Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Converting to 1x10, need to maximize my rear teethies.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-25-22, 09:45 AM
schwim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts

Hello there everyone!

I've got a Charge Cooker fatbike that I need to get rid of the front derailleur on but can't afford to lose much granny(to streamline the thread, I have an issue with my left hand that makes left shifting sometimes impossible so "just keep the 2x" isn't an option). I've converted every other bike I've owned to a 1x via a n/w front ring 30t(the smallest I can fit on my big ring BCD), a wolftooth goat link for the rear derailleur and an11-42 cassette but because of the rotund nature of the fat bike and myself, I am really hoping to get a bit more out of the rear cassette in working towards the ratio I have with the current 22 front and 36 rear.

What are my options? I know I can use the smaller bcd of the front cranks for a smaller front chainring and just deal with the chainline being borked but I'm wondering if there are any snazzier options that are new since I last did all the research years and years ago.

Any help, thoughts or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks for your time!
Old 10-25-22, 01:44 PM
schwim

I found this 11-50 on Amazon. Is this something I can run with my current derailleur by adding a goat link or similar extender?
Old 10-26-22, 11:13 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Is the small chainring position any worse for running 1x then the larger position? As it is, on many fat-bikes the rings are already pushed pretty far out. Small position might even be better.

Also, there are rings designed to be run 1x in the small position with some offset to push them out some.
Old 10-26-22, 12:09 PM
schwim

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Is the small chainring position any worse for running 1x then the larger position? As it is, on many fat-bikes the rings are already pushed pretty far out. Small position might even be better.

Also, there are rings designed to be run 1x in the small position with some offset to push them out some.
It varies from bike to bike but in my personal configuration, the small sets pretty far inboard while the big is closer to centerline. It's not an absolute deal breaker for me if I need to use the small to get the necessary sized big ring but solving the issue on the back end could get me more granny while maintaining top speed (although I'm not there as often as many would be).
Old 10-26-22, 12:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Regarding using the goatlink for an 11-50 cassette: what is the max cog capacity of your RD to start with?

If you are already running them on your other bikes then you already have as much experience as anyone with them and more experience than most.
Old 10-26-22, 12:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

If you do pursue the small chainring thing, I bought one of these to run a 28t ring in the 64bcd small ring position on one bike. Is is offset to help with chainline.

https://northshorebillet.com/product...oth-chainrings

Y