Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Colnago Mexico Oro Believed 70s Era

Old 11-16-22, 02:29 PM
hogusna91

Bikes: 1978/79 Colnago Mexico Oro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Colnago Mexico Oro Believed 70s Era

I have what I believe is a 78/79 Colnago Mexico Oro that I bought used in Vicenza in the mid-90s. Lots of original stock, but many replaced. I am considering having it re-plated and wondered if that would increase or decrease the value. Not planning to sell, but don't want to destroy value either.

Interested to hear the groups opinions on:
1) Value as is
2) Would re-plating the frame increase or destroy value?
3) Would returning the after-market parts to vintage-correct parts add significant value?

The details:
Presumed Original parts
Frame: Mexico (Columbus 4/10 Record), gold-plated, stamped F3, some corrosion and plating rubbed off, id'd as per Cycling Obsession
Fork: Gold-plated, stamped F3, plating is in good shape
Bottom Bracket: Type-2 Super Record titanium axle as shown on Cycling Obsession (Note: everything else makes me think the bike is from '78 or '79, CO thinks this axle is post-'82)
Group Set: Super Record, Colnago Tri-Color Pantograph, 54/42, 170mm
Rims: Nisi
Toe Clips, Bands, Bottle Cage all Colnago logo original

Unknown if original:
Spokes: Original were aeralpina, but the hubs are Miche, not sure if hubs/spokes were replaced

Aftermarket parts:
Tires: Specialized All Condition Armadillo (I had the original Clement tires, but blew one out years ago, should have kept them)
Stem and Handlebars: Cyclo man, 70mm reach
Seat Post and brake levers: Miche
Brake Calipers: Modolo Corsa

Note: I have pictures available once eligible to post them. Thanks all for the help.

Last edited by hogusna91; 11-18-22 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For hogusna91:
Old 11-16-22, 05:36 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
This one sounds really great but we really need some pics on this one; If you upload some pics to your gallery the members here can access them and help with posting. I'm really looking forward to seeing this Unicorn of bike never heard of or seen one. Welcome to the forums.

Last edited by zukahn1; 11-16-22 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-17-22, 08:44 AM
hogusna91

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks, I uploaded photos to my gallery. Hope you like it!
Old 11-17-22, 11:04 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Not really sure on value hopefully someone here can help. That is a very pretty and interesting bike. As for re-plating the gold I think it would be cost in effective could easily run a couple thousand if you can even find someone in your area willing and able to do the job right.

Old 11-17-22, 11:47 AM
hogusna91

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks and thanks for your help. The model has a really interesting history with the one Ernesto gave the pope now in the Colnago museum (I didn't know any of that when I bought it used in Italy). Unless I find something unexpected, I will probably just try to control the corrosion that's there and maybe add some of the missing vintage parts if I can find them reasonably priced.
Old 11-18-22, 09:38 AM
hogusna91

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Using Velo Retro's Colnago timeline has me more convinced that this is a '78 or '79:
It has the items introduced in '78:
- Fork crown for recessed brake bolt with shallow triangles cut into back
- Brake bridge for recessed brake bolt
It does not have the items introduced in '80:
- Fluted seat stay caps engraved COLNAGO and straight seat stays (no longer biconical shape)
- Brake bridge with square boss for recessed brake bolt
Old 11-18-22, 10:18 AM
zukahn1 

Did some looking when on ebay and did find a couple of these that sold for around $3000 in basically NOS condition with the original Campy gold components and no wheels from Florida as reference point for pricing. So I think this one would go for half that or a little less.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/18561364395...Bk9SR-CXibiRYQ
Old 11-18-22, 11:27 AM
hogusna91

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zukahn1
Did some looking when on ebay and did find a couple of these that sold for around $3000 in basically NOS condition with the original Campy gold components and no wheels from Florida as reference point for pricing. So I think this one would go for half that or a little less.

Thanks! It looks like that one is a Super, not a Mexico (crimped chain stays), but still a good reference point. I read somewhere that there were less than 100 Mexico's produced, though it seems difficult to verify. For the Super in the link, it looks like it was re-plated, so the re-plating doesn't seem to have damaged the value. Still, I watched a video of a French collector that searched for 10 years to find a Mexico Oro, so I am reluctant to risk re-plating it and have it damaged in the process unless the corrosion presents a greater risk (not to mention the cost of re-plating).

I did just see one on ebay titled "Colnago Mexico Gold 24 K Gold Plated" listed for $4,600 that is a Mexico in better shape and with more original parts than mine. I appreciate you taking a look and sending the link!