Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Help neede identifying MTB

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-20-22, 08:33 AM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 97 Posts

Friends, I need some help. Saw this MTB: Groove, type: Smith Pier Blvd. Seen the parts on it (Shimano Acera X, Suntour SR XR300) it's probably from around 1997? Can't find much info on the make. Was it related to Univega? I don't expect it to be high-end, but any info appreciated!

Old 10-20-22, 06:53 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
It looks like a relatively low end hybrid with parts that are in rough shape. Probably a step or two above say Wally-mart or similar but bolt on hub at the rear and a cheap RST coil fork and parts don't bode well for it. Hopefully it wasn't a big purchase and maybe you can flip it for the same you paid without putting much if any work into it.
Old 10-20-22, 07:21 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 341 Posts
My first thought was Wally World too. But a quick search turned this Portuguese outfit up. Maybe they're related.
https://groovebikes-com-br.translate...n&_x_tr_pto=sc
Old 10-20-22, 07:49 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Low end, but if you can get it riding with a new chain and cables, it would make a fine townie.
Old 10-21-22, 12:06 PM
LucasHartong

Bikes: '83 Viner Special Professional, '91 Pinarello Asolo 'spumoni', '93 Trek 930, '94 Giant Cadex CFR3, '97 Giant Atlanta MTB, '99 B1 Weblite Cross , '16 Cube Peloton Race.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 97 Posts
Well, this is how she turned out... I kinda like it. It's simple, basic, but tough and rides pretty well.

Likes For LucasHartong:
Old 10-22-22, 12:06 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
vintage is most likely mid to late 90's, midrange quality, not "low end" at all !.. Should hold up fine if you don't leave it setting outside in the rain/sun. Did the wheel bearings, steering bearings, and Bottom Bracket get rebuilt? Have fun!
Old 10-23-22, 11:40 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4322 Post(s)
Liked 3,943 Times in 2,636 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
vintage is most likely mid to late 90's, midrange quality, not "low end" at all !.. Should hold up fine if you don't leave it setting outside in the rain/sun. Did the wheel bearings, steering bearings, and Bottom Bracket get rebuilt? Have fun!
I would be curious to see what a low end bike would look like and then your high end bike, if Acera is the mid range?

From low end to high end on Shimano's spectrum (minus some odd ball stuff):
Tourney, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, Deore LX/SLX, Deore XT, XTR

On their website under their history they show Acera as an entry level gruppo. Also aside from on track bikes (or single speeds/fixed gears or IGH hubs) you don't really see bolt on hubs on quality more modern bikes. There are other signifiers of what it is. Not that you cannot enjoy the bike or anything but upgrading it to a midrange bike doesn't make sense. Yes the frame is chromoly but the old Trek hybrid I had was also chromoly and that bike was not much different then this aside from no suspension fork and it was a low end bike. It did its job for a while but it was a low end bike. I had no reason to say it was mid tier just to say it. AceraX was cheap but functional enough for what it was.

Agreed with not leaving it out and potentially rebuilding bearings but I warn not to spend a lot on the bike. This is again not a midrange bike make it functional for cheap as I think you may have already done but don't throw a ton of money at it. Save that money for something nicer down the road.

I am sure the OP will have fun on the bike and hope they do. Red housing does look good. Though I would make sure to add cable ends to those cables. Keep them from fraying which will waste a lot of time and money and require new cables rather quickly.