Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rossin Record restoration project

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 03-21-20, 07:12 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 49 Posts

I'm going to do a Youtube video series on an 83' or 84' Rossin Record bike. The plan is a full teardown, overhaul and replacement of the worn parts, then reassembly with step by step documentation if anyone is interested in the process. I'll post updates on this thread hopefully weekly!

Old 03-21-20, 04:15 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Love to see it, especially as I own three,

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 03-26-20, 08:05 AM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

I've got the bike completely disassembled and currently cleaning/polishing parts. The bike came apart very nicely with nothing seized - no broken bolts, Etc. Overall, the bike is in wonderful condition with only a few scrapes and scratches on the frame. I took a few screenshot photos from the teardown video footage.

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 03-26-20, 06:01 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
A worthy and worthwhile project. Already a nice bike to own - best wishes.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 03-27-20, 07:44 AM
Le Mechanic

I've got part 2 posted on Youtube. It's a pretty long video - almost an hour, but it is a very detailed step by step with explanations of everything I'm doing. Lots of tips and tricks if you're new to working on or restoring a vintage Italian road bike!

Old 03-28-20, 12:05 AM
m_sasso

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts
Following along, watched both videos and will continue watching for the rest of the series. The bike you are working came apart easy peasy, was hardly ridden and certainly never left out in the elements for any length of time. Thanks for putting up the videos, spreading the knowledge is almost always a good thing and I look forward to seeing your work on the rest of the series.

I own two Rossin's both purchased as frames from Italy and built up to my liking. A 1979 Rossin Record Professional and 1982 Telaio da Corsa Rossin Record. The 82 is a resto-mod with all black Campagnolo Record and Super Record 11 speed components and the 79 is mostly Ofmega Premier, Mistral cranks and silver Campagnolo Record 10 speed components. They are great bikes, quality control was a bit spotty at times but the production end of the company was only there to support their race interests. Currently having Greg Softly at Cyclomondo recreate a special decal set for the 82 repaint. I love the artistry and craftsmanship of the frames but hard to beat the mechanics and efficiency of newer components when out for spirited rides.

Last edited by m_sasso; 03-28-20 at 12:21 AM.
Old 03-29-20, 12:27 PM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by m_sasso
Following along, watched both videos and will continue watching for the rest of the series. The bike you are working came apart easy peasy, was hardly ridden and certainly never left out in the elements for any length of time. Thanks for putting up the videos, spreading the knowledge is almost always a good thing and I look forward to seeing your work on the rest of the series.

I own two Rossin's both purchased as frames from Italy and built up to my liking. A 1979 Rossin Record Professional and 1982 Telaio da Corsa Rossin Record. The 82 is a resto-mod with all black Campagnolo Record and Super Record 11 speed components and the 79 is mostly Ofmega Premier, Mistral cranks and silver Campagnolo Record 10 speed components. They are great bikes, quality control was a bit spotty at times but the production end of the company was only there to support their race interests. Currently having Greg Softly at Cyclomondo recreate a special decal set for the 82 repaint. I love the artistry and craftsmanship of the frames but hard to beat the mechanics and efficiency of newer components when out for spirited rides.
Nice! Everything on this bike is in such great condition, I'm going to keep most of it original. I ordered some new Challange skinwall tires for it yesterday.

One question I have is does anyone on here know anything about dating based off a serial number? There's another thread on a Rossin very similar to mine with no numbers? Mine has a B 121 stamped on the non-drive side dropout that looks like it was stamped by the manufacturer since it has the matching frame paint in the text.

Old 03-29-20, 03:01 PM
m_sasso

Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
Nice! Everything on this bike is in such great condition, I'm going to keep most of it original. I ordered some new Challange skinwall tires for it yesterday.

One question I have is does anyone on here know anything about dating based off a serial number? There's another thread on a Rossin very similar to mine with no numbers? Mine has a B 121 stamped on the non-drive side dropout that looks like it was stamped by the manufacturer since it has the matching frame paint in the text.
You could try asking here https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintagerossin/
Old 04-06-20, 08:28 PM
Le Mechanic

I made more progress on the bike this week. Got a few new parts, got more things cleaned up, rear Campy hub rebuilt, and got the rear wheel rebuilt. The original rear wheel had been built with 3 different mistakes in the lacing process, but it's all been corrected and functions and looks great!

Old 04-13-20, 10:08 AM
Tinkel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Nice project
Have been building my own wheels too for a while and getting it right can be a true challenge i admitt
Keep up the good work
Likes For Tinkel:
Old 04-13-20, 11:17 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts

Neat project and presentation.
As for date code, and not to take my answer verbatim though it appears this bike is very much original. Catalogs on the interewebs might depict the model and specifics. With that, you've identified the Campagnolo derailleur including crank date code. My guess you've nailed it but had inventory Campy parts from 1981/82 for its build.

Ironic but I just completed another build that has Super Record, crank date code 1981 and rear derailleur 1982.

Looking forward to seeing your finished project. Cheers
Old 04-14-20, 08:00 AM
Le Mechanic

Got some more work done on the bike. Both wheels now built and got the 27mm wide tires installed. It was a tight fit, but they look really nice! There's plenty of footage of complete disassembly, cleaning, and tuning of the Campagnolo Super Record brake calipers.

Old 04-20-20, 12:25 AM
m_sasso

Came across a bunch of Tunturi Finish cycling catalogs yesterday 1985 through 1989. I can't read Finish, however it appears as thought they were the distributor for Rossin in Finland. There are specifications, pictures and many models included https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaarin/katalogit/ the PDF's are a bit slow loading, so be patient. Most of these bikes predate your bike which I suspect to be a early to middle 90's model.
These are actually the most complete catalogs listing Rossin's I have come across on the internet: https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija85.pdf, https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija86.pdf, https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija87.pdf, https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija88.pdf, and https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija89.pdf
There are also a bunch of other vintage cycling parts catalogs worth viewing.
Likes For m_sasso:
Old 04-20-20, 10:20 AM
Le Mechanic

Came across a bunch of Tunturi Finish cycling catalogs yesterday 1985 through 1989. I can't read Finish, however it appears as thought they were the distributor for Rossin in Finland. There are specifications, pictures and many models included https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaarin/katalogit/ the PDF's are a bit slow loading, so be patient. Most of these bikes predate your bike which I suspect to be a early to middle 90's model.
These are actually the most complete catalogs listing Rossin's I have come across on the internet: https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija85.pdf, https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija86.pdf, https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija87.pdf, https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija88.pdf, and https://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/txsaari...orailija89.pdf
There are also a bunch of other vintage cycling parts catalogs worth viewing.
Nice! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-20, 11:15 AM
Le Mechanic

Got the bike together enough to go on a quick shakedown ride. It's SWEET! I've still got a few missing parts get get it completely finished, but I uploaded part 5 of the Youtube video series. It's another almost hour-long video, but it's lot lots of close up, detailed footage of the assembly process. I'm also curious about the Cinelli stem that's on the bike. It has an aluminum bolt that connects to the wedge and a unique internal system to tighten the bars. In all my years I don't think I've ever seen this model and was curious as to what it is?

Anyway, here's the video:

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 04-20-20, 02:49 PM
m_sasso

The stem is a Cinelli Model 1/Record or 1R depending how old it is.

Last edited by m_sasso; 04-20-20 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 08:54 PM
Le Mechanic

The stem is a Cinelli Model 1/Record or 1R depending how old it is.

Yep, it's definitely a 1R stem. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-21-20, 09:08 PM
Le Mechanic

I couldn't resist riding the bike to work and back today. This thing rides very sweet. I found that my shoes with Shimano SPD road cleats fir into the toe clips just trying to see where they would line up if I were to modify a set of old cleats. It sort of worked, but it wasn't great.
I got this shot on the way home as I was riding through Cherry Creek State Park in Aroura Colorado.

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 03-26-21, 08:02 AM
Alejandro TwLe
Alejandro

Bikes: Colnago Tecnos, Medici Pro-pista, Alan Record, Klein Quantum II, Duarte

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Nice restoration! I'll be posting some pics from a restored Rossin record frameset I'm working on.
Old 04-06-21, 03:38 PM
Alejandro TwLe
Alejandro

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Here you can find detailed photos:

Likes For Alejandro TwLe:
Old 04-06-21, 04:42 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 172 Posts
That is one sweet Rossin, congrats!
Likes For 75lechamp:
Old 04-01-22, 12:29 PM
paulocaputo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
amazing job, congrats
Likes For paulocaputo:
Old 04-03-22, 07:02 PM
Le Mechanic

Originally Posted by Alejandro TwLe
Here you can find detailed photos:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNVK-fqFN7r/

That frames looks great! Where did you get the decals?
Old 04-04-22, 07:12 AM
Alejandro TwLe
Alejandro

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
About Rossin Record decals

That frames looks great! Where did you get the decals?
Thanks Le Mechanic, I made those decals. In case you need them I can share with you the vector file. Regards
Old 04-05-22, 01:34 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Keep it going.....

I just found a powdercoater for my Rossin Laser....and I'm mining the info.
Great work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.