Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Padded shorts for Peloton

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-22, 03:46 AM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts

Do people generally wear padded shorts when on a Peloton?

Or do the benefits of padded shorts for outdoor riding not transfer to indoor riding?
Old 09-20-22, 03:51 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Saddles and Padding thickness is a very personal Item.

Old 09-20-22, 06:27 AM
BJack312

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
I spend quite a bit of time riding on the trainer, and in my opinion good shorts are more important indoors than they are outdoors.
I don't seem to change position nearly as often indoors and certainly feel it more on longer trainer rides.
Likes For BJack312:
Old 09-20-22, 09:32 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Good padding and a good cream. I use bag balm for long rides. A saddle that supports your sit bones. This is important As you are sitting in one position for a longer time than a ride out doors. Also get good padded gloves and I use a good padding Handlebar tape. Move your hands around the bars during your ride. Overtime as you get adjusted you may want to invest in a rocker plate for your trainer.
Likes For Ed Wiser:
Old 09-20-22, 10:24 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Padding yes. I use chamois cream indoors as well but rarely use it outdoors. The lack of changing of positions causes a lot more friction issues indoors.
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-20-22, 11:07 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco

Or do the benefits of padded shorts for outdoor riding not transfer to indoor riding?
Yes, proper cycling shorts do provide a very real benefit. Quesiton: what saddle are you using on the Peleton? Hopefully not some wide cushioned vinyl PoS?
Old 09-20-22, 01:36 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
I think the Peloton specifically may be a little different to most indoor trainers. If you are doing the Peloton classes, then they're generally all an hour or less, and involve a good bit of out of the saddle riding. I found padded shorts to be much less necessary for this use case than when training on a regular indoor trainer or smart bike with longer durations and less out of the saddle time in general. It's the extended time in the saddle without a mostly fixed position that can make a chamois pad helpful for comfort. There's certainly no reason you can't use padded shorts for the Peloton but in my experience it's not all that necessary for doing the classes.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 09-20-22, 10:09 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I wear padded shorts for trips to the corner store. It is just so much more comfortable. This reminds me I need to go through my collection and toss some of them. They are all getting stretched out.
Likes For zacster:
Old 09-21-22, 05:52 AM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Quesiton: what saddle are you using on the Peleton?
It has the original saddle which is a decent road bike saddle with some cushioning.
Old 09-21-22, 06:52 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
It has the original saddle which is a decent road bike saddle with some cushioning.
Vinyl, leather, or something else? If he saddle doesn't breath a little it will cause issues. either way, a good pair of bike shorts will help.

It's a very personal choice, but I've had good luck with the Specialized RBX Pro shorts. Not a bad price, either.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 09-29-22, 03:53 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
I think the Peloton specifically may be a little different to most indoor trainers. If you are doing the Peloton classes, then they're generally all an hour or less, and involve a good bit of out of the saddle riding. I found padded shorts to be much less necessary for this use case than when training on a regular indoor trainer or smart bike with longer durations and less out of the saddle time in general. It's the extended time in the saddle without a mostly fixed position that can make a chamois pad helpful for comfort. There's certainly no reason you can't use padded shorts for the Peloton but in my experience it's not all that necessary for doing the classes.
Agree with you about the class length, but most Peloton classes are in the saddle almost the entire time. As such, I wear regular bike shorts for anything over 20 minutes. Compare that with SoulCycle, which have considerably more out of the saddle time. When I used to do SoulCycle, I'd wear regular workout shorts for hour-long classes with no problem. With the Peloton, I find I need the padding.
Likes For mattcalifornia:
Old 09-30-22, 03:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4397 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts

The benefits are exactly the same. I do a lot of indoor training and always wear my regular cycling bib-shorts. If anything I find the indoor trainer more demanding of my shorts (generally way more sweaty, largely fixed position with constant pedalling)
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-30-22, 12:12 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
At least outdoors your are constantly shifting position. Indoors you barely move your butt.
Likes For zacster:
Old 10-03-22, 11:45 AM
hroark

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Good padding and a good cream. I use bag balm for long rides. A saddle that supports your sit bones. This is important As you are sitting in one position for a longer time than a ride out doors. Also get good padded gloves and I use a good padding Handlebar tape. Move your hands around the bars during your ride. Overtime as you get adjusted you may want to invest in a rocker plate for your trainer.
ditto on all points. Makes a big difference.
Likes For hroark: