Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Advice on a bike (Felt B12)

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-22, 11:37 AM
Free2Rhyme2k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm new here. I enjoy riding bikes, but I have very little knowledge about bike tech and performance. I have a 2013 Felt B12, having being given it by a friend last year. I rode it a few times and it felt pretty decent. My question is, are there any obvious upgrades that I could make? I guess as a secondary question, is this bike any good...and if not, should I just flog it and get something new?

I want to post a picture of it, but i'm not allowed for some reason.

Bike Specification Frame Details:
  • Model Year: 2013
  • Material: Felt Aero TT/Tri UHC Performanced MMC carbon fibre Frame with 3KP Weave, InsideOut internal molding process, aluminium BB30 shell, internal electric or mechanical cable routing, carbon fibre dropout & aluminium rear derailleur hanger
  • Double bottle cage mounts
  • Braze on front derailleur
  • Replaceable forged aluminium rear dropout
  • Internal Cable Routing
Fork Details:
  • Felt Aero TT/Tri UHC Performance monocoque fork; 100% carbon fibre blades, dropouts with aluminium 1.125" steerer tube & crown
Wheel Details:
  • Felt TTR3
Groupset:
  • Speed: 20 gears
  • Bar Shifters: Vision Metron TT
  • Brake Levers: Tektro Aero
  • Chainset: Vision TriMax Pro TT BB30, 52/38T; 51cm=170mm, 54cm-56cm=172.5mm, 58cm-61cm=175mm
  • Bottom Bracket: FSA BB30
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
  • Front Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra
  • Brake Calipers: Felt Integrated Aero with cartridge brake pads
  • Chain: FSA Team Issue 10-speed
  • Cassette: Shimano, 11-25T
Old 01-29-22, 03:58 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
That's actually a pretty solid bike if it is in good condition. Especially if you're starting out. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Biggest consideration is making it fit for you. What basebar/extensions setup is on it? Does it have all the little stack spacers with it so you can adjust it? If it does, go get a fit done on it and ride that thing.

I might say to change out the cassette to a more modern 11-28 perhaps. As that 38t inner ring might be too much depending on where you plan to ride it.

Other good thing is it doesn't have a proprietary one-off cockpit either. So if you ever wanted to upgrade the cockpit to a modern Tririg or something, you can quite easily. Then you could go 11spd at the same time if you wanted.

I'd also perhaps ditch the wheels and get something in a modern width to handle a modern 23 or 25mm tire without any aero penalty. Also your body will thank you versus riding small tires. Given it's a 2013, I bet it was a time still for 19mm to 21mm tires. Which aren't much fun.

Also, go with a modern split nose saddle. Your bum will thank you for that.

Good bike, keep it, ride it. My first TT bike that I rode for a few years was a 2008 Felt DA. I kept the frameset in the shed just for memories sake.
Old 01-30-22, 01:29 AM
Free2Rhyme2k

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll take it to the bike shop and mention the things you have mentioned (so I look a bit like what i'm talking about) and see what they say. Will also get a bike fit done.

Cheers!
Old 01-30-22, 10:43 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 413 Posts
I Googled “2013 Felt B12” and got the below picture. You didn’t specifically say in your OP that you intend to use the bike for triathlon. Seems like a good bike for it if you are. Anyway…just want to point out that it ‘looks’ like that aero seat post on Felt is reversible…like the one on my Specialized Venge. In the pic, it is set up for triathlon geometry…a more forward position. But, it can be turned around (and the seat turned around) so that it’s farther aft to give you more of a road geometry. — Dan

Old 02-15-22, 06:00 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Get a bike fit (even online should give you some ballpark numbers) and ride it.
So, first: make sure it fits.

See what needs to be replaced (rear cassettes are easy to do it yourself with some tools), replace them if needed. Get yourself some tools and learn from YT videos how and what.

You will ride "always" in aero position. While that could work for you, I'd advise to buy a second, used, bicycle for not too much. Use that for hill training and all that.

But beautiful bike. I'd love to have it nothing wrong with it. I ride a Fuji Sportif with a different saddlestem and tribar setup. This would be a big step up!
Old 03-20-22, 11:16 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
The only suggestion I have regarding a Felt of those year is to check the hub/sprocket for being tight. They shipped a whole lot of these very loose and it was an easy thing to miss during assy.
Aside from that aspect I had a Felt F series that I liked a WHOLE lot for the price. Some user error concerning interpretation of proper torque on the stem led to my damaging the fork steerer and was very unhappy with the resolution, so I sold it.
Old 11-15-22, 02:09 PM
wannabe_me

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
All I have to say is the wheels. I rode a lot of Felt’s triathlon bikes and all of them have been great frames. You get a lot bang for the buck with them. But the wheels are the one thing that I would upgrade.