Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Wrist HR Trackers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Wrist HR Trackers

Old 10-13-22, 03:37 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
I have an old Apple Watch and it tracks fairly well afaik . It coincides pretty accurately with my blood pressure device that my wife and I use. I have low blood pressure so sometimes my HR will increase to compensate and my watch lets me know. I haven’t had a problem cycling , my HR is within normal parameters.
Old 10-15-22, 02:27 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
The only problem I have with cycling is falling off the bloo*dy thing.
Did it aagin, yesterday on the way to the gym
I go to the gym to minimise my crashes, but alas, I use to bike for a warm up getting there.
There's a sharp corner leading off the cycle track which brings me there. I'd determined some time ago that I wasn't taking it fast enough, so I never brake now. when entering it.
It was wet yesterday and the leaves were down.
I'm an idiot, I know, I know.
My arm's been attended to, but still hurts. The bandage seems too tight.

More to the point, I decided to get an Omron BP and ECG Complete, which I love. It works well, but I can't wear it on my wrist..
Old 10-27-22, 07:49 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I like my Garmin Instinct, but it isn't cheap or simple. As far as the HR. I was concenern whether it would be okay with wrist sensor so I used a Polarchest strap (with another app) and the garmin at the same time for a while. The HR numbers seemed to always agree so I stopped bothering to use the chest strap.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 10-29-22, 07:41 PM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
I'm not interested in a bunch'ah dang numbers, but I find heart rate info far superior to no data at all. I am resistant to riding with electronics, but let's face it, who the heck doesn't ride with a smart phone? (People who want to die alone in a ditch, that's who... according to my wife). I like my Schosche arm band a lot, it has been glitch-free and works with many cycling apps. I wear it on my upper forearm, not my wrist.

Last edited by venturi95; 10-29-22 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-30-22, 01:10 PM
peterws

Originally Posted by venturi95
I'm not interested in a bunch'ah dang numbers, but I find heart rate info far superior to no data at all. I am resistant to riding with electronics, but let's face it, who the heck doesn't ride with a smart phone? (People who want to die alone in a ditch, that's who... according to my wife). I like my Schosche arm band a lot, it has been glitch-free and works with many cycling apps. I wear it on my upper forearm, not my wrist.
I never remember to take my phone. So I can't take any pictures either. I do manage to avoid ditches, but not crashes. I have them locally so's I can limp home if needed. I called in at the gym once, during the pandemic, after one such incident, enquiring about soon to reopen classes.
Blood was running down my right leg.
I've given up on wrist trackers, preferring to use my fingers against the side of my neck. Near enough for jazz . . . .
Old 10-30-22, 02:30 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
I never remember to take my phone. So I can't take any pictures either. I do manage to avoid ditches, but not crashes. I have them locally so's I can limp home if needed. I called in at the gym once, during the pandemic, after one such incident, enquiring about soon to reopen classes.
Blood was running down my right leg.
I've given up on wrist trackers, preferring to use my fingers against the side of my neck. Near enough for jazz . . . .
Yeah, I do a lot of dumb stuff so I have to wear a dog tag around my neck and always take my phone to identify the body, call for help, and keep the wife off my back. I've considered going to a GPS tracker for that last one, especially when backpacking and doing multi week or multi month tours.
Old 10-30-22, 03:16 PM
peterws

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Yeah, I do a lot of dumb stuff so I have to wear a dog tag around my neck and always take my phone to identify the body, call for help, and keep the wife off my back. I've considered going to a GPS tracker for that last one, especially when backpacking and doing multi week or multi month tours.
My Action-Man activities include collecting the newspaper for an early morning bike ride. One o' my 5 a day . . . . You Yanks may not understand that last bit ha ha'cos it involves vegetables . . . .
Old 11-08-22, 01:15 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by peterws
Just a q. about the Garmins mentioned here. Are the screens bright enough to see outdoors?
yes. I have a Fenix 5x. Very easy to read outdoors.