Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Funny dog/animal stories?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Funny dog/animal stories?

Old 11-09-22, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,270 Times in 7,223 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Not I, said the blind man. 🤔
It's one variation that conveys the number of tones in an owl's hoot. E.g., four tones is "Who cooks for you?" Who-who...who-whooo.
Old 11-09-22, 01:26 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's one variation that conveys the number of tones in an owl's hoot. E.g., four tones is "Who cooks for you?" Who-who...who-whooo.
It makes perfect sense now, in that context. After all, who answers a question WITH a question, better than Mr. Owl? 🤨😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 12-21-22, 11:21 AM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
I've had lots of animal "interactions" while mountain biking here in the hills surrounding Salt Lake City, Bountiful, and Ogden. One weekday morning, climbing up Mueller Park trail (in the mid 90's, before it got so overrun with people), I was coming up on a little elbow shaped turn that crossed a small stream. There was a little wooden bridge you crossed the stream with. It was really close to the water, and as I crested the rise, I startled a fat old bobcat from his morning "coffee". He must not have heard me coming, I guess. He took one look at me, I barely saw him move, then he was gone up the draw. I could hear him crashing through the underbrush but never did see him again.

Another morning, coming back down the same trail, you come around a bend where it kind of flattens out into a very small meadow littered with aspen trees. I was going at a good clip due to it being a weekday morning, and blew right into a small herd of mule deer. I was halfway through their group before they noticed me and scattered every direction. I hit the brakes, thankful I hadn't collided with them and they hadn't run into me.

Another time I was descending Big Water trail in Millcreek Canyon after a visit to Dog Lake, and spooked a juvenile moose somewhere up ahead on the trail. I chased him maybe a hundred yards, occasionally catching a glimpse or two of his rear end through the bushes and trees, when he finally turned off onto another trail going a different direction. Moose always make me nervous as I understand they can be temperamental. I was glad he decided not to chase me down the trail!

And I always enjoy seeing flocks of wild turkeys when I can. I don't know why, but I like 'em. I've seen flocks of them on several occasions, usually up Yellow Fork Canyon on the south west side of the Salt Lake valley...

But I really don't want to see any mountain lions! I'm afraid that by the time I see a mountain lion, he'll already be eating me....
Old 12-22-22, 11:18 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
One of my favorites

Old 12-23-22, 03:30 AM
Jeremyd123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lost dog in France followed us for a 5 minutes before we had to turn back and find their owner. Kangals in Bosnia causing a lot of grief