size, but it was a joy to work on. Interesting year: they started to add Japanese parts: SR cranks, Suntour mechs, but still had all the lovely quirky Frenchiness going on. French stem, bars, BB, and curiously, a Suntour freewheel in metric/french threading. I had never seen one of those before.

Here is the original CL pic. (Yes: I bought it for the Cyclones, Bar-cons, and seat.) :|

Well, now I'm the owner of this particular bike. The rear wheel was stolen from the couple who purchased it from @jeirvine, and they gave it to me. What to do with the frame...
Old 01-13-19, 06:23 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
What Comes Around...

I'm glad that the frame is still in good condition, and for their generosity. Now I need to source the right rear wheel, barcons and a cable stop for the downtube. I have saddles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.