Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

76 Schwinn Suburban 10sp - I need wheel specs please.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 05:13 PM
thegrizz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

rear wheel has a fivespeed cassette with a GT500 rear derailleur. I need to replace these wheels with some tougher and lighter wheels and I am not confident in what size wheels I need to order.

I appreciate your help
The Grizz
Old 04-25-10, 05:59 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
It was specified with 27 x 1 1/4 tires, so you need to look for 27 inch rims. Aluminum will be a great idea. You also need a 5 sp hub in the rear, 6 or more will not fit the frame
Old 04-25-10, 07:00 PM
thegrizz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate the feedback.

Any idea on axle size, or more importantly, the spindle size that connects the hub? The drive train is gleamin clean and I dont want to start retrofitting if I can order a wheel set that will take the 5 speed hub that is on there.

Thanks again.
Old 04-25-10, 07:03 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
It was specified with 27 x 1 1/4 tires, so you need to look for 27 inch rims. Aluminum will be a great idea. You also need a 5 sp hub in the rear, 6 or more will not fit the frame
Actually, an Ultra-6 freewheel on a 5 speed hub will fit. Look into Sun CR-18's for rims. If you've already got alloy hubs you could go with those and just relace it to some new rims. Just make sure your spoke length is correct.
-Gene-
Old 04-25-10, 07:07 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

If your existing hubs are alright use those by all means. They are alloy and using them will cut down the cost
Old 04-26-10, 05:38 PM
thegrizz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As much as I like the high-flange hubs that are on there, the rim that they are attached to is heavy and weak. Are there any wheel sets out there that will take the stock freewheel that is on there?

I'm just looking for a new wheel set with a threaded hub that will take that 5speed freewheel. Sun CR18's definitely will work, but I want to be comfortable knowing which size hub will be acceptable.

I'm asking because of schwinns uncanny ability to make parts that are 2mm off on whatever part you seem to need and never find......

Appreciate the help very much.

-Grizz
Old 04-26-10, 05:44 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
i was just going to ask this question also, on my 72 suburban my front wheel is a tiny bit bent, it tends to rub on the front brake making a squeak sound, its driving me crazy and i just wanted to order a new pair of wheels that would accept the 5 speed freewheel.
Old 04-26-10, 06:01 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

The least you should worry about is the freewheel. You can find good replacement (great sometimes, like a Regina) 5sp freewheels for under $10.
Old 04-26-10, 06:15 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thegrizz
As much as I like the high-flange hubs that are on there, the rim that they are attached to is heavy and weak. Are there any wheel sets out there that will take the stock freewheel that is on there?
Unscrew the freewheel, cut or unscrew all the spokes, toss the rim and spokes, get new spokes and rims, lace rims up with new spokes, grease threads on freewheel, screw freewheel back on. (<- In this EXACT order) Voila, and saved you from having to buy new wheels.
There are plenty of places where you can get decent spokes for less than $0.50 a piece. And CR-18's can be had for less than $30 a pop. Your LBS may be able to lace them up for you cheap too if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.
And this will also keep you from having to worry about weird Schwinn stuff (though hubs were standardized 100mm front, 120 rear with 5-speed cluster). The weird Schwinn stuff was tire sizing and seatposts/stems.
-Gene-
Likes For Amani576:
Old 04-28-10, 02:29 PM
thegrizz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
27" cr18's it is. Thanks, everyone, for your help. I'm going to try to swap the freewheel. If it doesn't work, I'm taking your advice on the Ultra6....
Old 04-28-10, 02:53 PM
Zaphod Beeblebrox 
PanGalacticGargleBlaster

Bikes: Upright and Recumbent....too many to list, mostly Vintage.

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Why 27"? Sure the bike was made with 27" wheels but 700c gives you much greater options for Tire choices and will fit just as well.

Also a '76 Suburban should be 126mm rear spacing which means you can use a standard 5, 6 or 7 speed freewheel.

Ultra-6 Freewheels aren't cheap either...i was looking recently and New old Stock started at 60 bux...used you couldn't really do for under 30 unless you wanted one that looked like hell.

Honestly Your cheapest (and possibly least painful) route would be to order new 126mm spaced 27" or 700c front and rear wheels (either would work) from somewhere cheap like Niagara Cycle and get a new 7 speed freewheel for 15 bux and call it a new set of wheels....those cheap wheels from Niagara are as much per wheel as a CR-18 rim.

Last edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox; 04-28-10 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 03:10 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I noitced your comment about needing a tougher rim a couple of times. Those old steel rims were really tough, tougher than the aluminum replacements IMHO. It's just that they weighed a ton. So don't make the change to get something tougher. You will be disappointed.

One term I would not use in describing the old Schwinns is weak. Most were way overbuilt, heavy as heck, tanks.

Your two cheapest routes: the new Niagara wheels as mentioned above, or cheaper yet, a good donor bike where you can "borrow" the wheelset. If you don't mind steel rims, you should be able to get a steel wheelset super cheap. Just post a WTB ad here or on your local Craigs List. Many people just toss the old steel wheels.

+1 Don't worry about reusing that cheap and heavy freewheel. Replacements are much nicer, lighter, and cheap.

I had a 1974 Suburban, it had 120mm spacing. I would still use a 126 wheel instead. Its a steel frame and it will fit. That will also allow you to go up to six or seven speeds cheap.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-28-10 at 03:32 PM.