Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Aldi's Bike Stands on Sale

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Aldi's Bike Stands on Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 01:19 PM
USN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought one, does great, never owned one,saves your back and makes cleaning your bike easy...for maintenance, take it to the shop , am no mechanic...
Old 05-20-19, 01:19 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
I more had problems with the pedals hitting the tool tray, or the center post, maybe because I kept the legs too close in and didn't use the full extension of the horizontal arm
Old 05-20-19, 01:28 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Does it fold up when you're not using it?
Old 05-20-19, 01:34 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

not by itself, but yes you can fold the legs all the way up. The tool stand and horizontal arm would still be sticking out, but it is still balanced enough to be able to stand with the feet all the way retracted.
Old 05-20-19, 01:35 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Thanks. I'm short on space, so would like to be able to fold it up and stick it in a closet or whatever, to get it out of the way.
Old 05-20-19, 01:40 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Yeah, it would do great in the back corner of a closet, or horizontally under a bed, etc.
Old 05-20-19, 01:40 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Does it fold up when you're not using it?
Wasn't it folded up when you bought it and first took it out of the box ?
Old 05-20-19, 01:42 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Ain't opened the box yet, I was afraid if I assembled it, I'd be stuck with this thing and nowhere to put it.
Old 05-24-19, 10:37 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
You need to get a better stand then. A stand with a grip clamp that would clamp the typical amount of seat post sticking out of many classic bicycles and many modern fit (compact frame) bicycles is too short to be used for the frame tubes and would be lacking in support. Clamps on the Aldi stand and my Pro stand are large enough they will not fit the seat post on my bicycles, especially those with Campy seat posts which have an oval or tapered section, and being large spread the working load over a sufficient area not to cause damage.

When clamping to the bicycle tubing, use a microfiber cloth between the bicycle and clamp to prevent damage to decals, make sure the clamp is positioned as close to a butted/junction area as possible where the tubing is thicker. The Aldi clamp and most stands I have seen with proper sized clamps for fixing to the tubing also have a relieved area for accommodating top tube routed external brake cables, so clearly they were intended for that purpose. I will say, clamping to the seat tube, where the seat post is within the tube, if you bend that, then you are doing something wrong and might want to stop doing that. A heavy section of tube, with a seat post inserted down in it, bend that, I do not think so. That would be my preferred clamping location.

It is completely acceptable to clamp to the tubing, you just have to apply some common sense. If one does not have common sense, all bets are off no matter where the bicycle is clamped.
The stand I use in my day job is about as good as it gets. I've been working in the bicycle industry a long time. Long enough to see a lot of great bikes get damaged or destroyed from clamping the frame instead of the seat post. Accessories can be removed and seat posts can be raised. If you've had good luck clamping your frame in a stand, cool! Keep it up! My issue is statements like "It is completely acceptable to clamp to the tubing", and photos or videos showing bikes clamped by the frame. I feel like it gives the wrong message to folks just wanting to learn how to work on their bike. Ask any experienced bike mechanic where a bike should be clamped. The first possible spot should be the seat post.
Old 05-25-19, 02:18 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I more had problems with the pedals hitting the tool tray, or the center post, maybe because I kept the legs too close in and didn't use the full extension of the horizontal arm
turn the tool tray to the back

Old 05-25-19, 07:24 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
The stand I use in my day job is about as good as it gets. I've been working in the bicycle industry a long time. Long enough to see a lot of great bikes get damaged or destroyed from clamping the frame instead of the seat post.
This is particularly a problem with new bikes, where the paint may not have had time to fully harden. Like you, I always clamp on the seat post or the Park ISC-1 internal seat tube clamp.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-25-19, 12:16 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
This is particularly a problem with new bikes, where the paint may not have had time to fully harden. Like you, I always clamp on the seat post or the Park ISC-1 internal seat tube clamp.
Interesting tool, too bad it is discontinued as well as the ISC-4 .... hmm i wonder why?

Old 05-25-19, 08:30 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
Interesting tool, too bad it is discontinued as well as the ISC-4 .... hmm i wonder why?
I've got one of the original ones. Used it quite a lot back in the day, but it almost seems like having an old dummy seat post that's the correct size is quicker and easier most of the time. Especially with weird aero stuff.
Old 05-26-19, 08:24 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
The stand I use in my day job is about as good as it gets. . The first possible spot should be the seat post.
I completely agree that the seat post is the better place save for that some bicycles cannot be easily clamped there. These odd shaped hydroformed aluminum and CF frames, there may be no other place than the seat post.
Old 05-26-19, 03:16 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Bought the last one they had at the local Aldi's yesterday.

I set it up and it should be fine for what it is. Yes, some of the part may not last forever, but should be serviceable for my needs for many years. And, when a part does break I am confident that I could repair or improvise (with bolts/rivets/clamps) and keep it going.

For $25 it gets the bike much higher off the floor than my than my old school work stand from the '80's and holds it firmly enough to do most types of bike work. The handlebar stabilizer helps the main clamp to keep the bike from rotating.

Old 05-29-19, 01:33 PM
obeachron

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aldi's in Daytona Beach Fl, on Beville Road had 6 of them in stock yesterday, now they have 5 at $24.99. The Mason Ave store had none. This sale was 2 weeks ago and I'm surprised there are any left, maybe the shipment came in late?